Unfortunately, Nick, this has been my experience over the years also.

There's a shop in a village six miles from home and he's a proper surly git. Because of the proximity, if it was "right" it could have been my go-to shop. I visited there nine years ago and vowed never to go back and I've heard bad reports from all those that have visited since.

About seven years ago I first visited what is now my regular shop and the owner is a really nice chap. Very helpful. Loyalty works both ways. He always looks after me on price and offers excellent service, so he gets all my business....Net result for him....I think it's about nine or ten guns I've had from him and he's also sold plenty to people who I have recommended.

By far the best service and buzz I've ever experienced was when dealing with Ivan and Dave when they were at Cradley Heath. Always a warm welcome. Always friendly. And they'd take the time to chat even though they must have been incredibly busy. I suppose the defining difference is that you're dealing with dedicated enthusiats who live, breath and eat our beloved little toys.

As you know, I work in retail myself and understand the importance of being enthusiastic and offering good service, before and after the sale.....I would LOVE my own little shop, but it'll have to remain a dream for now.