Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone actually encountered a Happy Gun shop??

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Two of the most welcoming gunshops that I have ever visited were Purdeys and Holland & Holland in Mayfair. Even though it was clear from my appearance that I could not afford their guns, clothes or safaris. I bought a bottle of oil and a penknife as my way of saying thanks for them letting me look round for so long.
    Yes, I second this nomination for Purdeys, really friendly and helpful staff even though you might be of a different 'discipline'. However, Ronnie Sunshine's, Berkhamsted gets my vote for airguns - really friendly and knowledgeable staff, with a 'can do' attitude. They are just as attentive whether you spend £150 or £1500 on a gun purchase, and smaller purchases are just as important to them.
    I have a caravan sited in Devon, so I am hoping their sister store in Newton Abbot is just as good when I visit this year unless of course, someone can tell me different.

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post
    Yes, I second this nomination for Purdeys, really friendly and helpful staff even though you might be of a different 'discipline'. However, Ronnie Sunshine's, Berkhamsted gets my vote for airguns - really friendly and knowledgeable staff, with a 'can do' attitude. They are just as attentive whether you spend £150 or £1500 on a gun purchase, and smaller purchases are just as important to them.
    I have a caravan sited in Devon, so I am hoping their sister store in Newton Abbot is just as good when I visit this year unless of course, someone can tell me different.
    Yep, always find Ronnies in Berko to be friendly. Nearer to home... My local RFD have been a family business for getting on 50 years. Dad, two sons plus three or four staff, I love going there as they have a very well stocked shop and will order anything they don't have but.....there is a miserable (family) Bugger I prefer to avoid. The rest are good though and I feel comfortable to look around in there for an hour or so without feeling unwanted. I've spent a good bit of dosh in there mind.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

hi, what about aaron wheeler in brighouse,iv had a few things from there aarons ok. atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    **Rant mode on**

Miserable sods

Why is it that every gun shop that I seem to frequent the staff are so sodding miserable

I won't mention no RFD names but within a 30 mile radius I have visited at least 9 RFD's and 8 of them I would consider to be not very friendly one of them is ok but he's still a miserable sod

Do we actually have that thing called a Happy Gun Shop??

**Rant mode finished**
    Not sure about the happy gun shops, but I'd be over the moon if I had 9 gun shops within 30 miles. I've got one...
    6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy...!

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    country ways west malling in kent its a big place its a barn lol clothing shells shotguns rim fire you name it they have it give them a visit if you ever come this far they are happy to help with what ever your needs well worth a visit
    I second that bought a complete set up recently and similar a year before that, fair prices, plenty of stock held and good range and good service with knowleable staff, my go to shop and it's no the nearest to me by far.

I've been to a few less than happy gun shops but luckily the majority are usually very welcoming. For example Protek of Bognor always offer a cuppa and a biscuit on top of the gun related chat. Very knowledgable and hard working chaps too.

John

re

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Blackpool Air Rifles. Only been there once, 700 mile round trip, worth the 13.5 hours driving.
    Yup lots ov fun normally talking about zombies or Nazis or both together,redbeck also pickering guns seem good.

Keith sports Saltburn coffee cake and discount usually in there about an hour

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Despite not being located near Woodfield Products (Will Gerke - Welsh Willy), always a warm friendly welcome whenever I visit.......
    +1 for that. I've always found Will to be happy to discuss his products and freely give his advice over the phone too.

Also, AAron Wheeler Gunsmiths in Brighouse (West Yorkshire) gets a thumbs up from me. Aaron himself is a top rate REAL GUNSMITH in the full sense of the name, who could make you a percussion powder burner from scratch if you asked him. He can be quite forthright (being a Yorkshireman), but is attentive to all customers and is not devoid of a sense of humour either.
    He recently did me some very nice work, threading the muzzle and touching up the crown of my HW80 barrel, and all for an extremely modest sum.

Clogger

Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAZ View Post
    Sandwell field sports is always a nice shop to visit, you always get a cup of tea and a biscuit and if you pop in on a Saturday, you get a pork pie,
    Very true. I often drop in on my way up to see the folks. Best Motorway Service station in the kingdom! If you get offered a cuppa and bit of pie you know you've made it. I could spend hours in there chatting away.

Near me:
    Weybridge Guns & Tackle: chap and his wife (i think) always seems very happy. Chap is often sitting in his chair, pipe in mouth, stroking his dog.
    William Evans: Been in a few times for bits and pieces. Last time I wanted a recoil pad for my shotgun - I had ordered one online but they sent me the wrong size and I needed it for the weekend. Young lad was really patient and even asked the gunsmith if he could fit it in that day for fitting - sadly not really tried to accomodate me.

I pop along to Pickering Guns about once a month. Rob and Col are always friendly, helpful and happy to put the kettle on

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    My Weston's feedback is that I first went there about 20+ years ago and got ignored for ages, then got no shrift in suggesting they were asking a bit much for an FWB Sport in good nick, except that someone had cut the barrel down in a shed and glued a BSA Scorpion cocking aid on the muzzle.

Whereas I was there three or so years ago, and they were immediately welcoming, chatty, and generally nice. If they had had something I really wanted, I'd have felt good about buying it.
    Westons are much better now, they used to have loads of stock and stuff just used to sell - now the world has changed, and the staff mostly, the attitudes have got much much much better ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    You guys have local gunshops ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

My best local gun shop only traded on Tuesdays and Sundays at Melton Mowbray cattle market. They have closed.boo.
    They have opened a shop. Hooray. And now open 10-4 Thursday to Saturday.

Always very helpful. Knowledgeable. Both the owner and his missus shoot air rifles.
    Half the shop sells airsoft, owned by his son.
    Leicestershire airguns. Family run business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    You guys have local gunshops ?
    5 mins walk from my house