Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A walnut SR stock + a bit of sycamore...

A walnut SR stock + a bit of sycamore...

I'm moderately chuffed with the result of a bit of experimentation with a walnut SR stock that I got from Dave(state).

The stock as bought from Dave was for a Mark I, and had been shortened in a previous life, with the butt-end drilled for lead weights. Since the shortening cut wasn't square to the stock when viewed from above, and it felt to me as if it needed the missing length replaced (I have three other SR stocks for comparison), the question was how to do it.

It was also an opportunity for a bit of mutilation to the comb/cheek piece to improve (I hope) the general look of the stock in that area. I'd thought that the SR stock was a bit ordinary looking, particularly when compared to the gorgeous Pro-Sport effort, and being fortunate enough to have a PS here to use for inspiration, I sallied forth...

This and this are the end result. Reprofiling the cheek piece area, particularly at the front, here and here to echo the curve of the forend in front of the trigger guard (probably better seen on the overall picture of the left side) got me thinking about how to tackle that extension piece, and what you see is the result. The sycamore has a lovely bit of tiger-striping on it which is only visible from certain directions, and were it not both hard and heavy, would make a cracking stock in its own right. The extension is screwed and glued to the walnut, since the screw heads would be hidden under the recoil pad. Getting the profiles of the convex curve on the stock to match the concave curve on the extension wasn't easy, especially as sanding tended to change the curves from simple curves to compound curves, exaggerating any gaps between the mating faces.

There was a swivel-hole which was filled with a sycamore plug, visible here. The sweep of the joint between the walnut and the lighter wood is the way it is because I think it looks better than a straight cut. It also repeats the sweep of the back of the cheek-piece. The pistol-grip cap is there simply to finish it off.

Despite the curve of the cocking link protruding below the forend, I think that the way the stock tapers away to the front does a lot to improve the lines of the rifle... here.

It's much less clunky looking than the regular effort; there is a picture here of both a walnut and a stripped beech stock for comparison, and the difference in the cheek pad area between standard and modified are pretty clear.

The one aspect of this bodgery that is not entirely satisfactory is the proximity of the cutaway for the breech and the bear-trap button to the top of the chequering panel on the right-hand side, here. I didn't have much option; the stock is for a Mark I, and so the cutaway had to be extended considerably to accommodate the button. The grooves in front of the trigger guard were also reworked a bit at the back end to repeat that sweep of the trigger guard area.

I apologise if some of the pictures are a bit on the gloomy side; should anyone be interested, I could probably do some brighter ones

What do you reckon?

Does it work?

Opinions welcome on how it might have been done better

Pete

Hey Pete - I like!

Definitely improves the lines of the rifle IMO, I do like a bit of "swooping" going on, and you've managed that without going overboard

The blondie bits won't be to everyone's taste, but I think you've pulled it off quite nicely mate - well done

Dan

Sniper 296 Guest
    Nice bit of workmanship there mate

Better than I thought!

Thats my old stock, good job there mate. I hope you get on well with it.

Pete

Hi
    The workmanship is first class I've seen it close up and had my hands on it lovely.
    John
    AA S400 BUSHNELL LEGEND 5-15
    WEBLEY LONGBOW LEGEND 5-15
    FALCON FN8 RAPTER RWG RED DOT

Arrow

Absolutely lovely! Well done.

Very classy, all credit to you.

ATB
    Ray.

Tremedous Job Pete, you've brought it up a treat.
    But don't you think it makes the stripped Beech look dull & boring?
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    But don't you think it makes the stripped Beech look dull & boring?
    Yes, mate, I do

(I'm going to put the beech job to one side for now )

PS Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I didn't put the pics up as an exercise in self-gratification; I was genuinely interested to find out what others thought.

I can't believe there's no-one who thinks it looks crap. Maybe they are just too polite to say so...

Quote Originally Posted by 12" Phut
    PS Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I didn't put the pics up as an exercise in self-gratification;
    Yes you did Pete....

Seriously the stock looks great

Dazz

Quote Originally Posted by dazzpol
    Yes you did Pete....

Dazz

Bugger. Was it that obvious?

That's why you're a copper and I'm not...

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    I particularly like the artistic addition of the trainers featured in the first two photographs - as if discarded nonchalantly in to frame…. such talent.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I particularly like the artistic addition of the trainers featured in the first two photographs - as if discarded nonchalantly in to frame…. such talent.
    Arf, arf

At least I moved the pile of used smalls out of shot...

Nice work Pete.
    If i may be so impertinent... i think i would have added a thin strip of Brass plate between the 2 types of wood.
    IMO that would have done it for me.

Pukka job mate.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by snock
    If i may be so impertinent... i think i would have added a thin strip of Brass plate between the 2 types of wood.
    You're not impertinent...

... you're just wrong