Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Devastated !!!

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyb View Post
    I don't see how a common medical condition even comes close to the above examples.
    You need to read post 6.
    I don't know how bad or not OP is, but many years ago a work colleague was prone to hypo's, we would always have to keep an eye on him and when you saw the signs make sure he got his sugar levels back up, but sometimes he was overlooked until it was too late, on his last day at work it took 3 of us to stop him jumping out a 2nd story window, we all got various bumps and bruises, I got a black eye and split lip. Not an experience I'd want to go throu again.

secretagentmole Guest
    The problem is the OP cannot legally own his guns now, as the police view that a severe deprivation of Tunnock's Wafers turns him into an air rifle wielding homicidal maniac!
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 30-01-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    If I was in your situation, I'd leave and come to England. You obviously love your sport and associated equipment so if practical, come on down. I realise there's a lot to consider here but if you feel so cheesed off, escape the totalitarian regime. A horse addict killed a toddler with an air rifle and YOU have to lose the hobby/sport you LOVE? Eff that indeed.
    I think in the OP's position, if I was to move house I'd move closer to the transplant centre. Being a recipient can be very much a case of being the first through the door when the call goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka60 View Post
    I have just been told that it's unlikely that I'm going to be granted and Airgun Licence.

I have been shooting airguns since 12 years old and my only interests are shooting and vermin control. I have several permissions which I look after regularly.

Never had any problems with the police and always rang them before leaving to let them know where and when I was going out.

The reason given, As a Diabetic with "Hypo Unawareness "
    Absolutely shattered. Is an understatement !
    What the hell does having Diabetes has to do with shooting airguns? You have not applied to be a fighter pilot, have you?

A.G

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    What the hell does having Diabetes has to do with shooting airguns? You have not applied to be a fighter pilot, have you?

A.G
    Hypos can change a person much like being drunk can. Some people can become aggressive and angry to the point you have to wait for them to collapse into a coma before you can help them, some become giggly and fall over, some can lose control of their muscles and thrash about like a landed carp. Different for every diabetic.

I am lucky I have warning signs. I had one episode of being "glassy" and not being able to discern hypos, that was changed by altering the way my insulin was injected from twice daily to 4 times a day! That was many years ago and I would not like to repeat the experience.

What I would ask if I was the OP though is what is being done about shooters who suffer from heatstroke. Just as dangerous. It can get hot in those there hills!

One of my neighbours was killed in a head on hit by a driver who claimed he went hypo and didnt realise. He was uninjured and walked away. My neigh our killed outright and left a widow and a toddler.
    So yes....it is a condition that can be an issue.
    I am type 2 and not had a hypo or even a hi t of 1.
    If you are type 1....your doctor may shed so.e light and if they didnt state it as a concern....then they might write in your favour.
    Certainly appeal and fight it everywhich way you can. The licencing in scotland is just such a wit answer to a problem thats disproprtionately small.
    Maybe speak to the diabetic society and get advice there. If you dont have shooting insurance your home contents or building c9ver often covers free legal advice and some of the shooting orgs now include.legal expenses cover that allows you to initiate action and not just defend. So if your with BASC or possibly SACS you may have some insurance options too.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Aww come on Scottish police. It is a dinky air rifle, less dangerous in the hands of a diabetic running amoc than a piece of two by four. If he went hypo and dropped it and it went off, he might break a window.

This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    This or the countryside alliance ---Keep us up to date with what happens good luck I have a feeling this will not be the first case
    bit late now as the horse has bolted!!!

Okay, so let’s try and put some numbers on this (all wild guesses)…
    Chances of going hypo when out shooting = 1/1000
    Chances of dropping a gun when going hypo=1/10
    Chances of the dropped gun turning around and pointing at shooter when dropped = 1/1000
    Chances of dropped gun going off= 1/1000
    Chances of wound created being fatal (cos it is only an air gun)= 1/100
    So shooting 250 times a year you’d have to be shooting 4 000 000 000 years before you had a good chance of killing yourself. That is half the life of the universe. I’ve never heard of any diabetic airgun owner accidentally killing themselves.

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Okay, so let’s try and put some numbers on this (all wild guesses)…
    Chances of going hypo when out shooting = 1/1000
    Chances of dropping a gun when going hypo=1/10
    Chances of the dropped gun turning around and pointing at shooter when dropped = 1/1000
    Chances of dropped gun going off= 1/1000
    Chances of wound created being fatal (cos it is only an air gun)= 1/100
    So shooting 250 times a year you’d have to be shooting 4 000 000 000 years before you had a good chance of killing yourself. That is half the life of the universe. I’ve never heard of any diabetic airgun owner accidentally killing themselves.
    So you've not bothered reading posts by those of us who have had to deal with people having hypo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    So you've not bothered reading posts by those of us who have had to deal with people having hypo's.
    I read them. We are talking about air guns. If someone loses it they would probably do more damage hitting someone with a brick than shooting them with an air gun. 12ftlb air guns are not effective weapons.

secretagentmole Guest
    I read them. We are talking about air guns. If someone loses it they would probably do more damage hitting someone with a brick than shooting them with an air gun. 12ftlb air guns are not effective weapons.
    Try reading the news about the poor toddler in Bristol then. Also capable of easily removing the sight in one eye. Some people have perfect muscle control even at sub 1.5 mmol gluscose levels (anything below 4 is hypo). So please respect the opinions of those of us who have suffered from the damned disease for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Try reading the news about the poor toddler in Bristol then. Also capable of easily removing the sight in one eye. Some people have perfect muscle control even at sub 1.5 mmol gluscose levels (anything below 4 is hypo). So please respect the opinions of those of us who have suffered from the damned disease for decades.
    also the child who died in Glasgow which was one of the reasons the license farce was put in place.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ch...airgun&ie=&oe=

quiet a few deaths there. by AIRGUNS.

also this

Two committed suicide, one person shooting himself in the head, the other in the chest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC500806/

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    I take your point about a brick but with all due respect I think your post plays down just how dangerous a 12 ft/lb rifle can be.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !