Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope for a break barrel springer

Scope for a break barrel springer

I am looking for a scope for a break barrel springer with around 12x magnification and px adjustment. I have inherited a nice 20 year old 16x Tasco with a rifle I recently purchased and the glass is excellent but the reticle has no mil-dots (it does have 2 horizontal lines though) and I am now used to using mil-dots so would prefer to go down this line.
    I will be using it mainly on an indoor range.
    I have been looking on the "Optic Reviews" section and the Hawke Panorama EV 4-12x40 comes out well and I'm wondering if the AO version is as good and will it stand up to the recoil of a springer.
    I know that I need to look through the glass to see if it suits me but I want to narrow the search down so any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks,
    Gary.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 18-01-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Any advice please?

If it were me, I'd also have a look at the half mildot Nikko Panamax with AO.

That Tasco with a 2nd horizontal line sounds like a Model TR 4-16X40. Quite a desirable scope for fitting on a late 80s / early 90s rifle.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 18-01-2017 at 07:20 PM.

I'd consider trying the Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO which has the mildot recticle you want.

It's not much more than 70 quid and is probably fine.

If you want to pay more there'll be a Panorama version, but I think the Vantage range are pretty good.

I like the Panamax scopes but most of them seem to have 50mm objectives.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    If it were me, I'd also have a look at the half mildot Nikko Panamax with AO.

That Tasco with a 2nd horizontal line sounds like a Model TR 4-16X40. Quite a desirable scope for fitting on a late 80s / early 90s rifle.
    I have had to return my Nikko Mountmaster twice due to to it losing zero so I have lost confidence in the brand.

The Tasco is the TR 4-16x40 as you say which is a nice scope in clean condition (no lens covers) which came with the TX and I was considering putting it on my break barrel (124 Sport) but as I said earlier, after using mil-dots it going to take some getting used to for me.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 19-01-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I'd consider trying the Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO which has the mildot recticle you want.

It's not much more than 70 quid and is probably fine.

If you want to pay more there'll be a Panorama version, but I think the Vantage range are pretty good.

I like the Panamax scopes but most of them seem to have 50mm objectives.
    I was looking at the Vantage but I have heard they can have problems holding zero on springers.

I am going to keep an eye on used scopes on here and see what comes up.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I am looking for a scope for a break barrel springer with around 12x magnification and px adjustment.

I have been looking on the "Optic Reviews" section and the Hawke Panorama EV 4-12x40 comes out well and I'm wondering if the AO version is as good and will it stand up to the recoil of a springer.
    I know that I need to look through the glass to see if it suits me but I want to narrow the search down so any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks,
    Gary.
    I have one of these on a totally standard .177 HW99S and it's been perfect.

(Thank you, Craig-P).
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I have one of these on a totally standard .177 HW99S and it's been perfect.

(Thank you, Craig-P).
    Thanks Tony,
    I'll keep an eye out for one. Do you think it will make too much difference if I can only get the 50mm version?

I have no experience of the 50mm version as I generally am not a fan of huge objectives, preferring my sporters to retain sleek lines.

I'd have guessed that performance / durability etc will be the same, but if fitting the larger scope necessitates taller mounts, this could lead to comb / eye alignment issues (obviously dependant on your rifle / stock / comb configuration).

Generally a higher mounted scope will lead to more holdover required at shorter ranges (up to closest zero) but less at longer ranges (beyond primary zero) so much depends on intended use.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I have no experience of the 50mm version as I generally am not a fan of huge objectives, preferring my sporters to retain sleek lines.

I'd have guessed that performance / durability etc will be the same, but if fitting the larger scope necessitates taller mounts, this could lead to comb / eye alignment issues (obviously dependant on your rifle / stock / comb configuration).

Generally a higher mounted scope will lead to more holdover required at shorter ranges (up to closest zero) but less at longer ranges (beyond primary zero) so much depends on intended use.
    That makes sense, obviously if the objective lens is 10 mm larger, the scope is going to need to be 5mm higher on the gun.
    Thanks again,
    Gary.

Scope for break barrel

I have a hawk panorama on my hw80 its still ok after two years so evidently shock proof!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    On springers for me the Bushnell Legend 5-15x40AO has no equal and I use five. Used to swear by Simmons Pro Airs but I only have two now.
    I have other various makes on other springers and rammers and I'm currently "trailing" an NS Panamax 3-9x40AO on a HW 95 which to date is holding up well having been to two Spring Bashes and using the gun on the range for almost a year !
    Should add, I'm impressed with the Vortex Diamondback having seen Les's (Les Allam) scope at the last Bash as a future replacement to the Legends !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    I have a hawk panorama on my hw80 its still ok after two years so evidently shock proof!!
    Thanks for the info'.
    I can consider them shock proof if they can hold up to a HW80.
    I was looking for a used one but when found they're about £100. Considering the warranty isn't transferable, I think I need to source a well priced new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    On springers for me the Bushnell Legend 5-15x40AO has no equal and I use five. Used to swear by Simmons Pro Airs but I only have two now.
    I have other various makes on other springers and rammers and I'm currently "trailing" an NS Panamax 3-9x40AO on a HW 95 which to date is holding up well having been to two Spring Bashes and using the gun on the range for almost a year !
    Should add, I'm impressed with the Vortex Diamondback having seen Les's (Les Allam) scope at the last Bash as a future replacement to the Legends !
    I have researched these Bushnells too but they're like rocking horse poo to get hold of.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I have researched these Bushnells too but they're like rocking horse poo to get hold of.
    They do crop up from time to time on the BBS and other Forums.
    Try a Wanted ad ?
    “An airgun or two”………