Thread: So, I fancy a pistol...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    It develops mixed reviews but club shooters do not tend to like.
    Along with many springer pistols ive worked on, it has a set of parameters which are problematic.
    The compression ratio, and spring compression were such to overcome a very inefficient transfer port (which bends around 90 degrees to afford the compact design like the Webleys) but while the webley gets away with it at 3.5 ftlbs, the 4.5 ftlb plus 45 ignites with a constant flash over point being reached.
    The compression ratio is also very bad for bounce and requuirespiston weighting to reduce secondary recoil.
    You got 2 choices.....
    Run the bugger dry with a tinbum kit of no lube required internals.......to prevent dieseling and deal with a slight secondary recoil nuisance...
    Or shove stock steel spring guide down in the piston to kill the secondary.....
    but this being steel will need lubing.....and thus dieseling..
    Its a bugger.
    Ive tried a raft of mix ups of various piston weight top hats and stuff but never fully conquered it for my club fellows......but eventually turfed out for tuned walther 53s, HW70 s, Gamo centers and Feinwerkbaus..
    The Aussie red seal goes a long way to stop the dieseling. The other factors are correct though. But hey ho, if tack driving is required you may a well go with SS Pneumatic or PCP?

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    The Aussie red seal goes a long way to stop the dieseling. The other factors are correct though. But hey ho, if tack driving is required you may a well go with SS Pneumatic or PCP?
    I think I'd be happy with an SSP or MSP, just not a PCP - I don't have the rest of the gear.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    As well as the HW and Webley I have a Diana LP 5 (very powerful and accurate when you master it- actually mine is WAY more powerful than my 45- but still legal naturally) I've rebuilt a couple of Diana 6's (not the full target version) and sold one which funded the 2nd. Excellent but a bit sterile- prefer the '5 for fun.

Would the op consider a SSP? The webley nemesis is an underrated pistol, I've just moved on a 22 version and its new keeper loves it, very accurate. I have HW75, but it seems to have the dreaded main seal/valve problem. Won't hold pressure long enough to load and fire a pellet.

Of course there is always the most tuned pistol ever- Crossman 2240. OK I know it's CO2, but can be tuned and modded into a very accurate and fun pistol. Mine will go to the grave with me
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I had a Browning Buckmark for a while, not massively powerful, but accurate and easy to live with, technically a replica though...

I recently bought a Baikal MP-53 springer, not had chance to fettle it yet, but first impressions are good. There is slight muzzle lift, but it seems able to produce reasonable groups at short range, when I get a case big enough to keep it in, I will be off to the 10m range to see what it can do. It's no powerhouse, but I am looking forward to giving it a good try-out.

No wood in sight, but some Russian owners are creative, modding it with custom carved grips and stocks.

Happy shopping, and let us know what you decide upon.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

'1) I don't really want CO2 or PCP, I like to keep it simple..
    2) I don't want a replica. I don't have a problem with them, they're just not for me.
    3) If there's something that looks like wood on it, I'd like it to be wood.
    4) I would prefer not to buy new.'

FWB 65/80?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Gamo compact?

HW45- spent most of my youth lusting after one. Amazing pistol in theory. In practice its a bit soulless somehow.
    Tempest- Looks fantastic, is fantastic, great to pick up and shoot
    Scorpion- The daddy. Great with a shoulder stock. Great fun. Put a red dot on it. I'd be tempted by a .22 for this one.

Best bet is to get all three. If you can't stretch to that then just get the last two- you wont regret it!

BSA Scorpion pistol, a mans pistol.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    '1) I don't really want CO2 or PCP, I like to keep it simple..
    2) I don't want a replica. I don't have a problem with them, they're just not for me.
    3) If there's something that looks like wood on it, I'd like it to be wood.
    4) I would prefer not to buy new.'

FWB 65/80?
    Given the OP's specification that would have been my suggestion too.

If price is a consideration, then an HW40...

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    /
    I recently bought a Baikal MP-53 springer, not had chance to fettle it yet, but first impressions are good. /
    This is on my want list. £50. brand new? What's not to like?