Thread: An idea for most Rapid owners

An idea for most Rapid owners

A thought for you. Let me say straight away that this really only applies to MFR, Rapid 2 and late Rapid 1 owners for reasons that will be obvious as you read on.
    What is the most important feature that a standard production Rapid lacks? Maybe there are several answers to this but to me it is simply the inability to see at a glance that your air supply is OK before you take your rifle out or whether it has sprung a leak in your cabinet? I miss not having a pressure gauge and yet it is quite easy to fit one. If you look underneath the block of your rifle you will see a circular blanking plate that can be removed and replaced with a small pressure gauge available from suppliers -Best Fittings would be my chosen one but 'other suppliers are available'. It can also be used to fit a QF nozzle but that isn't any good if the rifle has a regulator. If you want a QF nozzle and regulator there are several combined units available.. The problem with this option is that it is expensive.
    The only drawback to fitting the gauge-or combined unit for that matter- is that you will need to cut a hole in the stock to accommodate the gauge as it protrudes from the base of the block. Provided you use a decent quality hole cutter this isn't a problem. My tip when fitting the gauge is to drill a small pilot hole from the INSIDE of the stock in the middle of the recess in the base of the stock where the original blanking plate sat and then to cut the main hole starting from the OUTSIDE of the stock which should be securely fastened in a Workmate or soft jawed vice to avoid damaging the stock. You will need a 25mm cutter to do this. Other than that no other modification is required. My own legal limit Rapid has the easy fitting 'MFR' type regulator and the gauge as described and it works well. Using this regulator system I really don't need QF and means I can take several buddy bottles out shooting if required. I can see at a glance when the bottle needs to be changed. Just be aware that on a regulated rifle a gauge in this position measures the pressure in the block itself-in other words the working pressure NOT the pressure remaining in the bottle itself. Assuming you have your regulator set to 100BAR working pressure you know you have to refill if the pressure falls below this level. Personally I check the working pressure every time I change magazines which pretty well avoids the need to count shots.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    That sounds good Nick. Just to jog my dodgy memory, was the working pressure on my Rapid17 set to 100bar?

I don't need or want QF but a gauge would definitely be handy...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Or just fill your bottle before you go out like I do.
    Master Debater

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Stop simplifying things!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

And, make sure the small pilot hole you drill is the same size, if not, smaller than the centering bit on your hole cutter or you will be in a world of poo
    when your hole cutter spins off your lovely stock. !!
    Never rub another mans rhubarb.

So do I but it helps to check when the rifle hasn't been used for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by robsmyth View Post
    And, make sure the small pilot hole you drill is the same size, if not, smaller than the centering bit on your hole cutter or you will be in a world of poo
    when your hole cutter spins off your lovely stock. !!
    Good idea Rob-I didn't think of that.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    So do I but it helps to check when the rifle hasn't been used for a while.
    Ill be honest have you ever owned a factory rapid that has held all it's air??

I know I haven't.
    Master Debater

I know I haven't.

I certainly have. It is rare but not unknown to spring a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    That sounds good Nick. Just to jog my dodgy memory, was the working pressure on my Rapid17 set to 100bar?

I don't need or want QF but a gauge would definitely be handy...
    Yes Paul it was.

I know I haven't.
    Yep got a few here
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

We set my regulated Rapid up with a QF and gauge from RAW didnt we? Stock cutting was no issue but I used a slightly smaller hole cutter, then finished it off centralising the hole with a round file.

Works well, not been an issue since fitting,
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    We set my regulated Rapid up with a QF and gauge from RAW didnt we? Stock cutting was no issue but I used a slightly smaller hole cutter, then finished it off centralising the hole with a round file.

Works well, not been an issue since fitting,
    We certainly did Geoff. The 'Rolls Royce' option!

Hi Rapidnick, I have 2 x Rapid Mark 2's. A 12ftlb and an FAC one at around 28ft lbs.

Just had them both serviced last year. Im starting to use them more, perhaps once a fortnight for a plink with the 12ft lb one, it does over 400 shots on one fill, if i go to the range. If I fire say 10 mags or 120 shots theres still loads left. For the FAC if I use it for hunting i always blow up the bottle first. When im finished whether i shoot or, not i will cycle two or, three mags through it, so that it doesnt get stored at full charge. For my use i would have no real need to fit a guage and wouldnt want to drill the stock and alter the mechanics to fit one. Is there another reason, maybe competition shooting that i dont do, that makes your idea worth while doing?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    Hi Rapidnick, I have 2 x Rapid Mark 2's. A 12ftlb and an FAC one at around 28ft lbs.

Just had them both serviced last year. Im starting to use them more, perhaps once a fortnight for a plink with the 12ft lb one, it does over 400 shots on one fill, if i go to the range. If I fire say 10 mags or 120 shots theres still loads left. For the FAC if I use it for hunting i always blow up the bottle first. When im finished whether i shoot or, not i will cycle two or, three mags through it, so that it doesnt get stored at full charge. For my use i would have no real need to fit a guage and wouldnt want to drill the stock and alter the mechanics to fit one. Is there another reason, maybe competition shooting that i dont do, that makes your idea worth while doing?

Cheers
    Not really. You clearly don't miss not having an indicator of air level and your point about not wanting to drill the stock is totally valid. Personally it doesn't bother me but I know quite a few shooters who won't even fit sling swivel studs on their precious stocks.