Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Longbow

Webley Longbow

Following on from a thread I raised a few weeks ago about my Webley Tomahawk, some responders recommended that I look out for a Longbow as a companion.

As luck had it, I recently came across one, again in .177 and I now own it. Haven’t shot it yet.

This one doesn’t have the walnut stock unfortunately like the Tomahawk, but it does have the same slimtech silencer so they look like a pair.

Forgive me repeating questions, but is there anything I should know, fettling recommended etc for this rifle or just leave it alone and shoot? I don’t think it’s ever been apart from the look of it.

Cheers

Steve

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Is "Longbow" stamped or etched on the cylinder??
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Is "Longbow" stamped or etched on the cylinder??
    Stamped, Birmingham.

Nice one; they're lovely rifles.

Never had a peep inside one so couldn't comment on the fettling side of things, but I'm sure someone with the relevant first hand knowledge will be along to advise.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nice one; they're lovely rifles.

Never had a peep inside one so couldn't comment on the fettling side of things, but I'm sure someone with the relevant first hand knowledge will be along to advise.
    Thanks Tony.

As with the tomahawk I’m impressed with the flawless deep bluing. It feels very well engineered too - even compared to modern weihrauchs. It has something of the theoben about it.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Following on from a thread I raised a few weeks ago about my Webley Tomahawk, some responders recommended that I look out for a Longbow as a companion.

As luck had it, I recently came across one, again in .177 and I now own it. Haven’t shot it yet.

This one doesn’t have the walnut stock unfortunately like the Tomahawk, but it does have the same slimtech silencer so they look like a pair.

Forgive me repeating questions, but is there anything I should know, fettling recommended etc for this rifle or just leave it alone and shoot? I don’t think it’s ever been apart from the look of it.

Cheers

Steve
    Well done Steve
    The longbow will complement your Tomahawk .
    I would shoot some lead down range and if the guns performing nice leave as it is.
    I have been fortunate to buy a couple of Leupold gloss finish scopes from Mach 1.5,and I am going to put these on my Tommie and longbow.
    Regards
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Well done Steve
    The longbow will complement your Tomahawk .
    I would shoot some lead down range and if the guns performing nice leave as it is.
    I have been fortunate to buy a couple of Leupold gloss finish scopes from Mach 1.5,and I am going to put these on my Tommie and longbow.
    Regards
    Les..
    Cheers Les.

I’ll put it through it’s paces tomorrow all being well. As you say if all seems well, unless someone knows something to the contrary, I’m inclined to leave it be.

The scopes on mine are not Leupold quality, unfortunately. They should compliment your Webleys well.

It's basically the same as the Tommy mate, just go through the the replies to the old thread, atb Daz

Agreed. If it shoots fine, leave it alone.

Oddly, my Longbow and Tommie also have period gloss Leupolds on top.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAZ View Post
    It's basically the same as the Tommy mate, just go through the the replies to the old thread, atb Daz
    Cheers Daz.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agreed. If it shoots fine, leave it alone.

Oddly, my Longbow and Tommie also have period gloss Leupolds on top.
    Oh god, is this a thing. Do I need to hunt down glossy leups now.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Oh god, is this a thing. Do I need to hunt down glossy leups now.
    No,
    Just ask Mach what else he has that would go,
    Personally, Id hunt down an elusive walnut stock for it, biggest improvement to a standard one barring a fettle-tune and venomesque suppressor/muzzle weight
    trigger on the longbow when sorted is perfect, standard with a bit of time and setting is more than good enough,

haven't used one in the smaller calibre, but two in .22 and both brilliant,
    one custom, one sorted by a fine fellow and longbow jedi on here
    yet to use better, seen better bits on some etc

but as a general package awesome

Quote Originally Posted by LeeO View Post
    No,
    Just ask Mach what else he has that would go,
    Personally, Id hunt down an elusive walnut stock for it, biggest improvement to a standard one barring a fettle-tune and venomesque suppressor/muzzle weight
    trigger on the longbow when sorted is perfect, standard with a bit of time and setting is more than good enough,

haven't used one in the smaller calibre, but two in .22 and both brilliant,
    one custom, one sorted by a fine fellow and longbow jedi on here
    yet to use better, seen better bits on some etc

but as a general package awesome
    Thanks Lee

The only fly in the ointment is the none walnut stock, I will definitely keep an eye out for one.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Didn't Custom Stocks of Sheffield make one for the Longbow (I'm sure a member on here had one made by them once) or will they deny all knowledge of ever making stocks for certain rifles, like they have in the past when asked about availability for rifles not on their list.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

First outing with the longbow this morning, all good. Shoots very similar to the tomahawk but perversely I think I prefer the tomahawk because of the slightly extra weight and better balance. If I was lugging it round a field all day doubtless the tomahawk would lose some of its charm and the longbow would be a better option.

As I only shoot targets, I think the the Tommy will be a go to rifle, but nice to have the pair.

Thanks to all for the responses and advice.

A few pics below, they make a handsome pair.

https://i1184.photobucket.com/albums...EF85FC5AE.jpeg
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...2B11A1709.jpeg
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...BF9C57F43.jpeg
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...59B0ADF8A.jpeg