Thread: FWB300 Breech seal fit

FWB300 Breech seal fit

I originally posted this on the collectables thread, but I am kindly advised that the knowledge is more likely to be found here

I've recently acquired an FWB 300 (what an absolutely beautiful thing, what a shame they don't make airguns like that any more) which has been fitted with a new breech seal. The problem is that it is a very tight fit against the loading cone, which means it is very hard to close the sidelever (far more force needed than I like to use) Could someone who knows this model please tell me if this always happens with a new seal, and it will bed in eventually, or should I be investigating why it is happening as a one off on this one?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

Seal

Hi I hav re sealed several of these and no, excess force is not needed to close the cocking lever. Just a gentle press. They are of course a bit more stiff when new but not difficult to close. I suggest yo remove the seal and see if there is anything behind it.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

I don't know if my 300s is typical but after cocking the gun, the cocking lever closes without resistance to within about 2cm of the action and then a reasonably firm push is needed to close it fully until it clicks and engages. The breech seal on mine also stands ever so slightly proud from the metal (maybe 1-2mm).

Thank you both for the above, I definitely need to investigate further. After a few probes with a careful fingernail and a very smoothly rounded hardwood stick, I think I will be able to get it out without damaging it (and it isn't a hugely expensive error if I do, I believe seals are still readily available). Another look over the weekend is called for!

Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Thank you both for the above, I definitely need to investigate further. After a few probes with a careful fingernail and a very smoothly rounded hardwood stick, I think I will be able to get it out without damaging it (and it isn't a hugely expensive error if I do, I believe seals are still readily available). Another look over the weekend is called for!
    You say the gun was recently fitted with a new seal so of course they are available!
    But yes they are.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Just to finish this off.....
    The advice above was pretty clear that something was wrong, so I ordered a new seal, which meant that taking the old one out was not quite as fraught as it would have been without a spare. The new seal was 0.4mm shorter than the old one, so I cleaned the recess carefully and just fitted the new seal, also carefully. Problem solved, the cocking lever now closes very nicely with just a gentle push to snap it shut. Amazing how much difference 0.4mm can make!
    Thanks to all who contributed advice.

Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Just to finish this off.....
    The advice above was pretty clear that something was wrong, so I ordered a new seal, which meant that taking the old one out was not quite as fraught as it would have been without a spare. The new seal was 0.4mm shorter than the old one, so I cleaned the recess carefully and just fitted the new seal, also carefully. Problem solved, the cocking lever now closes very nicely with just a gentle push to snap it shut. Amazing how much difference 0.4mm can make!
    Thanks to all who contributed advice.
    So nice that you got it fixed. Also a big up for letting us all know. So many don't!.
    A little tip. When ever you put the gun away just unlatch the cocking lever, this takes the pressure off the seal. Dont know if it does do any good but it cant hurt. Enjoy a lovely gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    A little tip. When ever you put the gun away just unlatch the cocking lever, this takes the pressure off the seal. Dont know if it does do any good but it cant hurt. Enjoy a lovely gun.
    Thanks for that, as you say, it can't do any harm. And boy, am I already enjoying the gun!