Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope for a break barrel springer

I wonder how much of this 'scopes on springers not holding zero' is down to the person shooting (or rifle) not being consistent, and nothing to do with the scope? Should I start a poll on that one?
    Last edited by bootneckbob; 22-01-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Rooti's point (below)
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Also depends on the firing cycle of the springer, Rob.

Some of them go off like a small car accident.

True, but this isn't the scope not holding zero is it. Discuss!
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Chicken or egg Rob. What came first, the bad springer or the broke scope?

I'm still looking. I went to see one yesterday which was advertised as mounts included but they weren't which was a blessing really because the tube was crimped.
    I have also looked through other Hawke scopes and like the glass so if the cheaper models are shockproof they could well be an option and I will be able to afford to buy a new one.
    Does anyone know if the whole range of Hawke scopes are suitable for springers?
    Thanks again.
    Gary.

Ive got a Hawke Frontier 3-9x40 on my 95,very decent scope. In fact I've just managed to buy another, very clear Jap lenses in these. Only downside is they are from the 90,s I believe and don't see many around. I've also just acquired a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35, not mounted it yet, but my god it looks very promising, looks a little beauty.
    Edit Sorry scrap my advice, just seen you want 12x mag

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Ive got a Hawke Frontier 3-9x40 on my 95,very decent scope. In fact I've just managed to buy another, very clear Jap lenses in these. Only downside is they are from the 90,s I believe and don't see many around. I've also just acquired a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35, not mounted it yet, but my god it looks very promising, looks a little beauty.
    Edit Sorry scrap my advice, just seen you want 12x mag
    Thanks for your help again.

I would prefer something that will go to 12x mag as I will be mainly using it on the local 55yd indoor range (ok, I know 55yds is ambitious but I will be taking the odd pot shot at that range). I'm currently having a little success at 45yds, hitting on average 2-3 out of 5 15mm knockdowns (or are they 20mm?).

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I have researched these Bushnells too but they're like rocking horse poo to get hold of.
    One in Sales NOW, Good luck !
    “An airgun or two”………

I think most Hawkes are targeting airguns for sales, certainly the AO or Sf models than can roll down to 10m.

Ive been using a coupe of Vantage models on springers recently, both SF models, the 44mm version I think is better than the 50mm in this price bracket, as in some low light situations it did seem better glass, but with an IR mildot ret the 50 might be handy for an indoor range. The more you pay the better glass you will get generally, todays options for tuning springers to shoot well and accurate should not be damaging scopes, unless the scope is a parcel of rubbish in the first place.

Ive just swapped off a Vantage and put back in the box for a later day, and upgraded to a Delta Titanium, which are the same as the Bushnell Elites and made in the same Jap factory.

Id advise to go and see some of your fellow shooters at the range and look through theirs to see what suits you.
    Nice things happen to nice people.

A better sight picture isn't going to help much to hit very small targets with a spring rifle unless its a very good, dare I say it tuned, springer.
    Of the 60 odd springers I've owned only about 1/4, if that, are smooth and accurate enough with the right pellet, to be up to the kind of performance to rely on hitting such small targets at longer ranges. Under 35m then 3/4 could, but beyond that then far too much is going on so its ends up as much to do with luck as deliberate.

Getting a perfect sight picture at farmyard ranges 25m doesn't require much magnification. Drop and holdover/under pretty straight forward too. Once beyond 30m then its all technical and if the truth be known most springers have far too much going on to match the technical side required. 12ft/lbs adds to the grief as one: the time the pellet takes to get out of that barrel; and two: all the effects on the pellet from conditions on the day. Add it up it makes a sorry story.

The better springer shots are using very smooth rifles with loads of practice and pcp experience data to aid them. The very best would admit they are making harder work of it all by using a springer from something that is hard enough already. Beyond 30m and way out to 55 requires all the elements to be up to it. Its why so many people who come to springers from PCP's are so disheartened. It can be done but adjust your expectations.

Lastly, most springers are "live" and not happy confined in a bench rest set up. Most don't take to a vice at all well. Heavy, tuned, behave the best. Even the most difficult will behave fine shot standing unsupported.
    Last edited by Muskett; 26-01-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    4.5-14x40 Sorry my mistake !

Nice scope though !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Clanchief View Post
    I think most Hawkes are targeting airguns for sales, certainly the AO or Sf models than can roll down to 10m.

Ive been using a coupe of Vantage models on springers recently, both SF models, the 44mm version I think is better than the 50mm in this price bracket, as in some low light situations it did seem better glass, but with an IR mildot ret the 50 might be handy for an indoor range. The more you pay the better glass you will get generally, todays options for tuning springers to shoot well and accurate should not be damaging scopes, unless the scope is a parcel of rubbish in the first place.

Ive just swapped off a Vantage and put back in the box for a later day, and upgraded to a Delta Titanium, which are the same as the Bushnell Elites and made in the same Jap factory.

Id advise to go and see some of your fellow shooters at the range and look through theirs to see what suits you
    I have done this and have 95% decided to go for a Hawke.

I have decided to put the Tasco on my break barrel and the Hawke will go on the TX200hc.
    I think that I'm going to go down the "New" route which will give me a lifetime warranty which isn't transferable if the scope's sold on.
    So a Panorama it will be.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 26-01-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    A better sight picture isn't going to help much to hit very small targets with a spring rifle unless its a very good, dare I say it tuned, springer.
    Of the 60 odd springers I've owned only about 1/4, if that, are smooth and accurate enough with the right pellet, to be up to the kind of performance to rely on hitting such small targets at longer ranges. Under 35m then 3/4 could, but beyond that then far too much is as much to do with luck as deliberate.

Getting a perfect sight picture at farmyard ranges 25m doesn't require much magnification. Drop and holdover/under pretty straight forward too. Once beyond 30m then its all technical and if the truth be known most springers have far too much going on to match the technical side required. 12ft/lbs adds to the grief as one: the time the pellet takes to get out of that barrel; and two: all the effects on the pellet from conditions on the day. Add it up it makes a sorry story.

The better springer shots are using very smooth rifles with loads of practice and pcp experience data to aid them. The very best would admit they are making harder work of it all by using a springer from something that is hard enough already. Beyond 30m and way out to 55 requires all the elements to be up to it. Its why so many people who come to springers from PCP's are so disheartened. It can be done but adjust your expectations.

Lastly, most springers are "live" and not happy confined in a bench rest set up. Most don't take to a vice at all well. Heavy, tuned, behave the best. Even the most difficult will behave fine shot standing unsupported.
    It will now be going on a TX200hc which is being short stroked and having one of Tinbum's Pro Kits fitted this weekend.
    Thanks Muskett, your advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I have seen it and very nice it is too but it's out of my budget.
    Thanks for the heads-up.