Thread: Should I buy a Springer or PCP ? New video in the Airgunning for Beginners Series

Should I buy a Springer or PCP ? New video in the Airgunning for Beginners Series

This week I "try" to tackle the very emotive subject on whether a new comer should buy a springer or a PCP as their 1st rifle.

I have tried to keep it fair and cover the points for a new comer to the sport. Hopefully I have managed that, but only the comments will tell

Here is the link and I hope it helps new comers to our sport by answering some simple questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Hc8_Pq8jM
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

Nice vid buddy, simple (ish) and to the point, personally I always suggest a springer to start with as a mid-top end springer costs about the same as a bottom end PCP and then there's the extra outlay for all the charging gear on top of the cost of the PCP, anyway that's just my opinion...

Just one wee nit-pick though buddy and possibly some may think it's quite petty but I think it's quite a valid one, I'm personally not that keen on the use of the word 'weapon' where sporting guns are concerned, gives the wrong impression to them that know no better if you know what I mean, other than that keep up the good work...

Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't even notice I said weapon Wouldn't normally call them that,
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

Slip 'o' the tongue as they say... 👍

Its very good of you to consider this issue. I have not watched your video to the end yet so I am not sure what your overall conclusion is but my own take on the question is that it can be very complicated...
    1. What do you want a rifle for?
    2. What budget?
    3. I hate to use the word 'serious' but how likely are you to want to continue airgunning once the novelty of ownership and shooting has worn off?

To answer these, and maybe other questions as we go:
    What is it wanted for? This maybe just for plinking in a garden, pest control, or initial competition use e.g. HFT. FT. I am not really considering 10m or Bell Target here. If just plinking is the game then it has to be realised that buying a new pcp with associated charging gear is an expensive option for most people ... you will not get much change out of £700 for the basic kit and could spend much more. You will also need access to a charging facility unless you opt for a pump. Against that, consider that there are quite acceptable springer packages available that include a scope for around £200 and spending a bit more could well get better quality. Spend £400 or so and you could well be OK for some competition use, HFT in particular and even FT if you just want real fun.
    Budget is always a consideration and some issues are as above. Spend more and you get better quality up to a certain level. I would suggest ball park figures of £700 - £800 for a pcp (charging gear included) and £350 - 450 for a good quality springer (beech stock not the more expensive walnut). I think you could compete quite happily at HFT with the sort of kit available at these price points. Spend more, say up to £1000 for pcp or £500 for a springer and you get more luxury but not really better accuracy. I am not considering spending the hundred or so extra that people spend on getting a tuned springer as I would never suggest that option to a beginner unless it was a s/h bargain. (OK, shout me down on that).
    Scopes are an issue to consider. Many people seem to suggest that you have to spend a certain percentage of the gun cost on a scope ... did I hear 50%? Sorry, but I think that is rubbish (shout me down again). You do not have to spend 100s of ££ to get a decent scope for plinking or HFT or even FT (if you accept what you are up against ....). Decent scopes are available for between £70 - £100 and are quite capable of holding their own at HFT or hunting (pest control).
    How serious are you? Again I hate the word serious but if you really expect to give up after a few months, consider the financial hit you might take. Spend more ... lose more.
    Hitting what you aim at? Maybe a deciding factor for a beginner leads to a pcp recommendation as for a novice they are easier to control. But many say that learning to control a springer is excellent training that will benefit you in future even if you get a pcp later on. Maybe also a greater sense of satisfation with a springer.
    Maintaining the rifle may be a consideration and as a generalisation I suggest that a pcp is a more daunting prospect than a springer. So if our person would like to tinker / tune their new toy, a springer is the way to go.

So what's the answer? I guess its 50:50 but if I were advising a novice I would opt on a springer as they are self contained and quite capable in all areas. But if the novice is dead set on the pcp life then so be it. Aim at a reasonable price point and generally accuracy potential will take care of itself but still leave the shooter to add the final bit in the field.
    Siumilarly, I have not considered s/h ... but the arguments are the same, just reduce the costs by 30 - 50%

Cheers, Phil
    sorry for waffling on ...

Thanks for the suggestions / comments. Much appreciated