Thread: FWB300 Breech seal fit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FWB300 Breech seal fit

I originally posted this on the collectables thread, but I am kindly advised that the knowledge is more likely to be found here

I've recently acquired an FWB 300 (what an absolutely beautiful thing, what a shame they don't make airguns like that any more) which has been fitted with a new breech seal. The problem is that it is a very tight fit against the loading cone, which means it is very hard to close the sidelever (far more force needed than I like to use) Could someone who knows this model please tell me if this always happens with a new seal, and it will bed in eventually, or should I be investigating why it is happening as a one off on this one?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

Seal

Hi I hav re sealed several of these and no, excess force is not needed to close the cocking lever. Just a gentle press. They are of course a bit more stiff when new but not difficult to close. I suggest yo remove the seal and see if there is anything behind it.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

I don't know if my 300s is typical but after cocking the gun, the cocking lever closes without resistance to within about 2cm of the action and then a reasonably firm push is needed to close it fully until it clicks and engages. The breech seal on mine also stands ever so slightly proud from the metal (maybe 1-2mm).

Thank you both for the above, I definitely need to investigate further. After a few probes with a careful fingernail and a very smoothly rounded hardwood stick, I think I will be able to get it out without damaging it (and it isn't a hugely expensive error if I do, I believe seals are still readily available). Another look over the weekend is called for!

Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Thank you both for the above, I definitely need to investigate further. After a few probes with a careful fingernail and a very smoothly rounded hardwood stick, I think I will be able to get it out without damaging it (and it isn't a hugely expensive error if I do, I believe seals are still readily available). Another look over the weekend is called for!
    You say the gun was recently fitted with a new seal so of course they are available!
    But yes they are.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Just to finish this off.....
    The advice above was pretty clear that something was wrong, so I ordered a new seal, which meant that taking the old one out was not quite as fraught as it would have been without a spare. The new seal was 0.4mm shorter than the old one, so I cleaned the recess carefully and just fitted the new seal, also carefully. Problem solved, the cocking lever now closes very nicely with just a gentle push to snap it shut. Amazing how much difference 0.4mm can make!
    Thanks to all who contributed advice.