Thread: AA400 (then and now)

AA400 (then and now)

Away back in the naughties I considered getting an AA400 (carbine). Back then the safety catches regularly fell out but they were all pre anti-tamper (how handy was that), they seemed to be reasonably well screwed together and they were very popular.

I'm considering one again.

How does todays AA400 compare with a mid 2000's version? Have the internals changed for the better/worse? Are any of the components cheaper or less robust (i.e. thinner barrels, bits made of plastic etc.)? What have they changed or are they pretty much unchanged?

Any information welcome from you AA400 series experts/owners.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Just lots of tweaks here and there as well as being 50% more expensive!!
    Master Debater

I have a 2006 400k and apart from AT I don't think there is much difference from today's 400,s.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I have a 2006 400k and apart from AT I don't think there is much difference from today's 400,s.
    Agreed, just the AT which is easily sorted if need be, safeties still fall out as well, my 2010 lost its last week, no great loss, must be the world's worst thought out safety and it wont be replaced.

I think that our friends are being a little unkind to the poor rifle. I think that it is fab. In walnut it is a stunning classic gun, none of this new dagle fangled stuff. It is still accurate beyond its asking price and can be easily converted into a regulated gun suitable for a lot of shooting disciplines. Just keep the metal work well oiled and don't bash the barrel, it is still a Twiggy.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I think that our friends are being a little unkind to the poor rifle. I think that it is fab. In walnut it is a stunning classic gun, none of this new dagle fangled stuff. It is still accurate beyond its asking price and can be easily converted into a regulated gun suitable for a lot of shooting disciplines. Just keep the metal work well oiled and don't bash the barrel, it is still a Twiggy.

A.G
    Don't think we are being unkind just telling it as it is and it's all minor stuff, if all rifles had as few "faults" as the 400 the airgun world would be a better place The fact we still own one shows we still think they're a good gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Don't think we are being unkind just telling it as it is and it's all minor stuff, if all rifles had as few "faults" as the 400 the airgun world would be a better place The fact we still own one shows we still think they're a good gun.
    I agree, I have two of them. One of each caliber.

See the note in my sig. All of them with a 2002 model S410 carbine with the original 2-sear trigger.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Thank you gents.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 23-12-2023 at 12:47 AM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.