Thread: Barrel swap

Barrel swap

Having dug out some old gun mags I can recall that at one time a couple of companies had the means and skills to swap barrels over on production air rifles (predominantly springers) back in those days. For example a few of the HW range having their factory barrels swapped for either Diana or Anschutz factory replacements.
    While I think there is a novelty factor at work here I am also guessing that there was some improvement in consistent accuracy or an increase in the range of compatible pellet choice?
    I don't think that there is much demand for this work these days but also are the skills still around? Also what choice of quality barrels would be around nowadays?
    I wonder what some of the current HW range would perform like when matched with a Walther barrel for example?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Having dug out some old gun mags I can recall that at one time a couple of companies had the means and skills to swap barrels over on production air rifles (predominantly springers) back in those days. For example a few of the HW range having their factory barrels swapped for either Diana or Anschutz factory replacements.
    While I think there is a novelty factor at work here I am also guessing that there was some improvement in consistent accuracy or an increase in the range of compatible pellet choice?
    I don't think that there is much demand for this work these days but also are the skills still around? Also what choice of quality barrels would be around nowadays?
    I wonder what some of the current HW range would perform like when matched with a Walther barrel for example?
    Dave
    I think there is a case of lucky dip these days with barrels...

Some people swear by BSA barrels, even fitting them to the likes of Steyrs, some say Lothar Walther make the best.

Then you find that a particular manufacturer used to make the 'best' barrels, changes their production plant and suddenly their barrels are pants...

Unless you have a stack of blanks to inspect and test, I think it's down to luck... much like finding the ultimate batch of JSB's!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardinDorset View Post
    I think there is a case of lucky dip these days with barrels...

Some people swear by BSA barrels, even fitting them to the likes of Steyrs, some say Lothar Walther make the best.

Then you find that a particular manufacturer used to make the 'best' barrels, changes their production plant and suddenly their barrels are pants...

Unless you have a stack of blanks to inspect and test, I think it's down to luck... much like finding the ultimate batch of JSB's!

I tend to agree... I've had good and bad from BSA, Theoben, HW. AA & LW (do AA use LW ?) do seem to be somewhat consistenly good though, but a "particularly good" barrel from any of the others can better them... FWB are excellent, but expensive. CZ S200 and Career barrels used to be great.

I guess it's the price we pay for relatively cheap mass produced products...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.