Thread: Rabbit burrows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Get a smoke test pellet used to check soundness of flue's and chimneys. Chuck one down a hole and cover with a sod of earth. Watch the smoke come out of the other holes along with the bunnies.

Unfair advantage? So is an air rifle at 30 yards capable of blowing a hole in ya head!
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

pump the bury full of lighter gas and ignite

Sid Guest

LagomorphHunter Guest
    I have five ferrets that would be more than keen to flush them for you. Roll on ferreting season!

DoubleSIG220 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LagomorphHunter
    I have five ferrets that would be more than keen to flush them for you. Roll on ferreting season!
    Wow, I'd never have guessed those little ferrets preyed upon bunny rabbits?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSIG220
    Wow, I'd never have guessed those little ferrets preyed upon bunny rabbits?
    Lol, cultural differences. In America ferrets are widely kept as pets, whereas in Great Britain they are mainly kept as working or hunting animals, although ferrets as pets is catching on a lot over here.

You basically find a bury, cover all the holes with purse nets, introduce a ferret and kept quiet and still. Then all being well BAM! a rabbit makes an escape attempt via one of the holes and throws itself straight into a self sealing purse net.

You thereupon grab said rabbit quickly (they have a habit of being able to roll themselves out of nets surprisingly quickly), untangle it from the net and dispatch it by hand or with a priest. Whilst you are doing this your mate sticks a replacement net over the hole. Ad infintum or until you run out of rabbits or one of the many thousands of things that can go wrong in ferreting happen, which they will.

The average ferreting session ends with a few soggy rabbits and several hours untangling nets and painfully removing bits of bramble from them.

I haven't even touched on many of the things that happen whilst ferreting, such as what to do if one of the ferrets decides to munch on a few young rabbits and goes to sleep inside the bury (here's a clue, it involves a spade and lots of swearing). You don't always ferret to purse nets, you can do it over shotguns or to a lurcher. I've only been ferreting 6 times (twice over shotguns and the rest purse nets) but it's a very interesting sport with so much to learn.

I'm sure someone will be able to find/write a much better rough guide to ferreting than my amateur description. HTH

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    Try baiting them out with weetbix,dogbiccys,rabbit food draw them futher away from the warren before shooting them
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE

Quote Originally Posted by Sid

One from your personal collection Sid?

Norm

Born Again Guest
    As an addition to the ferret threads above, it's worth looking very carefully for seemingly unused holes when placing the nets, otherwise you send your ferret / polecat down and watch as piles of leaves erupt into running rabbits whilst your nets stay empty. You can also tie a reel of string to ferrets tail to "encourage" it out (note they don't like this very much), and avoid ferreting close to a road, tarmac is much more difficult to dig