Thread: Scout style scope positioning

Scout style scope positioning

Hi folks, the other day I was shooting one of Graemes hw35s which he had fitted with a 2x20 pistol scope in the far forward position... I can't remember having so much fun!
    I've since been scouring the net looking at scopes with long eye relief or extended eye relief.. it is a really difficult search, you have to go into the specs on each scope. I've not yet measured the eye relief I need yet, although the pistol scope done the job, I'd like a wee bit more than 2x power.
    I've narrowed my search down to a couple of offerings from PAO.. a 2-8x and a 2x. One of them have 11-13" of eye relief and the latter having 9-11". With reach forward mounts I reckon either of these would be acceptable.
    My question is, has anyone else got a setup like this and what optics are you using?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Hi folks, the other day I was shooting one of Graemes hw35s which he had fitted with a 2x20 pistol scope in the far forward position... I can't remember having so much fun!
    I've since been scouring the net looking at scopes with long eye relief or extended eye relief.. it is a really difficult search, you have to go into the specs on each scope. I've not yet measured the eye relief I need yet, although the pistol scope done the job, I'd like a wee bit more than 2x power.
    I've narrowed my search down to a couple of offerings from PAO.. a 2-8x and a 2x. One of them have 11-13" of eye relief and the latter having 9-11". With reach forward mounts I reckon either of these would be acceptable.
    My question is, has anyone else got a setup like this and what optics are you using?
    I came across some scopes that have very long eye relief when looking for tactical scopes, have a look at UTG's / Leapers site as a start

If it floats you boat, give it a go. But.....

Many years ago, I played with the pistol scope on break-barrel idea (think Webley Teleskan, allegedly invented by Jim Tyler in the 70s). I binned it for a regular 4x40.

Much later, in my firearm days, I owned a 30-06 Ruger M77 carbine with a scout sight set up, and a proper Leupold scout scope. Used it for one season, and replaced the scope with a regular low-power variable in the usual position. Much better.

The concept is great, but in practice its not so good. A regular small scope is better.

If you want to try it out properly, both Leupold and Burris make good quality dedicated scout scopes. but, like me, you will probably end up rather unimpressed with the idea.

think this had a long eye relief . http://www.hopairsoft.com/index.php?...product_id=110

the one I had was badged as a tasco too but had leapers instructions.

some had mil dots and others came with the ladder type reptile

edit. one site claims its only 3.5 in eye relief. I thought mine was more.

Most pistol scopes by design have a very long eye relief so that the reticule is in focus when your arms are almost fully out stretched in the normal pistol shooting position. I had one for years on my .30 M1 carbine as it is difficult to fit a normal rifle scope on them. Also handy for shooting moving targets with both eyes open. Since returning to UK I have used Rhino pistol scopes with 32 mm lens and found them quite good, but I am not sure if they are still available.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

It's just for a bit of fun... I enjoyed the both eyes open, quick target aquisution the low powered pistol scope gave... I'm actually thinking about putting one on my mk2 airsporter for some fast fire fuselade fun!!
    Donald

It's just for a bit of fun... I enjoyed the both eyes open, quick target aquisution the low powered pistol scope gave... I'm actually thinking about putting one on my mk2 airsporter for some fast fire fuselade fun!!
    I've not tried a long eye relief scope, Donald, but many moons ago my go-to ratter was a Mercury with a Singlepoint Red Dot. A well-matched combination, I thought, due to the fast handling nature of the Merc'. Awesome for plinking.....devastating on Rolands!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

PM sent

I've plumped a whole 25 quid for a 2-7x32 scope from China! Comes with bikini covers, cleaning cloth and rings!!!
    I'm full of eastern promise and it is Chinese new year after all - gong xi fa chai!
    I'll do a wee review when it comes.. I'm not expecting burris quality here, but I am hoping it's good enough to be an accurate plinking scope. I don't think anyone on here will have one.. it looks fairly new on the scene and there are very few scopes advertised with long eye relief.. this one is meant to have 8 - 13"... anyway.. I'm off to eagerly wait less than 60 days from delivery - guaranteed!
    Donald

I have an original Telescan.
    The concept works, a bit like a red dot, Singlepoint or Aimpoint. However, they only really work with very low power. Plus, as with the fine cross hair Telescan, they aren't fast or much use for precision shooting as they take an age to precision aim.
    Best used as a fast aiming device: if its in the frame fire.

Having said all that they are different and fun.