Thread: A Henious Crime ?

A Henious Crime ?

Gentlemen of the collectors lounge.

Whilst looking through my various BSA spares today I found that an Airsporter/Mercury trigger housing screws perfectly into a BSA Standard cylinder.
    Furthermore this disgusting abomination would drop nicely into a BSA Mercury MK2 stock with a little work and looks quite sexy.

Should I take a cold shower and perish such evil thoughts from my mind, or should I just crack on with it ?

All the best Mick

It is an amusing idea. And interesting to see that BSA used the same cylinder diameter and threading for most of a century!

Do go for it, you can always take it apart.

Fix a swivel onto the finished product and mount it on a TE20. May as well go for broke.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

Whilst looking through my various BSA spares today I found that an Airsporter/Mercury trigger housing screws perfectly into a BSA Standard cylinder.
    Furthermore this disgusting abomination would drop nicely into a BSA Mercury MK2 stock with a little work and looks quite sexy.

Should I take a cold shower and perish such evil thoughts from my mind, or should I just crack on with it ?

All the best Mick
    I thought the threads were different (never checked)-------------But if they are the same, then the only thing that you would really be altering/butchering is the Mercury stock. Just think of it as something Bsa would have made if those nasty German chaps had not bombed the crap out of the old machinery.
    Go for it.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    It's okay so long as you don't use any 'wobbley' bits!

It's all BSA - so all good - just a 'Bitsa' instead - perfectly acceptable!

Go for it - you know you want to - we won't threaten to tell anyone!
    (well at least not until after you've done it and we can hold you to ransom that is! )

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

All the best Mick
    Thanks for that, never thought to try them together. I have quite a few bits available including Mercury stock and trigger. Got the Mercury bits to complete an Airsporter but forgot it does not have the extra lug in front of the trigger to fit cocking lever !

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Fix a swivel onto the finished product and mount it on a TE20. May as well go for broke.
    I'm actually building the ideal TE20 to mount this gun on, Steve. :-

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...psinrkf2yu.jpg

3.5 Rover V8 powered.

All the best Mick

Very interesting observation that suddenly had me thinking.. there was a close relationship between BSA cycle threads and their gun threads. The standard BSA bottom bracket cycle thread was / is 24tpi. Are the BSA Standard end blocks 24tpi? It would be nice (in an old fashioned way) if they are and the Standard cylinder id was also the same size as a cycle BB shell. Maybe I should take time out to rummage amidst the old cycle bits in the box in the shed.
    Note that Raleigh old threads were 26tpi but they changed over to the accepted standard of 24tpi many many years ago.
    Cheers, Phil

All the best Mick
    yes,have a crack at it and show us the pictures.does your "abomination" cock and fire ok?. ATB.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Do it.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Very interesting observation that suddenly had me thinking.. there was a close relationship between BSA cycle threads and their gun threads. The standard BSA bottom bracket cycle thread was / is 24tpi. Are the BSA Standard end blocks 24tpi? It would be nice (in an old fashioned way) if they are and the Standard cylinder id was also the same size as a cycle BB shell. Maybe I should take time out to rummage amidst the old cycle bits in the box in the shed.
    Note that Raleigh old threads were 26tpi but they changed over to the accepted standard of 24tpi many many years ago.
    Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil

I measured the threads at 20TPI this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    yes,have a crack at it and show us the pictures.does your "abomination" cock and fire ok?. ATB.
    Unfortunately screwing the trigger block into a spare Standard cylinder and dropping it into a Mercury stock is as far as I've got, but it all looks like a very doable project when I get time.

The only foreseeable problem would be the piston as the Standard piston rod won't latch into the Airsporter/Mercury top sear.
    Now the Standard cylinder is about an inch longer than the Airsporter cylinder so the obvious piston to use would be an Airsporter one with a nose extension.
    Alternatively a custom piston could be machined to give a longstroked gun.

Having bought the standard cylinder a while ago I have now accumulated enough parts (except for piston) from the good folks of the BBS to build a complete gun, but the challenge of building something different is drawing me in.

Decisions, decisions.

All the best Mick

the game is afoot!!,good luck. ATB

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.