Thread: Keeper pistols - what are they and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oling View Post
    Curious, why do you prefer the HW40 over the HW75?
    A number of reasons there:

1 - Slightly less faff to cock and load and so more time shooting

2 - I prefer the fibre optic sights in low light conditions, say up in my loft range where I mostly use it, and they suit MY eyesight. I know that they are not everyone's cup of tea

However, in saying that, they are both good pistols and both worth keeping. I feel the HW75 is rather well built and has more heft to it than the HW40, but it is also noticeable that the HW75 stands quite high in the hand when on aim.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    A number of reasons there:

1 - Slightly less faff to cock and load and so more time shooting

2 - I prefer the fibre optic sights in low light conditions, say up in my loft range where I mostly use it, and they suit MY eyesight. I know that they are not everyone's cup of tea

However, in saying that, they are both good pistols and both worth keeping. I feel the HW75 is rather well built and has more heft to it than the HW40, but it is also noticeable that the HW75 stands quite high in the hand when on aim.
    Ah interesting... Which would you say you group better with in good light or is there not much to separate them?

Quote Originally Posted by oling View Post
    Ah interesting... Which would you say you group better with in good light or is there not much to separate them?
    Ah, good question

I haven't really noticed any difference in groups, but I would think it would be easier to shoot better groups with the HW75 in good light, however I would prefer the front sight to be slightly wider and same for the rear. (Too accustomed to Steyr LP10 target sights )

Most of my plinking targets are all different shapes and colours, and target acquisition for me, is better with the HW40 sights in low light as the fibre optics really stand out and clearly define the sights vs targets.

I think a lot really will depend on the lighting condition, targets and background colours, and whether or not you get on with fibre optic coloured sights vs standard square front post and standard rear sight.

I forgot to mention in an earlier post that I've also got a Daisy 717 and the sights on this gun are more suitable for target shooting than those on the HW75 - the front post is wider and the rear sight has a wider notch. However, the trigger is not as nice as either of the HW's, and so it does not get as much use. It us slightly less powerful than the other two, but also quieter
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Thumbs up

Hi

I don't have a single keeper but rather a few (I'll just show two that will be with me until the lid is nailed on my box!! )

This Webley Senior is the pistol that i've owned the longest and was £39 from a local second hand shop!!

Another is the shiny one of these two Premiers, It's another that i've had for a long time, It was £8 as it wouldn't cock!!

I've been lucky enough to have more than my fair share of freebies, As they were gifts, I couldn't get rid of them either!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/