Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 105 pistol early version

Crosman 105 pistol early version

Couldn't resist this Crosman 105 .177. (1947-53) This was the first pistol Crosman made and this was the first version. Dovetailed rear sight, changed to a different sight in second version. There is no mark on this pistol except the Crosman logo on the grips. I liked that the entire upper body is brass, that would change. Also old type hammer valve, that would change as well. The pumping handle wouldn't last either some couldn't fit their fingers in it, but I love the double cut out. It's not a powerhouse, but cool piece for a Crosman collection.

http://s168.photobucket.com/user/ski.../Crosman%20105
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-01-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Couldn't resist this Crosman 105 .177. (1947-53) This was the first pistol Crosman made and this was the first version. Dovetailed rear sight, changed to a different sight in second version. There is no mark on this pistol except the Crosman logo on the grips. I liked that the entire upper body is brass, that would change. Also old type hammer valve, that would change as well. The pumping handle wouldn't last either, but love the double cut out. It's not a powerhouse, but cool piece for a Crosman collection.

http://s168.photobucket.com/user/ski.../Crosman%20105
    Hi,

Thanks for posting the pictures of what I consider to be the most elegant pump-up pistol ever made. I also have an early version with the two open loops as present on your example. The cocking arrangement may seem delicate but, with a little care and restriction to no more than six strokes I wouldn't anticipate too many problems. Iv'e found six strokes to be perfectly adequate at 10 metres with the lack of recoil and long sight radius making this a very accurate pistol capable of quite easily reproducing 1" groups at that range.

If I were judging on appearance alone, I would still go for the Crosman 105 / 106, but the self-cocking mechanism on the Crosman 130 is a really nice touch.

Regards

Brian

I really don't like the plain stamped metal pumping arm of the 130. To me it looks unfinished and cheap. I love all the brass of the 105, even the cocking arm, plenty strong if used as intended. I agree with the 6 pumps on the 105 and not a whole lot of effort, be interesting to chrony it this week. It just to me is a good mate for the 102, kind of the same mold. It's really the only Crosman pistol I was interested in, and not expensive to collect.
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-01-2017 at 12:45 PM.

I really don't like the plain stamped metal pumping arm of the 130. To me it looks unfinished and cheap. I love all the brass of the 105, even the cocking arm, plenty strong if used as intended. I agree with the 6 pumps on the 105 and not a whole lot of effort, be interesting to chrony it this week. It just to me is a good mate for the 102, kind of the same mold. It's really the only Crosman pistol I was interested in, and not expensive to collect.
    Hi,

I know where you're coming from with the 130 pumping arm although I still prefer it to the variant with the wooden handle.

My Crosman 130 is from the Canadian factory and sports a very nice pair of white grips similar to those found on the later Co2 powered Crosman 150.

Brian

I've the same Canadian built 130 and whilst the white grips are nice I prefer the wrap round ones I've fitted a few 113 o rings onto the press steel handle to stop it banging into the tube
    link won't open for a pic of yours but I have a 112 which is the same gun but bulkfill co2 instead of pump and .22 rather than .177

I completely agree that the 105/106 "Bullseye" pistol is a great design. It is almost a blueprint copy of the Benjamin pistol introduced in the mid '30s. Internally, it uses the exact same valves and seals found in the 111-120 models, so, parts are easy to get. The valves screw a part, so all that is really needed are the seals for maintenance.

Regarding the cocking handle, just don't put your fingers inside the loop when closing, instead use your palm on the outside of the loop and there is little chance of the lever breaking.

There is a very specific reason that this model was replaced by the model 130: valve lock. Valve lock is when the gun is over pumped to the point that the valve will not open when the hammer hits it. The only solution is to disassemble the gun and manually force open the exhaust valve. At Crosman, when a gun is "repaired" without anything being wrong with it that is assigned as a design failure. So, the designers (Rudy Merz at the time) were under management pressure to fix the "faulty" design.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    I completely agree that the 105/106 "Bullseye" pistol is a great design. It is almost a blueprint copy of the Benjamin pistol introduced in the mid '30s. Internally, it uses the exact same valves and seals found in the 111-120 models, so, parts are easy to get. The valves screw a part, so all that is really needed are the seals for maintenance.

Regarding the cocking handle, just don't put your fingers inside the loop when closing, instead use your palm on the outside of the loop and there is little chance of the lever breaking.

There is a very specific reason that this model was replaced by the model 130: valve lock. Valve lock is when the gun is over pumped to the point that the valve will not open when the hammer hits it. The only solution is to disassemble the gun and manually force open the exhaust valve. At Crosman, when a gun is "repaired" without anything being wrong with it that is assigned as a design failure. So, the designers (Rudy Merz at the time) were under management pressure to fix the "faulty" design.
    Hi Dean,

Thanks for the additional comments and recommendations regarding the use of the Crosman 105/106 models. I guess designs produced in such large numbers will always have some owners who abuse them to some extent resulting in an often undeserved reputation for poor reliability.

Regards

Brian

Did the Benjamins valve-lock as well if overpumped?

Did the Benjamins valve-lock as well if overpumped?
    Just about any knock-off battery pneumatic will valve-lock. The only difference is how many pumps it takes to happen, it's inherent in the design.

The Crosman 101 series avoided the problem, since it had an external hammer so that the valve could be forced open without disassembly.

Benjamin didn't have a design engineer, top management always did the designing in their spare time. If they experienced returns for valve lock, I have no idea. The only reason we know about it from Crosman is that it was discussed in service bulletins and, of course, the innovative series of blow-off battery designs starting with the model 130.

valve lock isn't a bad thing imo as the concept allows many pumpers to be kept within our limit by balancing hammer strike against valve pressure and once optimum pressure is pumped into the valve any more causes the velocity to drop

45flint

Am no big fan of these pumpers but do like early stuff , and the brass body and barrels look great .
    I was looking at one of these myself for sale online here on the national free adverts website and its a Model 105 in .22 . Are these rare ? Seems expensive but here in Blightey , its a case of " when do you ever see ......" Something very nice looking to my eyes anyway in a worn finish over brass . The later stuff as mentioned above with pressed steel etc totally of no interest , but early , now that would fit better in with my collection .
    Some would polish this way too far bright i.m.o. but I would keep just as it is !

Hi,

The Crosman 105 / 106 are both very hard to find in the UK, especially with two open rings on the cocking arm. I would estimate somewhere between £140-£180 would not be unreasonable for a complete and functional example.

These pistols are a pleasure to shoot and the five or six pumps needed for sufficient power at 10 metres requires little effort.

Regards

Brian

In the USA these are not a rare gun, but also one you don't see every day. The 22 is the most common but I don't think the .177 gets a premium. I paid $125 on a auction site which I thought was on the high side, but I wanted the gun and it looked in very good shape. You are like me the brass build makes it, and I'm glad I added it to the collection. No power house 6 pumps and put a hole in paper. The Atlantic Ocean is so frustrating to collecting, I would love the English made Hy-Score, which I found in a English shop on the web, but customs pretty much eliminates shipping. We need to get some sort of way to exchange guns without all this mess. These are vintage air guns, when's the last time a terrorist used one?

Good buy then I think

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

The Crosman 105 / 106 are both very hard to find in the UK, especially with two open rings on the cocking arm. I would estimate somewhere between £140-£180 would not be unreasonable for a complete and functional example.

These pistols are a pleasure to shoot and the five or six pumps needed for sufficient power at 10 metres requires little effort.

Regards

Brian
    Thanks , so what is the difference between the 105 and the 106 ?
    I saw this and thought the price was reasonable so does tie in with your comments :
    http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy__sel...75-posted/view

Does appear to be the '' two rings" cocking arm you refer to ?

re Customs

Yes I agree !

People I know have been successful here at getting stuff ....I'd love a few Co2 classics ....45Flint Put me down please for a (X).... and a (X) and in rarer silver and a (X)...in the multi shot version .......

nb (X) deleted due to extreme risk off over excitement by readers not familiar with classic Americana
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 20-01-2017 at 01:34 PM.