Thread: Why the Haenel 28-R is on the cover of Hiller's "Guide to Collecting Airpistols

Why the Haenel 28-R is on the cover of Hiller's "Guide to Collecting Airpistols

Being fairly new to collecting vintage air pistols several years ago I did what many people do buy the books on the subject. All of them seemed to be out of print but Hiller's was at least available. Mine was the third addition published in 1993, it gave me a great look at air pistols I had never knew existed plus good commentary, pictures etc.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psenykjrm5.jpg

I started collecting pistols that became available and was having great fun trying to scan sites for pistols in good condition that I could afford. I bought my first Haenel 28 but had to send it back because the breech seal had been damaged, but I liked the feel and look of this gun. When I saw a Haenel 28-R come up I had to own it. It arrived in better condition than I would have hoped.

When I got the gun I noticed it was the gun that Hiller had put on the cover of his book. After having it a while I can see why he did that. I truly wonder if there is a more iconic pistol out there to collect? Here are my reasons:

1. The Luger style and ergonomics is the most admired of all automatic weapons
    2. Milled and blued metal that is absolute perfection. Truely gunsmithing art of a bygone era.
    3. Walnut grips.
    4. Intricate mechanics allowing for repeating shots in a format imitating a normal firearm.

I know some would argue for a better shooting pistol like the FWB 65. I did buy a 65 before the 28-R, amazing engineering, but not to me the collectable art the Haenel 28-R is?
    Last edited by 45flint; 01-02-2017 at 02:08 PM.

For engineering and collectable guns try Webley up to the Premier MK1.

You were lucky to find a Haenel 28-R so early in your collecting career, it took me years. Where do you buy your balls for it? They can be difficult to find.

As for sending a 28 back because the breech seal was damaged, er, why not just replace it?

lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

4.5 balls.

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    For engineering and collectable guns try Webley up to the Premier MK1.

You were lucky to find a Haenel 28-R so early in your collecting career, it took me years. Where do you buy your balls for it? They can be difficult to find.

As for sending a 28 back because the breech seal was damaged, er, why not just replace it?

Just looking at the post about your lack of balls,i picked up at Ciney two Walther tins of 4.5 Rundkugeln ( round) lead balls brand new in unopend
    sealed tins (500) in each. Mint cond. if interested p.m. me.
    Regards Roly.

My 28-R is a .177 so I had a couple of choices. The Gamos I bought just fell out the barrel! I bought some H&N 4.5mm and they work pretty well, only occasionally does it roll out, Lol. H&N also makes a 4.54 round ball which may be the best choice but I haven't tried it. My fear is if this gets stuck in the barrel it will be a pain to get it out, given the repeating mechanism. I looked, if yours is a 22 H&N does seem to make one?
    Last edited by 45flint; 01-02-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post

It was more than the leather seal. It looked to me like someone had dug out the leather seal with a screwdriver? and by doing so broke some of the metal barrel. So you had a ragged inner edge to the metal around the leather seal. It did fire but it tended to disturb the seal a little every time you fired. Really a shame cause the gun was in pretty good shape.

h28

bump up message.

You could get a Walther LP53 which actually shoots better with more power stock but tuneable to a good bit more ....they look beautiful too.
    I recently did a Luger lenght K version of a 53 which is probably the best looking air pistol ive ever seen since i finished the project and shoots with 480 fps with 8.2 grain pellets.
    The 28 is a lovely piece and almost a match for looks.