Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what gives with Diving Shops?

Verminhunter - I've thought of the perfect solution. Get yourself a stirrup pump.

Lionel

chris ballard Guest
    My lot are fine, they often knock a bit off depending on the weather. They were even good enough to tell me the best times to get down there to avoid a rush (Wittering divers, west wittering, sussex)

if i had my own compressor and any1 with a bottle and a proper test cert i'd charge a couple of quid.

need to get my 3l 300bar bottle tested again but i have a pump too so im not really bothered.

The COST could be attributed to the fact the Health and Safety have changed the rules on TESTING the bottles. Now only QUALIFIED people may test em which means some of these facilities will have to pay for the guys to take the courses. This cost MAY be passed on to the fills slightly.

Then again maybe the government has FINALLY got round to taxing air too

Lets face it the DID tax Manure (animal shat)

Zeb

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by lionel
    Verminhunter - I've thought of the perfect solution. Get yourself a stirrup pump.

Lionel
    You must be joking,I need my arms,Lionel your a big fella how about if I get a stirrup pump you can fill my 7lt 300bar tank ,wont take you long with those long arms of your,you'd fill it up in no time,I'd even buy you a chicken roll and a cup of tea,hows that.

Stern Fox Guest

Thumbs down

I went into my local dive shop in Norwich (the only dive shop in miles) to get my 3 ltr 300 bar bottle filled up. Ok thats £4.50 the guy said to me "oh by the way do you have your paddy or dive membership on you" no i said then it will be £23!!! i was told that the dive associations sub the cost for divers. Has anyone else had this problem?

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stern Fox
    I went into my local dive shop in Norwich (the only dive shop in miles) to get my 3 ltr 300 bar bottle filled up. Ok thats £4.50 the guy said to me "oh by the way do you have your paddy or dive membership on you" no i said then it will be £23!!! i was told that the dive associations sub the cost for divers. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sounds like the bloke is taking the p155 - £23 for fresh air

I bet you moan about paying for water that falls from the skies as well.

Navigator Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    He probably knows his overheards, knows he's not going to make a lot doing £3 fills whatever the size, and regards you as a damn nuiscance.

Divers go back and spend money in the shop on kit.

Not saying it's nice, but probably a true reflection
    I know the shop your on about. I'm a diver as well and didn't like his attutide. maybe I caught him on a bad day but I don't buy anything off him now. There are other places to fill up round Newbury. You get a lot of people coming in for refill, it is a lot of cash over the counter. It is what brings customers in. As an aside. Most shops will fill your bottle to 220 bar because that is what most divers use. Yes you can get 300 bar bottles but there are not so many shops that can fill it. The next point is that if they fill it up to 220 bar remember it is hot so as it cools down you will find you have less. Can be as much as 30 bar. If they are good the shop will have a large tank of water that they put the bottle in to help keep the heat down so you get a better fill.
    I have also done a dive and gone in with about 120 bar and I get charged the full wack to bring it up to 220 bar so us divers get hit as well. Um and perusing the last comment. Dive associations do in their **** sub the cost of refills. You pays your money and thats it. That would be like on eof the air gun associations agreeing to pay half your air cost. Hmmm bankruptcy looms.
    Some shops are so nice.
    And finally, you can buy a gauge that screws into your bottle and tells you how much air is in it. have a look on **** I have seen them there.