Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting collectable guns finish

polish.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I once read on an antique sword forum that spray polish was mostly used as it leaves a microscopic polymer layer that acts as a barrier, once it's buffed, It dries, oil gets all over you and dust sticks to the oil so allows the gun to get d

John
    I can certainly vouch for your comments on polish, along with Ballistol oil,Double TT spray etc for lubrication and cleaning and waterproofing against corrosion. Ihave used Mr Sheen and Pledge spray polish on most off my shotgun barrels and woodwork for years, one in particular a
    winchester O/UNDER from 1975 has had nothing but spray polish on the outer surfaces and there is no sight of any rust spots, the gun has been out in many a rain storm over the years,i mop out the internals with the above spray etc.
    Roly.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAZY View Post
    What's the issue with the foam cases? I keep my co2 guns in their original cases with the foam inserts and the rest in plastic cases also foam lined, mostly flambeau. Also they all get then stored inside flight cases. This looks very cool but also I think stops the fluctuations in temprature that may cause moisture. from time to time spray some gun oil over them and give them a wipe. I'm using garlands. I do seem to remember hearing before the foam may be an problem. Any advice?
    I use foam cases but wrap a microfibres cloth around the guns.
    Foam and oil can damage some finishes.
    HW tell you not to store their pistols in foam for that reason.

If you keep guns and foam clean I guess it might be ok but why risk it.

Mmmm...@flogger; Certainly the Harley-Davidson US Forum has recommended Pledge to shine and protect paintwork and chrome - I thought it was a hoax at first, but, I have used it for 10 years on a Sportster since it was new and is still immaculate now. It was suggested not to spray directly, but, spray on to a cloth and buff in.

Best regards to all......

Interesting I have looked on US gun forums and the British made Renaissance wax has a excellent reputation with guys preserving their high value guns. Is it that the imported product has to be better? Is it indeed used by museums as it says? It certainly adds beauty to the surface.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting I have looked on US gun forums and the British made Renaissance wax has a excellent reputation with guys preserving their high value guns. Is it that the imported product has to be better? Is it indeed used by museums as it says? It certainly adds beauty to the surface.
    Thanks for this mate - I will certainly be looking into getting some - http://www.picreator.co.uk/articles/...ssance_wax.htm

Thanks again!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Depends on what they are made of.
    If its not steel then just keep it clean.

If they are steel a gun oil such as Express or Napier on a rag works ok if you do it every few weeks.

Renaissance doesn't work on my knives unless you don't polish it.
    Ballistol stinks.

Where and how you store is important.
    Avoid foam cases and damp garages.

Most important IMO is to play with them all regularly!
    Ballistol stinks lovely.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I use American military grease, lanolin basedi think
    Green tin stamped november1972.
    Made for jungle type conditions. And it works great.
    snarepeg.

oils

I love the smell of ballistol, i have just found a bottle of oil i bought years ago it is called BALLISTOL KLEVER. Its a alkaline based oil invented in 1905 as a anti rust oil, lubricant and preservative.the leaflet says it is ideal for guns and other items and is ideal in damp and tropical conditions but should not be mixed with other oils etc.When i visit the ciney collectors fair in Belgium there is a chap that sells ballistol products which includes oils and cleaners and polishes etc. Roly.

A dry non humid atmosphere, plus an occasional wipe over with an oily rag! I have seen guns 100 years old stored in a dry loft without any oil in three generations, come out of that loft still with all blue intact and no rust.
    Damp is the killer for a decent blued finish!

With collectable guns part of the joy of ownership is looking and maybe displaying them. The value of a wax protectant is that it enhances this aspect? Some of the ideas here might be better for storage? It still amazes me the lack of concenus on the best approach, it really is all over the place?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    It still amazes me the lack of concenus on the best approach, it really is all over the place?
    I think the lack of consensus is because loads of products work fine and the key, as slug-gun says, is that guns are kept in a non-humid, dry atmosphere. If there's no moisture, there's no rust...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I have always used 3 in 1 on my guns, but when I display in a cabinet, I have used Renaissance wax which leaves the roll stamping/engraving white like in the second photo here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...rial+no.+21374
    Last edited by Binners; 01-02-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Found this UTube on Renaissance Wax, will respected US gun supply retailer.

https://youtu.be/KlToim_s0c0

At the moment I'm using Barricade on my guns and AC50 on my bikes!

If you have a non scoped gun and want 100% rust protection then invest in a Interceptor sleeve which is basically a copper bag inside a sleeve. They are expensive but I have all my old shotguns and some rifles in them now.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    I use American military grease, lanolin basedi think
    Green tin stamped november1972.
    Made for jungle type conditions. And it works great.
    Hi

I have this Gunoil that I bought from a bootsale years ago, The fella had a box full of it (Surplus I think), It was two or three quid a bottle, Wish i'd bought more than just the one bottle now

I looked it up on fleabay, It was only available inb the U.S. and was flippin' expensive!! Although it's only £12 a bottle online now!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/