Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Laurie Mole Collection Going Under The Hammer 28th Jan. Banbury. Oxon

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    I don't know either who Laurie Mole was, but he liked collecting airguns

May be he's Adrian Moles brother
    He was Adrian's grandfather on the Jewish side of the family, they lived in Greece most of their lives before coming here to settle down and open a shop selling jellied eels.
    Nice things happen to nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    It really does stevegv8, eye watering. You expect something, last auction I went to a few years back now I paid 12%, 15% is considered normal and 20% high ( so I am told) so 23%?
    Don't forget VAT is payable on the auction fees too. The fees have gone crazy.

I can't live in the same town and not go and look but it's unlikely I'll bid there anymore.
    Did make a contact there though once and sold him all the old stuff I no longer wanted, so we both did well out of it.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Fees

You mean there's MORE

Anyone have experience bidding on The-Saleroom before? How does it generally work?

Just had a look online, there's certainly a good selection. A bit further than I feel like driving for an auction at the moment as I'm downsizing to some degree but if I lived closer I would certainly attend. We all know that auction estimates are meaningless and there will be some shocking prices achieved, but I've learned that with this sort of quantity on offer, persistence can pay off. Keep an open mind, look at everything in the view. Accept that there's commission to pay and allow for it, then wait, not everything breaks records.
    Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryMakarov View Post
    Anyone have experience bidding on The-Saleroom before? How does it generally work?
    Well I tried online bidding - ONCE only .
    Bad WiFi on the day and my bid was too slowly processed ...I have heard this before somewhere .
    Pipped to the post on something I really wanted .

Fees

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Just had a look online, there's certainly a good selection. A bit further than I feel like driving for an auction at the moment as I'm downsizing to some degree but if I lived closer I would certainly attend. We all know that auction estimates are meaningless and there will be some shocking prices achieved, but I've learned that with this sort of quantity on offer, persistence can pay off. Keep an open mind, look at everything in the view. Accept that there's commission to pay and allow for it, then wait, not everything breaks records.
    Mel.
    I was looking at the abundance of Webley Services ...Ohhhh so nice .
    My tongue in cheek calculations were on one other airrifle that was yesterday at £400 squids via the online bidding - so automatically thats an added fee of 3% , then as per previous post , but by next weekend the actual day of the auction .....Hmmm that 23% fee is the killer . Think I may not even look now

Quote Originally Posted by RoryMakarov View Post
    It's straight forward once you've jumped through the hoops on first registering. My only reservation is about bidding too quickly, let them wait a few seconds, I've only had one problem, I made my initial bid early when the item was standing at little over £100 there was something of a flurry of bids at the same time and after a moment or two I was shown as the leading bidder at £ 280. at which price it fell to me.
    Fortunately that was not a huge amount over what I would have paid and I was't too disturbed about it. I did follow it up, hoping to claw a few quid back, but nothing worthwhile resulted from it.
    I still think it's a great idea and use it quite often but do feel that the 3% fee is too high.
    Mel.

There are some very very nice things there

Highest Possibles, Greeners, Kynoch Swift, Very Very nice "Gem Style", More Webley services that you can shake a stick at , 1st Pattern Webley Mk 3's, Ansonias,Improved Britannia. Webley Mk 1 Rifles, Very nice Webley Pistols,Phaff or Paff rifles etc etc etc.

Wish I could go

Lakey