Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shock at Holts auction charges

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    i know that a lot of folk don't like holts and their charges/costs to buy and sell but nothing is hidden,they have a ready reckoner on the lot listing to see the total amount payable,
    if somebody has a nice collectable item for sale why not ask what they want for the piece and sell on here,i am sure it will find it's value with no commissions and safe delivery.

Holts give a great service and have to charge for it. Many people find themselves with a gun and have no idea how to dispose of it. Some just hand it to the police for destruction. Holts has it uses.
    Their terms are clear, don't liky don't usey. I've had good luck on the whole when buying from auction houses; just do your calculations and don't overbid. Never buy without viewing. Auction contract is very different to any other selling/buying; the hammer is a contract.

Have rare gun and can't find a buyer? Then Holts or one of the other auction houses will for a price. You can't find a buyer, they will or at least give it a go. Sometimes their market will pay way more than you ever thought possible.

No one is forcing you to use them. I say good luck to them.

Personally, when buying, I prefer the auctions that do not have internet bidding as, in my opinion, its use has tended to push prices up as you get more bidders. Selfish? Of course it is but I prefer less competition.....
    I have never sold via Holts but have bought from their Sealed Bid auction; got a couple of real bargains as well, even allowing for the commission on buying.
    And beware: VAT is usually only payable on the buyers commission but, and a big but, if you buy a product that has come straight from a dealer and is classed as 'new' (i.e. had not been sold by the dealer and is not s/h) then you pay VAT on the hammer price, plus, of course the VAT on the commission. Auction houses should make you aware of this before bidding starts.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I say good luck to them.
    Well I don't. They are a necessary evil and obviously we don't have to use them.

I'd wish them luck if their commissions came down to reflect lower marketing costs or if, for instance, they 'shared risk' by having a sliding scale - so if guns sell well the commission is x and if they don't, the commission is x-1.

I won't be using Holts again as a seller at least - I did so only because I had to and, like Mac, I was disappointed by the huge amount they extracted from my sales. If they had sold for high prices, I may feel differently, but they didn't.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post

... but to pay £150 + vat for the photos in the catalogue was a shock to say the least.
    Ouch !!! ... For working as I do from time to time, in the sphere of photographing things for periodicals, publishing, and printing, coupled with being completely au fait with the aligned attached costing therein, I can tell you straight, that THAT pricing is indicative of GROSS profiteering.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.