Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking allowing sales in the Collectable airguns section.

Rethinking allowing sales in the Collectable airguns section.

I really want to do this respectfully cause I am a new member of the forum and from the other side of the ocean. But I have found that this is such an informative engaging place to learn more about my new hobby. It does seem to me that allowing sales in this section maybe should be reexamined. Here are my thoughts.

1. There seems to be a lot of posts of this nature, do they really pertain to vintage airgun discussion?

2. Given current regulations these probably are of interest only to those in Great Britain? OK, call me jealous.

3. The forum calls itself the "The Internets #1 Shooting Sports Forum". I actually think this could be true given my experience in the last couple years. Given all the sales seem British does this make sense given the scope of the forum.

4. There is a sales area of the forum. If the vintage market feels it would get barried in with all the modern guns, why not create a vintage sales area?

Just some thoughts for the day.
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-01-2017 at 07:06 PM.

As a regular follower of the section in question, I see no problems with it. I have little interest in anything other than older models and rarely look in the other sales area.
    With respect, If it's not broke, don't fix it.
    Mel

I'm very new here, but to be honest I rather like things the way they are

I think the vast majority are happy with this section as it is already....

I would think if you're not happy with the forum in it's present context, There are other forums that you would be better using..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I really want to do this respectfully cause I am a new member of the forum and from the other side of the ocean. But I have found that this is such an informative engaging place to learn more about my new hobby. It does seem to me that allowing sales in this section maybe should be reexamined. Here are my thoughts.

1. There seems to be a lot of posts of this nature, do they really pertain to vintage airgun discussion?

2. Given current regulations these probably are of interest only to those in Great Britain? OK I call me jealous.

3. The forum calls itself the "The Internets #1 Shooting Sports Forum". I actually think this could be true given my experience in the last couple years. Given all the sales seem British does this make sense given the scope of the forum.

4. There is a sales area of the forum. If the vintage market feels it would get barried in with all the modern guns, why not create a vintage sales area?

Just some thoughts for the day.
    OK Steve - you're jealous. Maybe a vintage sales sub-forum would be an idea? But personally I don't mind seeing the sales ads, although I can see that from your point of view it must be frustrating.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Admittedly there has been a recent surge in items offered for sale in this section, but I can assure you that this is just one of those things and is certainly not the norm. Generally such posts are few and far between and so are quite interesting to read, especially if accompanied by photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    I have little interest in anything other than older models.

Mel
    Can't blame you there, Mel :- http://www.twiggylawson.co.uk/twiggypic2.jpg

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Can't blame you there, Mel :- http://www.twiggylawson.co.uk/twiggypic2.jpg

All the best Mick
    Exactly, She's certainly wearing better than I am.
    Mel

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

I think the vast majority are happy with this section as it is already....

I would think if you're not happy with the forum in it's present context, There are other forums that you would be better using ..
    As a retired forum moderator, and knowing (remembering) what it was like trying to sell collectables before this section was created, coupled with knowing from a 'hands on' stance the extra unpaid volunteer work that would be a bi-product of (a) going back to the dark ages of only being able to sell collectables in the main sales section -- as was once the case -- and/or (b) administering and moderating a separate collectables sales section (sub-section or otherwise), I have no option but to second John's closing comment as quoted here (and for the purposes of this post), as highlighted in red ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

This little corner of the forum is fairly quiet, leave it as it is, it has worked for the rest of us for many years.

I like it as it keeps us all up to date with pricing too.
    BASC

I like it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I really want to do this respectfully cause I am a new member of the forum and from the other side of the ocean. But I have found that this is such an informative engaging place to learn more about my new hobby. It does seem to me that allowing sales in this section maybe should be reexamined.
    Here are my thoughts Flint.
    Be quietly respectful.
    Ignore 'for sale' or wanted threads unless they are of interest.

This section, while informative, is a casual(?) gathering of interesting characters, and others.
    It is also a tolerant, patient community that even allows posts on FEGs and Relums.
    I am hopeful that your suggestion is on a hiding to nothing; and let that be an end to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SikKBvSuEd0
    Last edited by slow_runner; 22-01-2017 at 01:57 AM.

I very much like the Collectable section just the way it is!

The valuation and sales threads keep this section alive. It would not be the same without them, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

John

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    God I love this section. Even our debates don't get out of hand. Thanks for the opening post, though, 45flint, as even the gentlemanly debate you have inspired, as here, is to me, of interest and proof positive (if any proof be needed), that this is undoubtedly the best section, of the best air gun form, currently presiding, in cyber space, anywhere in the world, and long may it continue to be so.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    God I love this section. Even our debates don't get out of hand. Thanks for the opening post, though, 45flint, as even the gentlemanly debate you have inspired, as here, is to me, of interest and proof positive (if any proof be needed), that this is undoubtedly the best section, of the best air gun form, currently presiding, in cyber space, anywhere in the world, and long may it continue to be so.
    I almost put a really shirty reply Gareth but then remembered which forum I was in

It wouldn't do to get like in the general forum! (Almost jumped out of me carpet slippers!! )

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/