Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffin Issues - Advice Please

Griffin Issues - Advice Please

Hi All

A member of my local club recently bought a Griffin in .177 and has had issues ever since. First of all the pellet accuracy seemed to be quite bad even after checking and zeroing the rifle. After checking everything it was found that the moderator was loose. This was an easy fix but would not expect this with a brand new rifle out of the box.

Anyhow, continued to shoot the rifle a few times at the range over a month and found that I was still not accurate on any shot over 25-30 yards. Again we all checked the usual suspects (zeroing of the scope, pellet make, moderator etc.) but this time nothing wrong was found. So, we fired 10 shots through a chronograph. Average power of the rifle was 9.2ft/lb. Decided to shot through 2 more Chrono's to make sure of power. Average was the found to be 9.1ft/lb on one and 8.9ft/lb on the other. He decided that this needed looking into and went back to the shop.

Shop said it was for Daystate to sort. So he contacted Daystate and they said it was for the shop to sort. This went on back and forth for about 2 weeks. He decided to contact our local club gunsmith to have a look who is a Daystate service agent. He contacted Daystate to get permission to work on rifle as under warrantee. They said for him to first check the rifle through his Chrono as ‘They get a lot of people saying there rifle is underpowered when they’re not.’ He said he would and got 9.1ft/lb. Begrudgingly they said he could work on it.

When he went back to get the rifle the gunsmith said when he took the rifle apart he found the insides to be dirty and the grease used to also be dirty. Also the internals had a hell of a lot of metal shards (swarf) throughout. When both the gunsmith and owner contacted Daystate they basically called them liars. Also stated that they would not cover the costs under warrantee. Shop who sold him the rifle said they would cover 50% of the cost to fix it. Rifle has been tested now and is firing at 11.4ft/lb.

So my mate has spent best part of £1500 on a rifle that never shot right until an approved Daystate gunsmith fixed it and is now out of pocket even though it has a warrantee. Daystate want nothing to do with it. Anyone got some advice where he can go from here as it looks like complaining is not going to get him anywhere.

Atb Ross
    The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese..

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Shame them on faceache, or go to small claims court for costs.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Typical crappy attitude from Daystate. Shame a lot of internet reviewers suck up to their rep

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Shame on them even the diehards can't defend that sort of mistreatment to there customers

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Shame them on faceache, or go to small claims court for costs.
    Turnup

I will pass on the faceache idea. You never know, if he does tweet thing as well they may come back to him.

Thanks

Ross
    The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi2k View Post
    Hi All

A member of my local club recently bought a Griffin in .177 and has had issues ever since. First of all the pellet accuracy seemed to be quite bad even after checking and zeroing the rifle. After checking everything it was found that the moderator was loose. This was an easy fix but would not expect this with a brand new rifle out of the box.

Anyhow, continued to shoot the rifle a few times at the range over a month and found that I was still not accurate on any shot over 25-30 yards. Again we all checked the usual suspects (zeroing of the scope, pellet make, moderator etc.) but this time nothing wrong was found. So, we fired 10 shots through a chronograph. Average power of the rifle was 9.2ft/lb. Decided to shot through 2 more Chrono's to make sure of power. Average was the found to be 9.1ft/lb on one and 8.9ft/lb on the other. He decided that this needed looking into and went back to the shop.

Shop said it was for Daystate to sort. So he contacted Daystate and they said it was for the shop to sort. This went on back and forth for about 2 weeks. He decided to contact our local club gunsmith to have a look who is a Daystate service agent. He contacted Daystate to get permission to work on rifle as under warrantee. They said for him to first check the rifle through his Chrono as ‘They get a lot of people saying there rifle is underpowered when they’re not.’ He said he would and got 9.1ft/lb. Begrudgingly they said he could work on it.

When he went back to get the rifle the gunsmith said when he took the rifle apart he found the insides to be dirty and the grease used to also be dirty. Also the internals had a hell of a lot of metal shards (swarf) throughout. When both the gunsmith and owner contacted Daystate they basically called them liars. Also stated that they would not cover the costs under warrantee. Shop who sold him the rifle said they would cover 50% of the cost to fix it. Rifle has been tested now and is firing at 11.4ft/lb.

So my mate has spent best part of £1500 on a rifle that never shot right until an approved Daystate gunsmith fixed it and is now out of pocket even though it has a warrantee. Daystate want nothing to do with it. Anyone got some advice where he can go from here as it looks like complaining is not going to get him anywhere.

Atb Ross
    This is very shocking daystate --over priced- over rated-long over due to stop trading with attitudes like this ---There has been many better British gun company's that are now no longer that have had better attitudes than these but never had the following

Quote Originally Posted by Sv rider View Post
    Shame on them even the diehards can't defend that sort of mistreatment to there customers
    Hi Sv rider

I know, I have two Daystates myself and one was sent back for a check under warrantee with not a question asked. And that was for a rifle 2 and half years old. And this was for a rifle max 3 months old. I just don't understand how the service differs so much?

Thanks

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    This is very shocking daystate --over priced- over rated-long over due to stop trading with attitudes like this ---There has been many better British gun company's that are now no longer that have had better attitudes than these but never had the following
    Hi Zakdingel

I just don't understand how they can get away with this when the gun has been assessed by an approved gunsmith and there is a warrantee. Looks like the service has gone downhill in the last few years.

Thanks

Ross

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    The gun shop sold the gun and took the money - legally they are required by law to ensure it is of merchantable quality and fit for purpose - they are 100% at fault for not taking the gun back, and then returning it to Daystate after testing it and getting a return authorisation. This is why Daystate referred you back to the shop and was reluctant to involve anyone else, because it was the shops responsibility to deal with it - which is exactly what Daystate told your friend.

As for what your gunsmith found inside the gun, that is a different matter. I must say I'm surprised Daystate agreed to let him work on it, but if they did, and he is an authorised agent, then I have no idea why they would refuse to cover the costs.

This may sound a little naïve - but did you friend get any of this in writing - email perhaps? Things are not always as they seem.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Not sure why anyone would buy a Regal, painted silver and put into a fancy stock?
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    The gun shop sold the gun and took the money - legally they are required by law to ensure it is of merchantable quality and fit for purpose - they are 100% at fault for not taking the gun back, and then returning it to Daystate after testing it and getting a return authorisation. This is why Daystate referred you back to the shop and was reluctant to involve anyone else, because it was the shops responsibility to deal with it - which is exactly what Daystate told your friend.

As for what your gunsmith found inside the gun, that is a different matter. I must say I'm surprised Daystate agreed to let him work on it, but if they did, and he is an authorised agent, then I have no idea why they would refuse to cover the costs.

This may sound a little naïve - but did you friend get any of this in writing - email perhaps? Things are not always as they seem.

James
    Agree with above, What shop did he buy it from, May be a good idea to name and shame and to stop others from buying from them if the shop won't take responsibility. They sold him the gun.

Do Daystates still have that problem where the pellets can go back into the receiver?

That might explain all of those problems (poor accuracy, bits of metal inside, low power etc etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi2k View Post
    Hi All

Atb Ross
    If true there will be a "paper trail" of evidence, (& hopefully photo's of the internals) giving permissions, first contact the local trading standards, & only communicate further by e-mail or in writing so that you have proof of what Daystate say. demand either a replacement or refund if they refuse take them to small claims court.

The gun should have gone back to the dealer for warranty repair or replacement from new as soon as it was evident it was not correct, the buyer has to deal with the shop where it was sold, they in turn deal with their supplier or the manufacturer/importer direct, that's the law in the UK.

Yeah agree with above its the shops responsibility. If Daystate won't cough up, take them to Small claims court. I've done it 3 times now for different issues. Very easy and they will often settle prior to court. Good luck. Mark

Hi all

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    The gun shop sold the gun and took the money - legally they are required by law to ensure it is of merchantable quality and fit for purpose - they are 100% at fault for not taking the gun back, and then returning it to Daystate after testing it and getting a return authorisation.
    Jesim - thanks for that info - it's what I thought as well. I will pass this onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post
    Not sure why anyone would buy a Regal, painted silver and put into a fancy stock?
    Learningcurve - agree but he did.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Agree with above, What shop did he buy it from, May be a good idea to name and shame and to stop others from buying from them if the shop won't take responsibility. They sold him the gun.
    Madcarlos - if I was the one that bought the gun I would, but as I'm not, don't feel like I can really.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    Do Daystates still have that problem where the pellets can go back into the receiver?

That might explain all of those problems (poor accuracy, bits of metal inside, low power etc etc).
    Brian - I'm not sure if they still do but thanks for the info. Something that can be researched but by the sound of it it was not lead in the internals. But will ask before he goes too much further.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    If true there will be a "paper trail" of evidence, (& hopefully photo's of the internals) giving permissions, first contact the local trading standards, & only communicate further by e-mail or in writing so that you have proof of what Daystate say. demand either a replacement or refund if they refuse take them to small claims court.

The gun should have gone back to the dealer for warranty repair or replacement from new as soon as it was evident it was not correct, the buyer has to deal with the shop where it was sold, they in turn deal with their supplier or the manufacturer/importer direct, that's the law in the UK.
    angrybear - I'm not sure about photos, but there will be record of calls and paperwork for the work the gunsmith has done etc. Thanks for the info, will pass this on to him.

Again, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I'll pass all the info, advice and comments onto him (hopefully tomorrow at the range) and will see how things progress. Any other comments welcome.

atb

Ross