Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dive bottle testing in hampshire

Dive bottle testing in hampshire

Does any member know of a reliable place where I can get a 5yr test on my dive bottle?....read some bad stories about some outfits around the uk failing bottles only to sell a new one to the customer while selling their perfectly fine bottle on the 2nd hand market ...
    I'm not saying it happens all the time but this being the first time I have had to do this 'testing' thingy I thought it best to see if anybody on here can throw a few names into the hat....found one in fareham so far.

Alternative would be a new 12l bottle....which leaves me with a 7l immaculate bottle needing it's first test to sell on and no idea of it's worth considering it needs a test etc.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    Does any member know of a reliable place where I can get a 5yr test on my dive bottle?....read some bad stories about some outfits around the uk failing bottles only to sell a new one to the customer while selling their perfectly fine bottle on the 2nd hand market ...
    I'm not saying it happens all the time but this being the first time I have had to do this 'testing' thingy I thought it best to see if anybody on here can throw a few names into the hat....found one in fareham so far.

Alternative would be a new 12l bottle....which leaves me with a 7l immaculate bottle needing it's first test to sell on and no idea of it's worth considering it needs a test etc.

I use these and not a million miles away from you http://www.dorsetdiving.co.uk/service.html

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How

By all means get a 12L if that's what you want but get the 7L tested by a reputable supplier as you won't get much for it 'out of test', you'll get your test costs back plus more if it has 5 years on it
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    I use these and not a million miles away from you http://www.dorsetdiving.co.uk/service.html
    hey Mitch ,
    I've been to those fellas too , got my testing and a few fills there ....oh and a new valve knob off the shelf when i over tightened mine and rounded the square hole ......good guys ......helpful, and dry sarcasm ......I like that

I read about another outfit in a unit in a garden centre at merley ......do you know these ?

Tal Arms in Christchurch send mine off to Safety Air Services Portsmouth 023 9281 4924.
    Costs me £46 and never had a problem.

Been there for a full once as I was passing, was ok. But Dorset dive are always straight. I've had one bottle bounced in 10 years which was sold to me second hand and disguised to look good. They told me exactly why it would fail. But several other bottles have been fine through test there and unless you've got something you can see on the exterior it's highly unlikely you'll fail a first 5 year test. From memory it's around £50 for one. I had one done there last year.

Worth noting 5 year test is only for bottles fitted with a surface only valve - usually one with an integral gauge. Bottles that use an a-clamp or din fitting test is 2.5 yrs with alternating hydrostatic and visual testing .

Frog

Never heard of it, more likely it's an urban legend,
    but simply ask for the old cyl back, it's your property so they cannot refuse but the cyl must be made un useable usually by having the neck cut.

Ask the place that you get it filled they will either test it them selves or will know who will.

Solent divers/ safety air services Portsmouth.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    hey Mitch ,
    I've been to those fellas too , got my testing and a few fills there ....oh and a new valve knob off the shelf when i over tightened mine and rounded the square hole ......good guys ......helpful, and dry sarcasm ......I like that

I read about another outfit in a unit in a garden centre at merley ......do you know these ?
    Hi mate , They use to be one in Merley but moved down to Poole Quay now . I have used them in the past but never gave me a proper fill in my 300 bar 12L bottle , came out with 280 bar

There is also southern cylinder services in Fareham they test on the premises and will fill a 300bar while you wait for a fiver

http://www.southerncylinders.co.uk/

Thanks fellas,will go with one in fareham.
    Came across a list of those who can test bottle,thought it might be handy for others..

http://www.sita.org.uk/idest/idest_members.php
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    Hi mate , They use to be one in Merley but moved down to Poole Quay now . I have used them in the past but never gave me a proper fill in my 300 bar 12L bottle , came out with 280 bar
    Lot's of dive shops have compressors that cannot do a full 300bar fill, because divers generally only use 230bar cylinders, the old one I used would fill a 300bar cyl until the pressure release valve blew at 270ish.
    equally if it's "while you wait" it might be a heat issue from not using a water bath.

Solent divers in Portsmouth is who i use.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Lot's of dive shops have compressors that cannot do a full 300bar fill, because divers generally only use 230bar cylinders, the old one I used would fill a 300bar cyl until the pressure release valve blew at 270ish.
    equally if it's "while you wait" it might be a heat issue from not using a water bath.
    No, plenty of divers use 300 bar. It's just some shops don't like starting their compressor so will feed off the tank instead. Plus they also don't keep the bottles cool so they fill to 300 hot which drops when your bottle cools.