Thread: pellets spiralling .22 hatsan at44

pellets spiralling .22 hatsan at44

Noticed the accuracy was a bit scatty when I was at the range yesterday, on a couple of occasions I noticed a pellet spiralling in flight. I thought this only happened at high speed, ie 177/fac? I've cleaned the barrel but is there anything else that could cause it? I was shooting air arms Diablo field pellets in 16grain

Quote Originally Posted by svendogg View Post
    Noticed the accuracy was a bit scatty when I was at the range yesterday, on a couple of occasions I noticed a pellet spiralling in flight. I thought this only happened at high speed, ie 177/fac? I've cleaned the barrel but is there anything else that could cause it? I was shooting air arms Diablo field pellets in 16grain
    What's the condition of the barrel crown?
    Ex-Airgunner

I would check the power before trying different pellets - what pellets were spiralling?
    Donald

secretagentmole Guest
    What pellets are you using? Start with the obvious and work backwards. Only time I saw pellets spiral in flight was when I was using Spitfires in a B2....

Using air arms Diablo field pellets, chrono'd with same pellets a couple of months back at 11.2 ft/lbs. Crown looks OK to me, I'll post a pic later

I will probably change pellets soon anyway, the pellet tests I did at home (15 yards) showed the air arms field to be OK, but not the best. Jsb Diablo, h&n FTT and superdomes all produced smaller groups. As it was only whacking a few spinners around I thought I'd just use the air arms up as they were acceptable accuracy but not the best. Obviously the spiralling is an issue I need to get to the bottom of though

Knockedover is offline Strength.Determination.Merciless.Forever.
    Is it shooting to different points of aim over different distances, left or right of vertical? Often the "spiralling" that's seen through the scope is just optical illusion and bears no resemblance of what's actually happening down range.

Gun was firmly wedged in a foam rest, so I don't think it's a case of the gun moving and making it appear it's spiralling. It only happened on a very small number of shots, but it's there nonetheless

secretagentmole Guest
    Bad batch of pellets?

Maybe. I'll retest all my top 5 at 30 yards and see what happens. Bad batch/ barrel don't like them is what I'm thinking at this point. I'll post a pic of the crown later

Test the barrel by slowly pushing a pellet through it in the direction of firing.

I use a brass brazing rod for doing this.

Checked this on the barrel of a basic gun and found that the exit of the barrel had burrs in the rifling that were catching the pellet.

Had a set of Lidl dremel bits that include green hard bits that do a perfect job of polishing metal. The tapered green bit fits in barrels and does a perfect job of polishing out burrs.

Lidl bit set is coming in stock shortly (no I don't work there) and are about a tenner for a huge set.

Have also used these bits to polish out the loading part of tight barrels.

The cheap gun mentioned above could hit cans at 20M, now it can hit coins!

"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Best pic I can manage of the crown, bloody hard with camera phone!

Try it without the moderator, sounds like its clipping.
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)