Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood figure in grips and stocks - how important to collectability?

Wood figure in grips and stocks - how important to collectability?

I work with figured wood and collect wood guitars so I am immediately draw to figured wood. I saw this grip on the internet and was blown away:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psjaq61dro.jpg

Wonder how much value it adds in the vintage market. Did the makers of older guns selectively use these woods or is it just the luck of the draw to run across one?

In my very limited experience of vintage / veteran guns, the makers did not seek out high quality timber.

A well-figured stock certainly attracts me (also well designed & well finished) but I don't think it matters much to the Hardened Collectors amongst us

I would say the same. Certainly when it comes to shotguns, the craftsmen of 1880 - 1930s Britain chose wood based on strength, rather than figure. You see some very plain Purdeys for example. Like you though, I find it a big plus, and have some lovely walnut stocked shotguns.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I think some 'specials' were made by the larger companies like BSA as 'one offs' for selected outlets/customers - obviously at a premium cost, otherwise - it was a luck of the draw thing.
    I remember going into a Gun shop up here and being given the choice of new boxed rifles - obviously, it just depended on what they got in.
    I have several Airsporters of different ages and Mks - I would say that the stocks are all different, they would be as some are walnut and some are beech - however, between my Wife's rifles and mine - none are the same!
    Cannot beat a nice bit of walnut though - by far my preferred choice - with a nice oiled finish to bring out the grain!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

This is a good question. Figure in wood stocks is certainly important to me, though much less so in pistols than rifles for some reason. But I'm not sure it matters that much to other collectors in price terms - a figured stock is a bonus but to most collectors I suspect it comes a distant second to condition.

I covet these two rifles largely because of their stocks, and price-wise the fact of their beauty makes them much more valuable to me.

Diana 75
    FWB 150T
    Last edited by Garvin; 11-10-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Links restored
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    This is a good question. Figure in wood stocks is certainly important to me, though much less so in pistols than rifles for some reason. But I'm not sure it matters that much to other collectors in price terms - a figured stock is a bonus but to most collectors I suspect it comes a distant second to condition.

I covet these two rifles largely because of their stocks, and price-wise the fact of their beauty makes them much more valuable to me.

Diana 75
    FWB 150T
    That FWB, in particular, is quite special indeed. It must surely command a premium?

When it comes to guitars, excellent figure can demand huge interest, and a huge premium, sometimes more than the cost of the guitar? Makes me probably more aware as I look at stocks and grips. I tend to be more than willing to accrue value here even if it was the luck of the draw in the vintage era. Actually could make it all the more rare? This visual effect for me is so pleasing.
    Last edited by 45flint; 01-02-2017 at 10:11 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    When it comes to guitars, excellent figure can demand huge interest, and a huge premium, sometimes more than the cost of the guitar? Makes me probably more aware as I look at stocks and grips. I tend to be more than willing to accrue value here even if it was the luck of the draw in the vintage era. Actually could make it all the more rare? This visual effect for me is so pleasing.
    As mentioned earlier BSA back pre WW1 seems to have used premium / better walnut on some guns that were given as prizes, and I have seen enough (not many but maybe double figures) guns with shotgun grade Walnut that it may have been the case that you could ask for a better grade of wood (they would fit any sight combination / various stock styles / lengths) It seems only logical. The majority of buyers at that time would have been happy just to have the latest gun at a fair old cost to start with , but even then there would have been well heeled types who would have wanted the best I would say personally.

I am lucky enough to have this example;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7607860743867/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7607860743867/

As you rightly say about guitars (I have a couple of nice ones) just say a bookmatched Sikta top can be several hundred pounds as an option, and don't even think about old pre ban felled or cites Brazilian rosewood

ATB, Ed

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    In the early 70's/80's when most target rifle and pistol stocks were Walnut, there was of course a wide variance and getting a nicely figured one was luck, unless you had the direct contacts to ask.

I know the late great Malcolm Cooper (Britains greatest ever shooter) always asked for nice stocks, and I have one of his Walthers now that has a stunning stock, and I asked for a nice figured one when I ordered a GX1 Walther in the 80's, and got it.

Although I'm not what I'd call a collector, I certainly prefer a nice figured stock, so I would say if not a premium it certainly adds to the bargaining power.

I think Danny's FWB is a premium job, FWB did not seem to go in for nice wood so much, so many plain ones, but that is a cracker. A lot of Originals 65, 66, and 75's had nice wood so perhaps they had a better supplier, although Danny's is in a diferent class.
    Last edited by RobinC; 02-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I guess it all boils down to that old chestnut "what is a collector?". If you are the sort that seeks quality as the ultimate goal, then condition, cosmetic appearance, and associated boxes/paperwork will be the driving forces. If you are more interested in rarity, then condition comes very much second. Such collectors would much prefer a tatty Tell 3 pistol to a boxed Haenel 28 with a beautifully figured stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I guess it all boils down to that old chestnut "what is a collector?". If you are the sort that seeks quality as the ultimate goal, then condition, cosmetic appearance, and associated boxes/paperwork will be the driving forces. If you are more interested in rarity, then condition comes very much second. Such collectors would much prefer a tatty Tell 3 pistol to a boxed Haenel 28 with a beautifully figured stock.
    This is a great example, cause I think you could make the case that the rarer pistol is the 28 with a highly figured grip? I have only seen one, like that one. If it was matching on the other side that would really be something, bet it's not.

fancy hand grips

Hi
    I like a nice figured piece of wood , made these hand grips put of a bit of Burr Walnut, for a webley pistol as the old original ones were damaged,
    When I have time I will get the pistol reblued

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...psgbe2rys8.jpg
    http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...psbmqtakn9.jpg

In the 80's both Webley and BSA upped their game with Deluxe and S variants with Walnut to compete with the HW35E which had nice wood. It might have been walnut but these still had little figuring.

Prior to that then its luck unless the rifle was a premium quality as found in some up market outlets and specially selected. Generally what was on any gun depended where the wood was sourced. British, German, Spanish, Italian, American, all had their own sources for their wood depending much on historic, political, diplomatic, contacts and finances. There is a history of wood somewhere as different places were exhausted and the trade moved on to another. Gun stocks have to compete with volume users like furniture makers and the building industry. The wood trade know their wood and the Gun makers know theirs too.

Anyhow, guns are priced up to hit the target market. The small margins ensure there is little wastage so much depends on the quality bought in that year and how long that quality can be maintained before exhausted. Its a volume game and selection is generally just basic quality so anything really nice is luck. Selected wood that has real appeal is very expensive or just picked out at the factory through looking for a lucky one.

A good looking rifle will always sell faster. If you see something that stands out grab it as there might not be another. Modern selling ensures that its pot luck when opening a box as its rare for retail trade to select their stock; wasn't always the case.

What premium? A good looking rifle holds its value better. For collectors then overall condition is more important.

Walnut

Have seen a few airguns in walnut - always nice even if plain .
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 01-10-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Awesome

The walnut figure grip on the Haenel 28 is absolutely awesome. For what its worth, I'd always chose figured walnut over plain.