Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tx200 v prosport

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Here are a few facts that get mentioned when you get tx vs ps threads, better than all the different personal opinions

I think that most would say the PS is the best looking airgun in production but the things to consider are that the PS action is basicly a HC action with a concealed lever and that lever set up is not without faults, have you seen this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHtshzPMyrU

http://imgur.com/rideefO

But the worst bit for me is the bolt that attaches the linkage to the cylinder as I like to dismantle my gun a lot and this bolt can wear and come loose

http://imgur.com/Ib0vzoQ

But I still like the PS as it is the last of the old concealed lever type left in production

The TX is hard to fault and I like the HC, the mk 3 HC can and does win world championships and also if you want it for back garden plinking you can fit a proper silencer and if you are strong enough to handle the weight the cocking effort should be no bother at 28 lbs.
    Not sure why you have to keep taking your PS apart Barry? I've only ever had mine apart a handfull of times in the many years I've owned it and that was when I fitted a tuning kit to it, I haven't had to touch it since and I haven't opened her up in nearly ten years, I've never had a problem with the cocking lever and mine is a very early one with the short stroked action from the factory, the only "upgrades" I've done apart from a Welsh Willy tuning kit and a Vortek "O" ring head are putting it into a later walnut stock and fitting the two extra side bolts to hold the action in the stock.

One of your photo's is very deceiving as it looks like if you take the rear bolt out that holds the trigger block in the alloy mounting rail under the main cylinder comes away as well (I know you haven't implied that's what happens but it could look like it does) as for the bolt that holds the cocking linkage to the compression tube, why you keep removing that is beyond me, you don't need to, to do a spring service or even to replace anything on the piston (yes it helps to take it out but you don't need to), I did read many years ago about that bolt coming loose but I Loctited it in just in case and it hasn't moved since, I really don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the cocking lever being uncomfy, fare enough I don't use it as much as most others would on here but when I do it still astounds me how it manages to put the pellets where I want them to go without me even trying (it's like the Firefox of the airgun world, just think what you want and it does it) it's that bloody good and if you had one like mine then you would understand why you don't need no Weihrauch

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Not sure why you have to keep taking your PS apart Barry? I've only ever had mine apart a handfull of times in the many years I've owned it and that was when I fitted a tuning kit to it, I haven't had to touch it since and I haven't opened her up in nearly ten years, I've never had a problem with the cocking lever and mine is a very early one with the short stroked action from the factory, the only "upgrades" I've done apart from a Welsh Willy tuning kit and a Vortek "O" ring head are putting it into a later walnut stock and fitting the two extra side bolts to hold the action in the stock.

One of your photo's is very deceiving as it looks like if you take the rear bolt out that holds the trigger block in the alloy mounting rail under the main cylinder comes away as well (I know you haven't implied that's what happens but it could look like it does) as for the bolt that holds the cocking linkage to the compression tube, why you keep removing that is beyond me, you don't need to, to do a spring service or even to replace anything on the piston (yes it helps to take it out but you don't need to), I did read many years ago about that bolt coming loose but I Loctited it in just in case and it hasn't moved since, I really don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the cocking lever being uncomfy, fare enough I don't use it as much as most others would on here but when I do it still astounds me how it manages to put the pellets where I want them to go without me even trying (it's like the Firefox of the airgun world, just think what you want and it does it) it's that bloody good and if you had one like mine then you would understand why you don't need no Weihrauch

Pete
    Pete I don't blame you for likeing your PS it sounds like a nice one
    But you must have seen the threads where owners have had problems with the cylinder bolt and not just one or two.
    The PS a nice airgun and the last of its kind but the lever/linkage setup
    Can only be described as adiqute, I wonder if the cylinder bolt could be replaced with a hinge pin.

Just a comment about the Pro Sport. I always use anschutz target glove taylor'd to accept the PS under lever. Can shoot for hundreds of shots without it getting uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Just a comment about the Pro Sport. I always use anschutz target glove taylor'd to accept the PS under lever. Can shoot for hundreds of shots without it getting uncomfortable.
    Can't you just wear mittens

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Pete I don't blame you for likeing your PS it sounds like a nice one
    But you must have seen the threads where owners have had problems with the cylinder bolt and not just one or two.
    The PS a nice airgun and the last of its kind but the lever/linkage setup
    Can only be described as adiqute, I wonder if the cylinder bolt could be replaced with a hinge pin.
    I totally agree that the underlever set up could be better, like I said I read about ten years ago about the bolts coming loose (can't remember if AA where not Loctiting them from the factory) but there are plenty of high quality bolts available (if you're worried about the original bolt) that only need Loctiting in to solve the problem, I also agree that the TX is better built and the TXHC I had before the PS stole my heart just flabbergasted me with it's engineering robustness (infact I just kept cocking the damn thing as it was mesmerizing to see so much quality there was being used on an air rifle), I very nearly bought another TX the other day but just can't justify having one when it would never get used.

Pete

i too don't understand people complaining about the cocking handle, yes it feels a bit flimsy at first handling but in a year i have had never had a problem.
    Carefully smoothed the sharp edges with a file even though it is not needed, i wear fingerless shooting gloves anyway.

About the bolt under the cylinder, no big deal as well because i have loctited mine as soon as i heard about this problem when rifle was brand new and since it stayed there as if it was welded. You don't need to undone that screw to service the rifle that is not needed unless you wanted the compression chamber out of rifle.

All in all PS is a fine machine if you have a bit of mechanical skills to fix things, but if you have no knowledge about how things work then you will end up breaking anything really. My friend has a TX which was bought after my PS and he has broken a cocking shoe etc already so it comes down the driver behind the trigger.

if i was not a tinkerer i for one might be anti PS because shrould started walking forward when it was new and i have glued it back with epoxy.
    Morale of the story is all machines fail and has their weak points but you know what you are doing then they will last a life time.
    General quality i found with AA rifles are excellent compared to Diana Gamo Hatsan etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mglhunter View Post
    i too don't understand people complaining about the cocking handle, yes it feels a bit flimsy at first handling but in a year i have had never had a problem.
    Carefully smoothed the sharp edges with a file even though it is not needed, i wear fingerless shooting gloves anyway.

About the bolt under the cylinder, no big deal as well because i have loctited mine as soon as i heard about this problem when rifle was brand new and since it stayed there as if it was welded. You don't need to undone that screw to service the rifle that is not needed unless you wanted the compression chamber out of rifle.

All in all PS is a fine machine if you have a bit of mechanical skills to fix things, but if you have no knowledge about how things work then you will end up breaking anything really. My friend has a TX which was bought after my PS and he has broken a cocking shoe etc already so it comes down the driver behind the trigger.

if i was not a tinkerer i for one might be anti PS because shrould started walking forward when it was new and i have glued it back with epoxy.
    Morale of the story is all machines fail and has their weak points but you know what you are doing then they will last a life time.
    General quality i found with AA rifles are excellent compared to Diana Gamo Hatsan etc.
    At last someone who thinks the same as me

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Can't you just wear mittens

Pete
    Ha ha Pete if you saw this Anschutz glove I've got you'd want one too; very well made and comfortable. I even use it when ambushing rabbits with my FAC 80

Quote Originally Posted by mglhunter View Post

Quite agree with your sentiments regarding 'engineering skills' but sadly not everybody is as like minded as us 'lucky for me' I used to be an engineer so 'fixing or fabricating a solution' to a certain problem is well within my remit the point is that on a rifle of this quality there shouldn't be a problem in the first place especially if the problem is as easily solved as adding a dollop of 'thread lock' during the manufacturing process...

For me the issue is more about the lack of thought that went into the cocking arm as compared to the rest of the rifle, personally I don't like the look of the rifle either (it looks like a barbecued chicken drumstick with a scope on top) I much prefer the double barrelled/over and under look of the 'TXhc' but that's just my personal opinion, I bought my TX based on the looks and 'in my opinion' the slightly higher build quality of the cocking system...

The pro sport seems to be the marmite gun!
    You either do or do not !!

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Quite agree with your sentiments regarding 'engineering skills' but sadly not everybody is as like minded as us 'lucky for me' I used to be an engineer so 'fixing or fabricating a solution' to a certain problem is well within my remit the point is that on a rifle of this quality there shouldn't be a problem in the first place especially if the problem is as easily solved as adding a dollop of 'thread lock' during the manufacturing process...

For me the issue is more about the lack of thought that went into the cocking arm as compared to the rest of the rifle, personally I don't like the look of the rifle either (it looks like a barbecued chicken drumstick with a scope on top) I much prefer the double barrelled/over and under look of the 'TXhc' but that's just my personal opinion, I bought my TX based on the looks and 'in my opinion' the slightly higher build quality of the cocking system...

Well quite agree with putting better materials and better cocking solution for the PS,

However, on the looks alone this was my dream gun for 6 years and when i bought one, never disappointed and my gut feeling held true to this day.
    It may be drumstick to you but it was like real centerfire classic african safari rig for me and that is beauty of the things in this world about different perception about different things.

Imagine all men liked the looks of Cheryl Cole for example and all women liked the look of me .

Then that would be a hard situation.

About putting things right at factory level should happen before the products left their shelves, however that is a problem with mass produced stuff these days, even Toyota has to recall entire models from market due to factory error and stuff. In a nutshell Prosport is a great concept and original design works as intended

I have a TX HC in .177, bought new 3 years ago and it's never failed me, absolute tack driver. I occasionally hunt but found it a bit too heavy to 'walk and stalk' with if it's not just for a couple of hours; for target shooting it's a dream though. From what I've read, the full length TX is slightly better for target shooting, being more front heavy this mitigates some of the recoil and makes it easier for the shooter to maintain even higher shot-to-shot consistency. Never liked the Pro Sport because of the cocking mechanism though I'll admit that offhand I thought it had a slightly more natural balance to it than either the HC or full-length TX. The potential for reliability issues puts me off though; I love the chunkiness of the TX and the shorter dimensions of the HC make it quite a bit easier to handle out in the field.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    They both have there plus points so I got both.

But for hunting the Pro Sport has no equal.
    Master Debater

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Mglhuter mentions a broken tx shoe and I was wondering how common this is anyone know ?

Hi Barry,

Mind you i am an international user and my guns and info source comes from USA, meaning i have experience with and will talk about exclusively FAC spec and this cocking shoe problem seems quite common over the pond as they discuss about getting better batch from Jim Maccari as he produces some time to time.

My friend's broken while he lent his rifle to someone and i have to get replacement from USA from someone who has replaced his with Maccari one.