Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The replica! Can you help?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

The replica! Can you help?

Some of you who will be aware that for many years I have been searching for my wifes Original 75 which was "probably" the first into the UK in 1977 and was modified to fit her, and was the only 75 shot internationaly in competition. I have been unable to find it, and have decided to build a replica (nostalgic old fart!), and also after a search, which has also been the source of some amusement I have now traced a suitable doner and am in the process of aquiring it, so this summer the job will start.

The engineering aspect will be easy and straight forward, shortening, and mods to the trigger, the cheek piece will be built up and on the original I did it with polystyrene covered with grey suede, and I have found at the back of my stock of "bits" some of the original suede material (and you thought you hoarded! its only 40 years), enough to do the replica!

I know the dificult bit will be competition Equipment Control (EC) stickers, I actualy have one GB national squad sticker from the period, and one Dutch period EC sticker which is a good start but I need more. I know its unlikely you will have loose stickers, but do you have any on guns, or boxes, etc, that you could photograph and e mail to me so I can copy them.

Particularly EC comp stickers wanted (or pictures)from 1977 to 1982 for Airgun meetings :-

Surrey Open Airgun 1977 to 1982
    Kent Open Airgun 1977 to 1982
    Hampshire open Airgun 1977 to 1982
    Warwickshire Open Airgun 1977 to 1982

In fact any air gun meeting stickers from that period 1977 to 1982.

The old style GB national squad stickers, which were a union flag with a black surround and "Great Britain National Squad" script.

If you have any, could you photograph and email to me please, I realise the odds of any one having loose stickers is very slim but any help is much appreciated

Thanks Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Started work

The replica build can now start!

I have now aquired the doner, nice example, the system has been attended to by Dave Mercer, and a basic check and inspection has confirmed that it will require no attention.

The trigger will be modded as per the original, by the manufacture of a longer alloy link to bring the trigger back so that it can be set up to be reached by a small hand, and then the trigger guard will be skeletonised as the trigger on full movement will be very close to the back of the guard.

The stock shortening will be done as accutately to the original as possible, and fortunately I have a picture of the original and a standard 75 together so with careful measurement from the picture of both and with some maths I can determine the exact dimension!

The original did not have the black inserts in the stock cut outs, after a lot of research we think this was unique to the very first ones, and we know the original was early '77 and probably the first into the UK and supplied by Dykes specially. The donor has the black, and the lady on seeing the doner commented that hers did not, and that the doner was a much darker walnut. I removed the black plastic inserts and the walnut under is a more golden colour. Not wishing to refinish the stock I thought I'd just clean it, and scrubbed it with soapy water. When it dried out, WOW! what just looked like a darker walnut was 40 years of dirt and wax, it is now a stunning golden walnut with the walnut figuring more distinct and very decorative, just as I and she remembers Originals of the day and it looks stunning especialy with out the black tacky plastic inserts.

So I have accidentaly refinished the stock! Just a coat of boiled linseed soaked into the stippling, and a coat of bees wax, and most (if not all!) of the marks and dings have come out with the dirt and old wax and it looks like new!

The problem area will still be period stickers, I have a few but need more 1977 to 1980, even close up pictures will help as I can then replicate them.

If any one has one of the original 66 type machined black nylon butt spacer blocks I would desparately like one, I have the moulded one supplied with this 75 (and would swap it), but the original being early definately had the solid block type used on the 65 and 66's. Any one help?

The project will continue, unless the original appears out of the wood work!
    Last edited by RobinC; 10-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hand book

Now Bob (zooma), thanks Bob, has suplied the original stlyle machined nylon butt spacer, I have all I need to really start.

The stock is now a lovely golden colour (original Original shade), and I have a selection of period EC stickers from Holland, Germany, and Austria, and patterns to make English ones. I have an original small GB squad sticker, and have even found in parts an original large one, the plain union flag style. We still have her old shooting glasses case, and there on it was a GB squad sticker cut up to fit the case, but I can reassemble it and rebuild it, we have the technology!

I will make a new alloy trigger mount link, a longer one to be able to move the trigger rearward for a smaller hand, and skeletonise the trigger guard so it does not foul, all as done on the original.

The cut to shorten the stock, I'm using the excuse that the workshop is cold, but really I'm leaving it as long as possible as I still live in hope that the original rifle will turn up, and probably ten minutes after I shorten the replica!

Does any one have an original "Original 75" hand book? If they did not wish to part with it, a good copy would do. I've worked out the various trigger adjustments but would still apreciate an originl hand book or a good copy.

Have Fun

I have a case full of old handbooks and advertising brochures from the early 70's - just stuff I acquired at the time as it was helpful to show to the Exmouth club members when I first started the club back in 1971.

Most recruits were new to target shooting and many had no knowledge of air weapon types or availability so this case full of literature was a very useful reference and helped to guide many to their first purchase .

Spare copies of the handbooks were also helpful as some club members managed to dig up used examples of air pistols and rifles from a variety of sources - usually without the handbook (some things never change) and again this proved to be a valuable resource that helped to set up many a trigger !

Over the years this goody bag has been somewhat depleted but I will dig it out and take a look to see if I still have a handbook for your Model 75 - I used to have them with the Original and the Diana badges printed on them - the badge was the only difference between the handbooks !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Well today I took the big step on the replica, I cut the stock to length!

I did use the 1978 picture of her with it alongside a "full size one", printed that and measured the pictures, and then worked out the exact measurement, and guess what, it worked out to the standard dimension that she still has all her current rifles. I even used my old 50 year old tenon saw, which would amost certainly have cut off the original, so its a replica made using the original tools!

I've had forty years of shortening rifles for her, but its still very nervious making! I worked out that I've shortened 8 wooden stock rifles for her over the forty years, counting air, small bore and full bore, and the three most recent ones have been alloy stocks made to measure, so I was not expecting to have to do any more!

I still have the trigger to mod with a new longer link, and the guard to modify to clear, then its the assembly.

Now I've cut the stock to length, I presume the original one will now turn up!

Have fun
    Robin

Also been busy on the 'puter replicating EC stickers from original samples or pictures, but I'm stuck on British Championship EC stickers from 1977 to 1980, the old Cardiff days, any one have an old match rifle or pistol with one of those on it? I just need a picture to copy.

Some one must have one?

Robin

Cardiff British Championships in the late 70's

We both shot in the Original British Champioships in the 70's, she Rifle, me Pistol, and I'm starting to have recolections that although they did some very basic equipment control at those, I'm starting to think they did not attach any stickers in the early ones, and late 70's?

This is based on 40 year ago recolections, surely I'm not the only one on this forum who shot in those meeteings 40 years ago? Was any one else a regular, and can you remember if they did sticker, or not? If they did do you have a sample on an old gun?

I have no stickers from the Cardiff events which I attended until about 1985. I have some photographs somewhere from the events but I don't recall much about equipment control in that era other than clothing checks. Somewhere I have a small National squad sticker amongst my stuff and I still have the full size one on a shooting case.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Good to hear from you Tony, hope you are both well.

I'm coming round to the conclusion that they did not do them then, and I remember the clothing check was, they just looked at it!

EC now is a nightmare for young or new shooters, fastening overlap machine test, thickness of kit measured to 0.1mm (thats on canvass material not metal) stiffness tested to 0.1 mm deflection, boots flexed on a special rig, and then a multitude of measurements checked, it can be an hour process, beam me up Scotty!

If the small squad sticker is available, would really apreciate it.

I'll see if I can find the sticker again, it was in the loft with my old shooting stuff. Won't be soon as I have stuff all over the place, floorboards up in three bedrooms and the bathroom with nothing in the kitchen due to a refit. My shooting stuff seems to have migrated all over the place as well, the sticker may be tucked away in a cartridge box somewhere if I still have it.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Thanks all those who have helped with parts and research, Arthur, Bob, Russ, and Drew, well, its now finished!

I spent yesterday making the trigger linkage, and skeletonising the guard, I'm surprised that other owners have not done this mod as well, as you do need huge hands to reach the trigger, many of the old rifles do seem to be built for giants, and its a far nicer rifle with 2 in sawn off the stock and the trigger that can be reached by normal people.

Then this morning I did the rebuilding. I then shot it for the first time with other than felts, its still a bit oily which needs to be shot out, 40 years ago we only put oil on the outside, but very impressive, just using the tin of pellets I had handy, which was R10 rifle 4.49, I think it would be happier with 4.50. The ten metre 5 shot group was one ragged hole and my rest technique is not that special, and I got it shooting consistent 10.9's at ten metre's rested.

The wife had a quick grope on it, and declared it very heavy! I weighed it and at 4.8 Kg's its identical to her current Walther LG400, but it really shows the difference 40 years has made as that weight is very forward, and most is in the very solid action, where the new rifles are mid balanced. Ergonomics has moved on a lot in 40 years, But, it looks superb.

She'll shoot it next week, so I'll get some pictures then, I did suggest she shot in on her next county team round, but got an old fashioned look so I think that meant no!

Thanks for your help guys, I'll send you all pictures when its christened,

And now I full expect the original to surface!

Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 10-03-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Great stuff, Robin. I was hoping the replica would find its way into competition, unlikely as this may sound. Even a head to head against the Walther.
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Robin,

Excellent

Looking forward to see the pictures

Have fun & a good weekend !

Best regards

Russ

Well done Robin - you have completed your replica and it works!

More good news for you - I have found a mint ( as new) handbook for the Model 75 Match Air Rile complete with warranty document.

This looks like a new and un-read copy and the warranty information is blank - so maybe you could try to register the warranty on your "new build" to see how good the German sense of humour really is

This handbook does not have either the Original or Diana badge/logo printed on it, so maybe you could produce your own "Robin Replica" logo and keep it with your (almost) unique Model 75.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks Bob

That's great, a genuine handbook, the last link, I can look to set up the trigger now, she's not bothered about shooting it, but still said the trigger was a bit spongy!

I have a 40 year old Gunguard case for it, although the original was in a handmade wooden case with club and national stickers from all over Europe, wonder it that's still with the gun?

I'll get her to do a shoot with it, just to see how it compares with her modern one, but surreptitiously it will be an MPL round! Shot at 10 mts, to give a fair handicap!

Have Fun
    Robin