Thread: Webley Tempest

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......

Webley Tempest

Anyone suggest a place in the Kent area to get a service on a 1980's Webley Tempest? It wants a bit of love but is quite tidy.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by throdgrain View Post
    Anyone suggest a place in the Kent area to get a service on a 1980's Webley Tempest? It wants a bit of love but is quite tidy.
    Sorry you're not getting any replies so far mate. Can't help with the question as I'm up north. They aren't difficult to work on yourself if willing to get stuck in. Get parts from Chambers gun parts and download a manual or try youtube for service videos's. Google for gunsmiths in your area if you feel safer but it'll cost. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Yes, as above, a very easy pistol to service yourself. Probably the only thing to take extra attention to is the correct placing of the sear the right way round when knocking back in the roll pin, otherwise normally no problems.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Should have said. it's for my mate, he's much more the sort of bloke who gets things done rather than doing them himself. I have the gun here at the moment, it does feel underpowered, but then he bought it when he was 18, and he's in his mid-fifties now

I can't think how to fit my Combro to it either
    Mark

Probably not the closest, but I am sure Protek Supplies in Bognor Regis could do a good job.

Frankly, any halfway decent RFD ought to be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by throdgrain View Post
    Should have said. it's for my mate, he's much more the sort of bloke who gets things done rather than doing them himself. I have the gun here at the moment, it does feel underpowered, but then he bought it when he was 18, and he's in his mid-fifties now

I can't think how to fit my Combro to it either
    The "secret" for power from this pistol is to replace the spring with the original design flat section type coil spring. These are readily available from a couple or suppliers. I have also tried the replacement type round section spring that are cheaper and satisfactory but are lower on power production. If the pistol only needs a new spring this is a super easy job which needs hardly any dismantling. To do it yourself is less than £20.

Baz

Thanks for the advice guys, I watched a spring replacement on an older Webley on YouTube today, it certainly does look easy I assume the Tempest is much the same, only difference being the cover on the front of the pistol below the muzzle? I can't work out if those are allen keys holding that on or can just be gently punched out like the trigger on a Remington.

Either way, I'll give my mate all the info tomorrow, then it's up to him I guess.
    Mark

They're roll pins, not Allen bolts. You'll want to use exactly the right size of punch with a fairly crisp, flat front end to avoid distortion and ruining the edges of the holes. I'm forgetting which side to drive them out to, perhaps someone else can fill that in? If memory serves there's a bias to the roll pin fit, so better to drive them to one side of the pistol not the other. And that plastic fore-end is relatively easily cracked so do be careful. Otherwise disassembly is pretty similar to the older Webley models.

I have repaired about 30+ of these and always knock the pins out from the left (safety) side, and knock them back in from the right hand side which always seems to work smoothly. There is just one roll pin to take out to remove the plastic cover.

Baz

That'll do for me then
    Mark

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Done a few of these Mark- give me a call if you need help.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Cheers Tony, my mate has actually ordered the bits which is good
    Mark