Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is sub12 .177 cal. Air rifle able to hunt rabbits?

Is sub12 .177 cal. Air rifle able to hunt rabbits?

I don’t want to open a can of worms and start a storm of opinions between .177 and .22 , I just want hunting experience opinion regard using .177 in rabbit hunting, I love to throw a chunk of lead pellet and all my rifles are sub12 and most of them either .22 or .25 cal. I use them all in my best control and hunting rabbits, grey, etc… I want to give a try in using .177 (sub12) in rabbit hunting but I am not so confident! So !!! before I start shooting bunnies with sub12 .177 cal. I need a genuine opinion from those used .177 in rabbits hunting with sub 12 rifles in .177 cal. !
    Cheers

177 will take rabbits no bother with nice clean head shots at the right distances

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes I was doing it for years.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I only shoot for pest control, mostly rabbits
    I made the switch from .22 to .177 in my sub 12's about 10 years ago (if not more)

If anything, my tally has improved.

.177 is more than capable of taking rabbits
    B.A.S.C. member

I used to but noticed I was getting far more runners/squealers with .177's than with .22's,
    shortly after I switched to .20 & no longer shoot .177.
    My personal view is that .20 & up have much more "clubbing" effect on impact, over the smaller, lighter, faster, .177, which aids the mortality rate.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    The best way to avoid the screaming and animals dying in pain when you get a flyer is to stick to target and plinking, you must have a conscience other you would not be asking the question

.177 is fine.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

With any sub 12ft/lbs air rifle it is not about hitting a squirrel, a rabbit, a rat, or a pigeon, it is about hitting a heart, a brain, a vital that gives an instant result. What calibre is irrelevant if the heart or brain destroyed.
    Those vitals are very small.
    A responsible hunter will not only know how to hit those vitals at any angle but also know the range he is capable at doing so every time.

Many find that they are more pin point accurate with a .177 at longer ranges. However, keep to farmyard sub 25m ranges, and then all the calibres should be pretty pin point accurate if the shooter does their part.
    You need to hit a polo mint, or bottle cap, sized target in field conditions. That means a lot of practice shooting field condition targets.

If you mess up on game, and at some point you might, you should feel shit about it. However, nature is cruel, and there is nothing wrong in taking the natural bounty. A good sportsman should minimise the chance of bishing up a shot by putting in the practice; have respect for your quarry. Which is a lot better than our ancestors driving bison over cliffs.

Poor bunnies
    Good deals done with: Aimstraight, mulletman6, GwyneddATC, evo97k, Hotwired, Ryan hw99s & Clipper.
    Gun owned .177 FAS 6004 Target pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by massa View Post
    I don’t want to open a can of worms and start a storm of opinions between .177 and .22 , I just want hunting experience opinion regard using .177 in rabbit hunting, I love to throw a chunk of lead pellet and all my rifles are sub12 and most of them either .22 or .25 cal. I use them all in my best control and hunting rabbits, grey, etc… I want to give a try in using .177 (sub12) in rabbit hunting but I am not so confident! So !!! before I start shooting bunnies with sub12 .177 cal. I need a genuine opinion from those used .177 in rabbits hunting with sub 12 rifles in .177 cal. !
    Cheers
    Yes but not at close range, I've used .177 for a lot of bunnies but favoured heavy pellets, generally h&n baracuda hunter, admittedly I tend to leave the bunnies alone these days though.

Still using the same pellet on greys and rats, that and the standard h&n baracuda match (bisley mag) for 30+ yards. The latter still go straight through and out the other side even at that distance, I go heavy .22 for >27 yards and .177 beyond that. Easy choice when shooting squirrel feeders at pre determined ranges, the .177 drops them nicely at longer distances but I didn't get the desired knock down effect close up.
    Last edited by capt hindsight; 29-07-2023 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    ......You need to hit a polo mint, or bottle cap, sized target in field conditions..
    Had to grin. A Buffalo Bill type at work said he could hit a polo mint at 50 plus yards with a hgv spring in his HW 77 in .177 ! Wow

I bought a .22 Webley FX2000 when they came out, specifically to control the Rabbit population on some land belonging to a friend.
    I successfully accounted for quite a few, but have to admit to being a bit put off by watching the flight curve of the .22 pellet, so bought a .177 FX 2000 as soon as they became available, and accounted for even more rabbits without the annoyance of watching the flight curve of the pellet, so yes, .177 is fine for Rabbits as long as your accuracy matches the performance of your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Had to grin. A Buffalo Bill type at work said he could hit a polo mint at 50 plus yards with a hgv spring in his HW 77 in .177 ! Wow
    It can be done, but it might take a good few shots to zero in. That's target plinking, not hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by davethepitch View Post
    Poor bunnies
    Why poor rabbit?
    What is the lot of a rabbit in life? Loads of predators want to eat them. Plenty of nasty diseases for them to die to, and plenty of parasites eating off them. And then there is the real possibility of cold and starvation over the winter. In the mean time they eat, sleep, and bonk, as only rabbits can.
    They are cute, and they also taste great.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Why poor rabbit?
    What is the lot of a rabbit in life? they eat, sleep, and bonk
    Sounds Ok to me