Thread: selling/passing on rubbish, sub obtimal performing guns

Smile selling/passing on rubbish, sub obtimal performing guns

wanted to post this in the sales section, but changed my mind.

Just wondering how some can do that to other unsuspected or inexperienced new buyers.

or other way round, who would sell a straight shooter, perfectly functioning gun

any inputs welcome.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Its happens 1000's of times a day with cars!!
    Master Debater

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post

Just wondering how some can do that to other unsuspected or inexperienced new buyers.

or other way round, who would sell a straight shooter, perfectly functioning gun

any inputs welcome.
    It all depends if you have a conscience or not, sadly some people dont.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

any inputs welcome.
    Lots do.

There are plenty of reasons:

Upgraded to something better.
    Rifle fit wasn't right for the seller.
    Decided to just use a PCP so selling a springer. (and vice versa)
    Fancied a change.

I've sold a couple of rifles that were excellent and had no issues for 1 or 2 of the reasons above.

Over the last year I have bought 5 rifles through forums I trust without issue.

Yes, there will be some that will offload their lemons but this is more likely to be through freeads and the like rather than this and other airgun forums.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Well I sold a HW95 fully tuned with a thumbhole stock and bought a BSA Mercury S instead, now who's the daft one?

Now I know that the Mercury will never shoot anywhere as nice as the 95 but sometimes it's what you feel confident with and what you want and enjoy shooting the most.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Must have bought at least 30 guns from this forum over the years, and happily to say all but one have been exactly as described. Some of the older springers have been a little low on power but surely this can be expected. I have found most people on here are genuine and the ones that are not tend not to last long. I must admit I have bought rifles I have taken a fancy to only to find I didn't like the way they handle. Some are just downright clumsy, some felt out of balance and so on. Many reasons for moving rifles on other than trying to get rid of a dog, it may be to fund something better and maybe just as simple as someone needing to free up some cash
    Last edited by ken69; 05-02-2017 at 03:53 PM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Must have bought at least 30 guns from this forum over the years, and happily to say all but one have been exactly as described. Some of the older springers have been a little low on power but surely this can be expected. I have found most people on here are genuine and the ones that are not tend not to last long. I must admit I have bought rifles I have taken a fancy to only to find I don't like the way they handle. Some are just downright clumsy, some felt out of balance and so on. Many reasons for moving rifles on other than trying to get rid of a dog
    I'd have to agree.
    On the whole I would say that I've had a better experience buying 2nd hand guns from here and the UBC, than I have with buying them new from gunshops.
    Good deals with these members

any inputs welcome.
    There are loads of reasons for selling a perfect rifle. The saddest one of all is needing the money but upgrading sometimes throws up major opportunities.
    Also bear in mind that you may be making a big mistake by selling. I've bought and sold quite a lot of gear over the years and my motive is upgrading-or trying to upgrade- what I have. Sometimes I have made catastrophic errors. For example selling a SFS Banshee (highly tuned HW95 for those that are unfamiliar with this particular model) not once but TWICE because I hadn't learned how to cure muzzle flip. Now I know how to do it can I find another Banshee? Not yet anyway.

As you are a new member have you been 'caught' by a bad seller or is your query just theoretical?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

thank goodness 99.9999999% of BBS members are decent , responsable people
    who value their reputations, as far as i am concerned there is no price on honest
    straight dealing!!!!!!
    atb brian

secretagentmole Guest
    The first Super 10 I bought was fantastic, 25 metre single holing, just shot the back of the pellet trap out after 10 shots. I thought I had a bad pellet trap. Using my Hawke MAP 6 I took aim at a bunny at 50 metres, giving the correct holdover for 11 ft lb as the seller assured me it was to see the pellet striking the dry earth 20 yards behind it.

Bought a Combro, tested the gun, 28 ft lb, brought new underwear. Managed to sell gun to a friendly RFD who wanted an FAC Super 10 and who stuck it on ticket. I got a brand new BSA Ultra MMC out of it (I was robbed)!

I've never tried selling or trading anything which isn't exactly as described and I've never been blatantly ripped off. Maybe I've been lucky , I believe most people are good intentioned , scrotes are a tiny minority.

I would never buy a rifle or pistol that is shown laying on a hard surface like ceramic tiles or paving slabs.(pet hate)
    If this displays the respect given to said rifle/pistol, you have to ask questions of the seller.

I have not bought many guns from the forum and of those I have bought I have only been sold one dud. That was a CO2 pistol many years ago. I realised it was faulty within a few minutes of opening the package and trying it. I contacted the seller immediately and there was no trouble with returning it for a full refund. I had the impression that the seller had, for whatever reason, not tested the said pistol and was unaware of the fault. I know there is a recent LGU thread going ... I did buy an LGU from here and while it was a little underpowered, I managed to tweak it and it has performed faultlessly ever since. So not all LGUs are useless.
    Have I sold a dud? No. I had one sale that went slightly wrong as the buyer thought the item was not working so I took it back for a full refund including all postage costs. On receiving it back I found it had maybe been 'tweaked' a bit but was functioning perfectly. Such is life. But I admit to preferring a ftf sale now so that I can demonstrate the item working and the purchaser can do any test to be satisfied.
    Cheers, Phil

any inputs welcome.
    Well first off posting this in sales would be breaking the rules as it's not a sale

Who says what is optimal or sub optimal ? some people strip & tune their rifles some don't they use them straight from the box & when sold they are still as they were made.

Deliberately selling a faulty or broken rifle as being in full working order is a different matter that's plain deceitful.

Plenty of people sell perfect rifles so they can buy something else .

I've bought and sold plenty on this forum.
    No one wants porkies, so just tell it how it is. One man's perfect tune is another man's ox spring nightmare. Buying anything unseen always carries some risk. Ask the questions, see quality pictures, pay the right value. If you don't like then pay to send it back, both sides are out of pocket. Live with the decision.

Its rare for things to go wrong, but not impossible. Many a rifle sold for shooting poorly just needed a bit of TLC and some screws tightening; others were never going to be tac drivers whatever you did with them. Its a hobby, you get good ones and bad ones; know your stuff.

Mint rifles can't be tested.

Be honest, then its easy.