Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth twist barrel on a Springer ?

Smooth twist barrel on a Springer ?

Anyone used a smooth twist barrel on a Springer just curious

I was always lead to believe that these were more of a fac pcp thing. Would love to see the performance of a fac daystate airwolf

I've read recent posts about FX's problems re Impact and Wildcat. That doesn't mean they have issues with everything... but is there some debate about how effective smooth twist might be over rifling?

With so much else that goes on with a springer I don't see if any advantage or not could be measured. Would bring its own problems to the mix too, as in piston cushioning...

The smooth twist has no real advantage over any othe barrel.
    It isnt a new concept....smooth bore with a small run of rifling were in use before smooth twist. Smooth twist is a bit like a poly barrel but the twist is essentially the exterior presumably pressed against a mandrel or something like that in
    The conc3nsus seems to be that polys and smooth twist work better in FAC power levels than sub 12
    To be frank I think the spin made by Mr Taylor was just that. Spin. It hasnt changed the face of shooting.
    I am not sure if the issues with the Impact revolve around the barrel. Probably more likely the reliability of a complexity of the barrels and pins etc.
    I see no real advantage in using a st barrel in a springer. Cant see a disadvantage other then perhaps cost and getti g everything set up right first time either. I wouldnt bother personally
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

More likely the cost of making a barrel!

Many thanks for all your input

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    With so much else that goes on with a springer I don't see if any advantage or not could be measured. Would bring its own problems to the mix too, as in piston cushioning...
    If it turned out to be accurate on a springer,the main advantage of a smooth twist barrel,would be less friction. You could reduce the power to a point that there would virtually be any recoil

Wasn't the hw100 barrel poly rifled or something (not a springer I know) and didn't it turn out horribly poor accuracy wise at Fac levels, to the point where people changed the barrels.

HW100 uses a conventional barrel exactly the same as the springers.

Part of the reason they don't make good FAC rifles is the firing chamber is machined into the action block and the volume is not suited to higher outputs.

How would that effect accuracy? I could live with the lower shot count but did a bit of research and lots of people said that accuracy was wild until they had different barrels put on? This is in .22 by the way. Google hw100 Fac accuracy, it doesn't make good reading.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_h View Post
    How would that effect accuracy? I could live with the lower shot count but did a bit of research and lots of people said that accuracy was wild until they had different barrels put on? This is in .22 by the way. Google hw100 Fac accuracy, it doesn't make good reading.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFou_4VqLBY

This gives a good idea what's going on.

I think the video is referring to .177. The .22 at 30ft/lb (it's standard Fac setting) should be fine but they had barrel issues according to some on the hw owners forum. Which put me off a bit. Would be intrigued to see a springer with above mentioned barrel though!

Quote Originally Posted by springboy View Post
    If it turned out to be accurate on a springer,the main advantage of a smooth twist barrel,would be less friction. You could reduce the power to a point that there would virtually be any recoil
    That wont happen. Most feedback is suggesting that ST's work better at above UK FAC levels and if recoil is an issue...just go PCP and keep the Dinos for fun
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

After shooting several sub 12 guns with ST, personally I still think that the main 'problem' is 'pellet slap' (as in 'piston slap' in engines) as the pellet travels down the smooth bore part of the barrel, causing slight damage to the pellet head - the best results I've got were from the largest 'size' of pellet I can easily get, must admit that I've only shot .177, and using JSB 4.53, which gives similar results as using the LW barrels. I'd like to know if there's anybody who has a .22 version has tried using 5.6 pellets or a large (5.54+) through theirs, and are able to compare results with a L/W barrel on a similar gun?