Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tx200 v prosport

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Purely cosmetic, don't quite know where the extra 80 quid comes from as they should perform as good as each other, personally I prefer the TXhc out of the lot of em, don't get me wrong, the Prosport is a nice looking rifle what I can never figure out is why they went to all the effort of making the rifle look so good and then bolted a piece of mechano to the underside of it... ��
    And if you have long boney fingers like i do it bloody hurts after a while. I love my prosport as it is a stunningly beautiful gun but the underlever looks to me like they run out if money or had no idear to have created that turd of an underlever.

Quote Originally Posted by mglhunter View Post
    Well quite agree with putting better materials and better cocking solution for the PS,

However, on the looks alone this was my dream gun for 6 years and when i bought one, never disappointed and my gut feeling held true to this day.
    It may be drumstick to you but it was like real centerfire classic african safari rig for me and that is beauty of the things in this world about different perception about different things.

Imagine all men liked the looks of Cheryl Cole for example and all women liked the look of me .

Then that would be a hard situation.

About putting things right at factory level should happen before the products left their shelves, however that is a problem with mass produced stuff these days, even Toyota has to recall entire models from market due to factory error and stuff. In a nutshell Prosport is a great concept and original design works as intended
    Oi keep Cheryl out of it, I'll not be able to consentrate otherwise... 😛

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by mglhunter View Post
    Hi Barry,

Mind you i am an international user and my guns and info source comes from USA, meaning i have experience with and will talk about exclusively FAC spec and this cocking shoe problem seems quite common over the pond as they discuss about getting better batch from Jim Maccari as he produces some time to time.

My friend's broken while he lent his rifle to someone and i have to get replacement from USA from someone who has replaced his with Maccari one.
    I researched the JM shoe a few years ago because I couldnt understand why JM was the only one in the world who made these over sized shoes, I thought if there was a problem with the factory shoes AA might consider putting it right as well as tuners like V-Mach would supply them but no they all stuck with the factory shoe and I think I understand the reason

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Mglhuter mentions a broken tx shoe and I was wondering how common this is anyone know ?
    Has to be very rare because I've only had 1 brake. I've had 11 TX's in total and have shot at least 250,000 shots through the lot over the last 18 years. The one that did go was a 1991 model and I only figured out it was broken when a tear down revealed a "2 piece" cocking shoe. I have just gotten a 1992 model that had been flogged by a fellow FT shooter for the entire life of the gun. Shoe is original as he has never changed it. The lock up is also perfect even after all this time and use. Most FT guys shoot what the average plinker would consider a lifetime supply of pellets in a year or two. The JM shoe is a great product as well and I now have them in about half my guns. After I had the one shoe break, I felt like it was sort of an insurance policy.

i could not get on with the pro sport and got rid very quickly. i now have tx full length and hc.

PS v tx

Have got two PS and one tx, and love them all, if I had to favour one it would be the tx!

I'll go out on a limb on here and say that the PS looks lovely but just isn't good enough! My main reasons for saying this is that it is not made in left hand which is frankly ridiculous in this day and age AND the cocking lever is truly dreadful. It should be made of steel like the Whiscombe or Airsporter not sharp edged alu. The cocking lever securing bolt is definitely a problem with some rifles out there but wouldn't of itself put me off as if it occurred it is easily sorted. There again, any issue with a spring rifle at that price point could be considered 'serious'.
    Other than that it is a fantastic rifle which I have tried very hard to like-and failed. I have owned 4 of the blighters and over the years have spent quite a lot of money getting decent left handed stocks made. Asking myself 'why bother' so I'm convinced the TX is a better bet for me.
    Personally even as a left handed shooter I actually prefer right hand load so that feature isn't really a deal breaker for me unless I intended to use a shooting glove which I don't.
    In my experience the TX shoots as well as the PS but I will concede, isn't as pretty. But there again nothing is-the PS is without doubt the prettiest air rifle ever made beating the gorgeous early Airsporter by a short head. However, 'handsome is as handsome does' and as the PS doesn't 'do' any better than the -usefully cheaper -TX I'll continue to favour the TX.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Why do some think that the TX has cocking shoe / cylinder lock-up issue ?

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/...?topic=63228.0

From what I understand about sliding breech guns it is better to have some play in the shoe and lockup to avoid as much stress on the linkage and seals and still have a tight enough seal.

If the tx really does have a cocking shoe / cylinder lock-up issue I would put up with the PS lever setup

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    As a bit of a "stop the press" moment, I fairly recently acquired a very nice left handed .22 TX200SR which is in for a service at present but that is one beautiful air rifle !
    I would like another maybe in .177 but that one alone took some bloody finding !
    A well recommended spring air rifle and a real pleasure to shoot !
    “An airgun or two”………

One shoots fantastic, one looks fantastic. One is very heavy, one is heavy. Neither are a light weight sporter. Both are a pleasure to own. Out of the box both are excellent though both can be tuned (several ways to do this) to about as good as a springer can go. Tuned, for all the additional cost, only makes them a little bit better, and if you don't get on with springers then tuned or not isn't going to help much.
    Lastly, no one makes any springer better, to the point only custom shops could if enough money was thrown at doing so. Lets hope AA keeps making them.

So at the end of the day its your call.

Owned both prefer prosport for balance, looks, and quieter cocking.

Quote Originally Posted by EV2UK View Post
    Could somebody please tell me what makes the Prosport around £80 more than the TX200.?

I had a TX200 in the early days.. I held of for a bit too get one with the anti beartrap as the one in the shop at the time didn't have the trap.

Looking at getting back into the FT scene but I have found myself wanting another TX, this time though a HC version.

Already own an EV2 and a GML 400 so want something for more informal days and garden plinking.

Almost certainly go for a TX200 HC in walnut but then I look at the Prosport and it keeps saying "buy me instead"

Cases both for and against welcome..

Tony
    Looks.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Not sure why you have to keep taking your PS apart Barry? I've only ever had mine apart a handfull of times in the many years I've owned it and that was when I fitted a tuning kit to it, I haven't had to touch it since and I haven't opened her up in nearly ten years, I've never had a problem with the cocking lever and mine is a very early one with the short stroked action from the factory, the only "upgrades" I've done apart from a Welsh Willy tuning kit and a Vortek "O" ring head are putting it into a later walnut stock and fitting the two extra side bolts to hold the action in the stock.

One of your photo's is very deceiving as it looks like if you take the rear bolt out that holds the trigger block in the alloy mounting rail under the main cylinder comes away as well (I know you haven't implied that's what happens but it could look like it does) as for the bolt that holds the cocking linkage to the compression tube, why you keep removing that is beyond me, you don't need to, to do a spring service or even to replace anything on the piston (yes it helps to take it out but you don't need to), I did read many years ago about that bolt coming loose but I Loctited it in just in case and it hasn't moved since, I really don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the cocking lever being uncomfy, fare enough I don't use it as much as most others would on here but when I do it still astounds me how it manages to put the pellets where I want them to go without me even trying (it's like the Firefox of the airgun world, just think what you want and it does it) it's that bloody good and if you had one like mine then you would understand why you don't need no Weihrauch

Pete

Sorry, Pete.....I'm failing to understand your last sentence!

And, anyways, two negatives make a positive, right? So, "You don't need no Weihrauch" translates to "You need a few Weihrauchs"!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sorry, Pete.....I'm failing to understand your last sentence!
    That's because it's been written in AA and not HW

You'll never understand unless you give in and join the Elitist Prosport cuddly club

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Why do some think that the TX has cocking shoe / cylinder lock-up issue ?

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/...?topic=63228.0

From what I understand about sliding breech guns it is better to have some play in the shoe and lockup to avoid as much stress on the linkage and seals and still have a tight enough seal.

If the tx really does have a cocking shoe / cylinder lock-up issue I would put up with the PS lever setup
    I think the blob of glue may have helped the ops shoe to break and some folks are very heavy handed when it comes to cocking. I have seen 2 late model guns with a loose lock up and one will take 3 o-rings and still have the cocking arm stay in the detent. Of course, this fixes that gun perfectly. The other guns owner used a shimmed HW97 seal instead of the o-rings and it seems to work. Most people don't realize it takes just the slightest, almost nothing, squish to work best. None of my 5 MarkI's have any lock up issues and my MarkII is good as well. I have 2 MarkIII's from 2000 and 1 is good and the other was presumed to be lacking. My "fix" seems to have made it a breech seal eater. I replace it every 100 shots, but I should have left it alone. I was brand new to the TX scene and had read a post about lock up. The rest is history. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. You are correct that the PS has perfect lock up at all times.