Thread: The Parsons?

Rupert Guest

The Parsons?

Hi folks, just a very quick question while I think about it - does anyone know why the little all-black wild rabbits are called 'the Parson's' and why is it supposed to be unlucky to shoot them?

I've tried a search, but it came up with no real results.
    I must say i've never heard of this saying....but will follow this thread.

Pete.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Well I'd imagine they're called Parson's because they are all black like a vicar's (parson's) robes. Probably considered unlucky to shoot them due to their link with god or summat, although if you're an atheist then feel free to shoot.

Edit: It's probably just a saying local to Ruperts area, although I may be wrong.

Rupert Guest
    Yeah, I know, that's what I thought, but I heard them called that in Gloucestershire, where I shoot, then again in Buckinghamshire where my pal has a shoot. I mentioned it to my Father in Suffolk, and he knew black rabbits as 'Parsons' and so does my mate in Essex?

Strange huh!

Deano1 Guest
    Not sure about the parson bit, but I was told that game keepers used to put a certain amount of many black rabbits into the wild population and would keep count of the black ones, if any went missing they would know that they had a poacher problem, that would probably explain the bad luck bit,well it would if you were the poacher, thats why the poachers would leave the black rabbits.

(Awaiting correction)

No Deano1, you are correct.

Very artfull our old poachers were. They had to be, the gamekeepers were as clever too.

Pete.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Rupert Guest
    A-ha!

I feel I need to slap my forehead at this point before doffing my cap the the clever old game-keepers of yesterday!

Many thanks