Thread: HW80K optimum barrel length?

HW80K optimum barrel length?

Just got hold of an old one of these (not HC and made in W Germany stamped on it serial number is in the 12XXXXX range) had it for a whole 3 days before I took it apart (new record). The barrel is exactly 12" long as opposed to the standard 410mm.

So is it screwed, and how meaty a Spring will it take to get 12fpe?

Also anybody got any pics of home crowned barrels just to check this ones ok (actually looks like it's been done on a lathe).

Equally are there any other pearls of wisdom regarding these guns (in 0.177) before I start to work on it (tune it up).

Amazingly no Ox spring was present!!!

TIA
    Last edited by HarryPotter; 26-08-2005 at 06:12 PM.
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

Short barrel doesn't mean low power in a springer - different air pulse type to a PCP.

The fenman only has a 7" stubby IIRC and that manages admirably in the power/accuracy stakes

Sounds interesting!

The barrel on my 80k is 12.5" long and still churns out 20 ft.lbs., so no need to worry on that score.

You have lost the choke though, so it could be pellet fussy but accurate nevertheless with the right one.

I'll try my usual diet of JSB / H&NFTT / RWS Superdomes once I have the internals to my own tastes (there was rather a lot of grease in this one, mixed with oil, it was even under the piston seal - and I do mean under).

It did shoot quite nicely even in this state, it's looking good so far

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    At 12 FP, it will shoot better with a short barrel - you could easily go to 10"

At TX200 HC is about 9" IIRC, and was way lew swept volume than an '80
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

At 12" with a Venom Silencer it looks almost 'right', could maybe do with a little more length from the view of aesthetics, so I'll leave it be for now and work on it's guts & the blueing.

i'd go for a 12'' barrel personally,shorter the barrel the more cocking effort you will need.

use a nice square section air force spring instead of those nasty ox things.
    the 80 is very easy to strip,no effort needed to screw the cylinder block back on at all,just remove the trigger mech and safety catch/spring and it will be a doddle.