Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme pellet drop during zeroing of scope?

Extreme pellet drop during zeroing of scope?

So I went to zero my scope down the farm today. Using SMK TH78D (.22) with 2 x fresh 12g C02 bulbs firing Umarex pellets and a Excelvan 4-9 x 40 scope. I wasn't expecting too much in terms of accuracy but used a gun rest to at least eliminate shooter wobble.

Shot groups of 5 over a measured 25 metres and generally managed a 3-4 inch grouping. However, every so often a pellet would drop alarmingly - sometimes 6 or 7 inches below the expected POI. I though at first it might be the CO2 getting cold but then the next pellets would be back 'on target'. Wondering if it could be the quality control of the pellets? Any thoughts?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Not wanting to sound pedantic but do you mean a 3/4" group at 25 yards?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Sounds like a quality control issue where the skirt of the pellet has been damaged . What pellets are you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Not wanting to sound pedantic but do you mean a 3/4" group at 25 yards?.

Kindest regards

Barrel

I wish I did mean that! No - the group was 3-4 inches across. No wind and the rifle was clamped into a workmate.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
    Sounds like a quality control issue where the skirt of the pellet has been damaged . What pellets are you using ?
    Umarex - fresh tin from JS Ramsbottom.

Try some AA field/RWS Superdomes, sounds as though the barrel doesn't 'like' Umarex pellets - must admit that none of my rifles like them - including the PCPs & springers. Also don't forget that with cold weather, the chill-down of the gun will lower the power on Co2 (magnified if you're shooting quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Try some AA field/RWS Superdomes, sounds as though the barrel doesn't 'like' Umarex pellets - must admit that none of my rifles like them - including the PCPs & springers. Also don't forget that with cold weather, the chill-down of the gun will lower the power on Co2 (magnified if you're shooting quickly)
    I'll try that. I've only got this rifle for some plinking but it would be good to get it shooting reasonably consistently. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by smudgie49 View Post
    Umarex - fresh tin from JS Ramsbottom.
    As someone said above i would try the AA fields , H&N Field Target, Webley Accupell and my one gun likes Napier Power hunter pellets, all are good . I thought you meant 3/4" not 3 to 4 inch group , it definitly sounds like the pellets its just a case of finding the right one which doesnt seem to be Umarex.

Who-marex? 😂 as suggested try something a little more ummm 'quality' shall we say, Superdomes/Superfields, AA Diabolo fields etc etc, I find 'Domes' are generally a good place to start...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Who-marex? �� as suggested try something a little more ummm 'quality' shall we say, Superdomes/Superfields, AA Diabolo fields etc etc, I find 'Domes' are generally a good place to start...
    I'll get some 'test tins' off and have another go!

I've worked out the reason for the extreme pellet drop!! I just had a close look at the Umarex pellets in the tin. Imagine my surprise when I could clearly see a handful of pellets that were longer, with a double thickness, fluted skirt. I haven't got scales that are sensitive enough to weigh them but it is patently obvious that I have some longer, heavier pellets amongst the Umarex pellets. Embarrassingly this is my fault too! When I bought the rifle it came with a small bag of pellets and I'd forgotten that I'd added them into the the Umarex tin. DOHH!!

Well that explains the odd one that dropped but sounds like the Umarex are still prety c--p cant say i have ever tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
    Well that explains the odd one that dropped but sounds like the Umarex are still prety c--p cant say i have ever tried them.
    Agreed. When you take a close look there a bumps and lumps and grooves all over them. You get what you pay for!!

Quote Originally Posted by smudgie49 View Post
    I'll get some 'test tins' off and have another go!
    Although they might seem expensive, a test pack of 20 odd of several brands is your best bet to find the pellet that's most accurate, You'll be amazed how the grouping changes between the different pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Although they might seem expensive, a test pack of 20 odd of several brands is your best bet to find the pellet that's most accurate, You'll be amazed how the grouping changes between the different pellets.
    I wouldn't - I've some A4 paper targets here from pellet testing, 5 shot 'groups' all shot at 25 yards - some are a case of 4 pellets on a sheet, others are the size of a 5p piece or less, same gun, different pellets