Thread: Wood figure in grips and stocks - how important to collectability?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wood figure in grips and stocks - how important to collectability?

I work with figured wood and collect wood guitars so I am immediately draw to figured wood. I saw this grip on the internet and was blown away:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psjaq61dro.jpg

Wonder how much value it adds in the vintage market. Did the makers of older guns selectively use these woods or is it just the luck of the draw to run across one?

In my very limited experience of vintage / veteran guns, the makers did not seek out high quality timber.

A well-figured stock certainly attracts me (also well designed & well finished) but I don't think it matters much to the Hardened Collectors amongst us

I would say the same. Certainly when it comes to shotguns, the craftsmen of 1880 - 1930s Britain chose wood based on strength, rather than figure. You see some very plain Purdeys for example. Like you though, I find it a big plus, and have some lovely walnut stocked shotguns.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I think some 'specials' were made by the larger companies like BSA as 'one offs' for selected outlets/customers - obviously at a premium cost, otherwise - it was a luck of the draw thing.
    I remember going into a Gun shop up here and being given the choice of new boxed rifles - obviously, it just depended on what they got in.
    I have several Airsporters of different ages and Mks - I would say that the stocks are all different, they would be as some are walnut and some are beech - however, between my Wife's rifles and mine - none are the same!
    Cannot beat a nice bit of walnut though - by far my preferred choice - with a nice oiled finish to bring out the grain!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

This is a good question. Figure in wood stocks is certainly important to me, though much less so in pistols than rifles for some reason. But I'm not sure it matters that much to other collectors in price terms - a figured stock is a bonus but to most collectors I suspect it comes a distant second to condition.

I covet these two rifles largely because of their stocks, and price-wise the fact of their beauty makes them much more valuable to me.

Diana 75
    FWB 150T
    Last edited by Garvin; 11-10-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Links restored
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    This is a good question. Figure in wood stocks is certainly important to me, though much less so in pistols than rifles for some reason. But I'm not sure it matters that much to other collectors in price terms - a figured stock is a bonus but to most collectors I suspect it comes a distant second to condition.

I covet these two rifles largely because of their stocks, and price-wise the fact of their beauty makes them much more valuable to me.

Diana 75
    FWB 150T
    That FWB, in particular, is quite special indeed. It must surely command a premium?