Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shock at Holts auction charges

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post

Its not difficult to pack a box properly , and with a tracked service as PF is - I can say I never had any problems using Parcelforce with their low cover .
    I think that attitude is probably OK with, say, a £150 gun, but not with a £450 gun - unless you have very deep pockets.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

All sealed up

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think that attitude is probably OK with, say, a £150 gun, but not with a £450 gun - unless you have very deep pockets.
    Fraid I must disagree .
    Insurance for what we are talking about is a modern product sold to weak people .
    Sure its nice - but only only as a fallback in the worst scenario which to a collector is a worthless non starter .
    Who would want to allow any circumstance to reach that stage ?

I have been sent to me items worth much more than £450 ( by many times in fact ) in safely packed boxes - double boxed , strapped and banded (if available ) and taped . My experiences dealing with shops back when they could post direct learned me a few lessons
    I just pay extra to whomever - if Parcelforce will not allow added comp then I will go round the problem .and provide the added insurance myself .
    To date , after many purchases and trades with people - I am speaking from experience .

Fraid I must disagree .
    Insurance for what we are talking about is a modern product sold to weak people .
    Sure its nice - but only only as a fallback in the worst scenario which to a collector is a worthless non starter .
    Who would want to allow any circumstance to reach that stage ?

I have been sent to me items worth much more than £450 ( by many times in fact ) in safely packed boxes - double boxed , strapped and banded (if available ) and taped . My experiences dealing with shops back when they could post direct learned me a few lessons
    I just pay extra to whomever - if Parcelforce will not allow added comp then I will go round the problem .and provide the added insurance myself .
    To date , after many purchases and trades with people - I am speaking from experience .
    The strongest box, the very best duct tape money can buy , and enrobing guns in the finest eider duck down before packaging wont prevent theft and human error. Also it wont stop the parcel falling into the wrong hands once it is delivered. This is what insurance is for. I have lost count of the number of accounts on here, of damaged guns arriving through the post (or never arriving fullstop.

I have a Falke 90 in my collection (purchased on E-gun by the previous owner, where both the stock AND butt plate were damaged on the trip over from Germany - presumably because the parcel was thrown around, or got dropped in transit. That is what insurance is for. I certainly would never ship my guns without it. Also, as for "Allowing it", bear in mind, if you buy a gun from someone else, it is they who are responsible for the packaging - not you.

Lakey

Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    The strongest box, the very best duct tape money can buy , and enrobing guns in the finest eider duck down before packaging wont prevent theft and human error. Also it wont stop the parcel falling into the wrong hands once it is delivered. This is what insurance is for. I have lost count of the number of accounts on here, of damaged guns arriving through the post (or never arriving fullstop.

I have a Falke 90 in my collection (purchased on E-gun by the previous owner, where both the stock AND butt plate were damaged on the trip over from Germany - presumably because the parcel was thrown around, or got dropped in transit. That is what insurance is for. I certainly would never ship my guns without it. Also, as for "Allowing it", bear in mind, if you buy a gun from someone else, it is they who are responsible for the packaging - not you.

Lakey
    Falke from Germany .
    Butt Plate - internal reinforcement strips to the ends of the Box - and the Stock- well sub wrapped in high density foam pre packing into the box ? Or not ?
    Thats how I pack / stipulate how I want things delivered to me .

I have deliberately dropped some of my boxes to see where /how damage occurs . End on / corners / laid flat and stood on .
    I have learned from this .
    I have taught myself how to pack properly - sure there was a few minor mishaps but ....
    I pack with reinforced ends to the carton , after first wrapping the contents in wrapping
    Then after the above ( re-read that bit ) - I double box .

I make sure that anyone I deal with also knows how to pack likewise .
    When I want something delivered to me , something I really really want and there is no other option in delivery method or insurance , in answer to your
    query I TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY . I pay them extra or even provide the materials if there is any doubt in my mind .

Insurance provides nothing to a broken gun .
    It will never be right ...even if paid for - by the insurance .

And as for good old PF - the service is Tracked .
    Theft ?
    Stop shoe gazing

Falke from Germany .
    Butt Plate - internal reinforcement strips to the ends of the Box - and the Stock- well sub wrapped in high density foam pre packing into the box ? Or not ?
    Thats how I pack / stipulate how I want things delivered to me .

I have deliberately dropped some of my boxes to see where /how damage occurs . End on / corners / laid flat and stood on .
    I have learned from this .
    I have taught myself how to pack properly - sure there was a few minor mishaps but ....
    I pack with reinforced ends to the carton , after first wrapping the contents in wrapping
    Then after the above ( re-read that bit ) - I double box .

I make sure that anyone I deal with also knows how to pack likewise .
    When I want something delivered to me , something I really really want and there is no other option in delivery method or insurance , in answer to your
    query I TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY . I pay them extra or even provide the materials if there is any doubt in my mind .

Insurance provides nothing to a broken gun .
    It will never be right ...even if paid for - by the insurance .

And as for good old PF - the service is Tracked .
    Theft ?
    Stop shoe gazing
    I think life may be too short to get into a debate with you on the relative merits of insurance. Best you just do whatever you think is right.

From what you say, I'd be happy to buy from you.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Deal

Yes I agree lets just talk Airguns , and one day you may get to unpack one of my parcels ....sharp scissors and three cups of tea mandatory

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post

... but to pay £150 + vat for the photos in the catalogue was a shock to say the least.
    Ouch !!! ... For working as I do from time to time, in the sphere of photographing things for periodicals, publishing, and printing, coupled with being completely au fait with the aligned attached costing therein, I can tell you straight, that THAT pricing is indicative of GROSS profiteering.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.