Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I fancy a pistol...

So, I fancy a pistol...

... just for something different, but I'm a bit fussy. So I though I'd mine the knowledge of this forum.

1) I don't really want CO2 or PCP, I like to keep it simple..
    2) I don't want a replica. I don't have a problem with them, they're just not for me.
    3) If there's something that looks like wood on it, I'd like it to be wood.
    4) I would prefer not to buy new.

...and can someone explain to me how you know what kind of power you'll get? Air rifles are often sold as "full power" but I don't see similar words with pistols.

0.177 makes sense to me in a pistol format, flatter trajectory etc, but I'm willing to be told that 0.22 is the way - my rifles are all 0.22 if that helps.

What's out there for plinking and targets (but not in a serious, £1500+, slow your heartbeat kind of way!)?

Thanks,

Rob.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    HW45, older Webley Tempest/Hurricane (S/H) would float your boat.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Hw45 - don't expect to hit much for the first thousand pellets though. It takes a while to get used to.
    After trawling the info on here, I dumped the original piston seal and replaced with a red Aussie seal.
    Some people have also tried the timbum kit with good results also.
    I have a silver star in .177 and only shoot it on full power mode. (Around 5ftlb) most people would suggest the .22 is smoother, I can't comment because I have never tried .22

All in all, it's great fun and highly addictive bit of kit. I'm not hugely accurate with mine, but it has the potential once handling the recoil has been learnt.
    I find a loose grip on high power and firmer grip on the lower power setting works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    better still a walther lp53 ......more accurate than both the Tempest and 45 and tuneable into 480 fps territory if wanted.
    Better still a Feinwerkbau 65 but much more bulky....sports grip rare and very any grip version very expensive.
    A good ASI Center will out shoot any Tempest or 45 but getting scarce as are Original/RWS 5 and 6

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Agree with that. In fact I got the same 'itch' last week so bought a 2nd hand (Brummie) Tempest from the sales section here.

I've never had a 'tuned' air pistol although it must be possible with the spring powered ones. The power is usually pretty mild anyway; the HW45 being one of those usually closest to the maximum of 6fpe and I reckon the Tempest likely nearer 4fpe. Given that most pistol target shooting seems to be 6-10yds and that many are used for fun plinking anyway, power really isn't an issue.

I'm looking forward to getting my 'new' Tempest and bringing back memories of my teens...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I'll keep an eye out in the secondhand section for the models mentioned.

Not sure about the HW45 though, still looks a bit too much like a "proper gun" to me. Perhaps I'll need to see one in the flesh.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    I'll keep an eye out in the secondhand section for the models mentioned.

Not sure about the HW45 though, still looks a bit too much like a "proper gun" to me. Perhaps I'll need to see one in the flesh.

Thanks.
    It develops mixed reviews but club shooters do not tend to like.
    Along with many springer pistols ive worked on, it has a set of parameters which are problematic.
    The compression ratio, and spring compression were such to overcome a very inefficient transfer port (which bends around 90 degrees to afford the compact design like the Webleys) but while the webley gets away with it at 3.5 ftlbs, the 4.5 ftlb plus 45 ignites with a constant flash over point being reached.....as a constant....some say as design.
    The compression ratio is also very bad for bounce and requires piston weighting to reduce secondary recoil.
    You got 2 choices.....
    Run the bugger dry with a tinbum type kit of no lube requiring internals.......to prevent dieseling but deal with a slight secondary recoil nuisance...
    Or shove the stock steel spring guide down in the piston to kill the secondary.....
    but this being steel will need lubing.....and thus flash over is the problem.
    Its a bugger.
    Ive tried a raft of mix ups of various piston weight top hats and stuff but never fully conquered it for my club
    fellows......but eventually turfed out for tuned walther 53s, HW70 s, Gamo centers and Feinwerkbaus..

Most of what's been suggested. Also, as clarky mentions briefly, the Diana/Original LP5 and 5G (and the recoilless 6/6G/6M variants) are a classic pistol and well worth a look. And in my experience are not too hard to find.

BSA Scorpion? BSA 240 Magnum?

Webley Senior or Premier?

Sheridan HB multi-pump?

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    It develops mixed reviews but club shooters do not tend to like.
    Along with many springer pistols ive worked on, it has a set of parameters which are problematic.
    The compression ratio, and spring compression were such to overcome a very inefficient transfer port (which bends around 90 degrees to afford the compact design like the Webleys) but while the webley gets away with it at 3.5 ftlbs, the 4.5 ftlb plus 45 ignites with a constant flash over point being reached.
    The compression ratio is also very bad for bounce and requuirespiston weighting to reduce secondary recoil.
    You got 2 choices.....
    Run the bugger dry with a tinbum kit of no lube required internals.......to prevent dieseling and deal with a slight secondary recoil nuisance...
    Or shove stock steel spring guide down in the piston to kill the secondary.....
    but this being steel will need lubing.....and thus dieseling..
    Its a bugger.
    Ive tried a raft of mix ups of various piston weight top hats and stuff but never fully conquered it for my club fellows......but eventually turfed out for tuned walther 53s, HW70 s, Gamo centers and Feinwerkbaus..
    The Aussie red seal goes a long way to stop the dieseling. The other factors are correct though. But hey ho, if tack driving is required you may a well go with SS Pneumatic or PCP?

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    The Aussie red seal goes a long way to stop the dieseling. The other factors are correct though. But hey ho, if tack driving is required you may a well go with SS Pneumatic or PCP?
    I think I'd be happy with an SSP or MSP, just not a PCP - I don't have the rest of the gear.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    As well as the HW and Webley I have a Diana LP 5 (very powerful and accurate when you master it- actually mine is WAY more powerful than my 45- but still legal naturally) I've rebuilt a couple of Diana 6's (not the full target version) and sold one which funded the 2nd. Excellent but a bit sterile- prefer the '5 for fun.

Would the op consider a SSP? The webley nemesis is an underrated pistol, I've just moved on a 22 version and its new keeper loves it, very accurate. I have HW75, but it seems to have the dreaded main seal/valve problem. Won't hold pressure long enough to load and fire a pellet.

Of course there is always the most tuned pistol ever- Crossman 2240. OK I know it's CO2, but can be tuned and modded into a very accurate and fun pistol. Mine will go to the grave with me
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I had a Browning Buckmark for a while, not massively powerful, but accurate and easy to live with, technically a replica though...

I recently bought a Baikal MP-53 springer, not had chance to fettle it yet, but first impressions are good. There is slight muzzle lift, but it seems able to produce reasonable groups at short range, when I get a case big enough to keep it in, I will be off to the 10m range to see what it can do. It's no powerhouse, but I am looking forward to giving it a good try-out.

No wood in sight, but some Russian owners are creative, modding it with custom carved grips and stocks.

Happy shopping, and let us know what you decide upon.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

'1) I don't really want CO2 or PCP, I like to keep it simple..
    2) I don't want a replica. I don't have a problem with them, they're just not for me.
    3) If there's something that looks like wood on it, I'd like it to be wood.
    4) I would prefer not to buy new.'

FWB 65/80?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I think a FAS 604 would cover all the options. They are great consistent pistols, well ballenced and with a very nice target grip. These also seem to pop up for very reasonable prices.

Gamo compact?