Thread: Break barrel pcp?

Break barrel pcp?

Having just returned from an afternoon stroll in the cold sunshine, I made a coffee, picked up the latest AirGun World, a couple of digestive biscuits and then thought 'Why is there not a break barrel pcp?' Then I remembered that there was one once... the BSA Spitfire, but sadly it seemed to die despite its two versions and the concept seems to have died with it. Why? For some time I owned one of the hi-fill versions but sold it as it was not getting used and I had been told that to keep it in good order it needed to be used often. I also remember that the design, by the renowned Mr Bowkett, was not owner friendly and self maintenance was actively discouraged. But if I remember correctly, shot count was not too bad, most likely in BSA Ultra territory.
    So ... with today's valving technology, would it be possible to design and produce a viable modern break barrel pcp that was able to be owner serviced, maybe akin to the S400 which are, I believe, quite user friendly as far as maintenance is concerned? An advantage could be direct to barrel loading without the need for a probe and, possibly, a shorter air transfer tube making for more efficiency. Possible disadvantage ... single shot but then I suspect the break barrel direct loading would not be too much of a disadvantage.
    Maybe it would not be viable given the current plethora of standard pcp designs with barrel over the air cylinder. But then it might just be novel enough to succeed. It could certainly gain in the aesthetics department by looking like a 'proper' rifle.
    Just thoughts ....
    Cheers, Phil ..... back to the coffee.

Must be honest & say to me that's the worst of both worlds .

with a bolt/side lever action you can get a longer, more efficient barrel in a more compact package.
    As for looks the Huntsman or S510 look as much like a proper rifle (as you put it) as anything on the market .

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Must be honest & say to me that's the worst of both worlds .

with a bolt/side lever action you can get a longer, more efficient barrel in a more compact package.
    As for looks the Huntsman or S510 look as much like a proper rifle (as you put it) as anything on the market .
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .... but I take your points.

Cheers, Phil