Thread: Webley Junior tin grip bits

Webley Junior tin grip bits

I have an old Webley Junior pistol with tin grips that is a bit of a wreck. Not been in working condition for decades and some parts are missing.

If anyone would like any or all of the following parts let me know. All FoC as I can't guarantee they are 100% serviceable, but they may help someone get up and running:

All now gone to new homes!

Piston and washer complete
    Trigger sear with small spring
    Spring guide / end cap + screw
    Grips + screw
    cocking link
    cocking shoe
    barrel - a bit rough at the breech end on the underside

Tom
    Last edited by sevorg; 02-02-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: All parts now gone

Quote Originally Posted by sevorg View Post
    I have an old Webley Junior pistol with tin grips that is a bit of a wreck. Not been in working condition for decades and some parts are missing.

If anyone would like any or all of the following parts let me know. All FoC as I can't guarantee they are 100% serviceable, but they may help someone get up and running:

Piston and washer complete
    Trigger sear with small spring
    Spring guide / end cap + screw
    Grips + screw
    cocking link
    cocking shoe
    barrel - a bit rough at the breech end on the underside

Tom

Hi Tom,
    I would like the grips and screw if possible?

Regards,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Hi Tom,
    I would like the grips and screw if possible?

Regards,
    Mark.
    Hi Mark, they are yours. PM me your address...

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Can I take the bits that Mrto isn't having please?
    And the remainder are yours, good sir! PM me your address..

Quote Originally Posted by sevorg View Post
    Hi Mark, they are yours. PM me your address...

PM on its way!

WANTED ,A cocking aid for one of these neat wee pistols.

Live in hope..Trev

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Well--Tom sent me the broken frame as well as the other bits. Deejayuu managed to work a miracle and repair the frame and sorted the catch.
    I've had a go at putting the gun together and it has been "Fun". I've offered Tom the mechanism back if I cna sort it but he has declined the offer.

SO--on with the tinkering.
    Much messing about and the gun has not been cocking and holding. The piston is worn on the flange that the sear holds it. The sear looked a little worn and so did the cocking link. As the trigger was not the original, and the sear would engage and hold the piston if the trigger was not installed, I thought the trigger might be the problem. By swapping bits over with a working Junior, it appears that it is the piston that is the problem.
    I may be able to get the flange of the piston cleaned up a bit by someone with a lathe, but as this flange in thinner than on later pistons, I would not be entirely comfortable with the amount of "meat" left.
    More "fun" ----The cleaned up piston came back today but still did not look too clever. When I tried it the trigger was a bit suspect. I decided to try the other piston I had in, but to try to use the piston washer off the original. The usual "fun" trying to undo the screw that holds it on ensued. When I got it undone I found the screw size was different to the other piston. Anyhow, the washer was put on the other piston and the pistol put back together. It seems to be ok although there is not much power. I tried it with a newer spring and that was quite hard to cock. The tired mainspring was put in with 2 small spacers but was coilbound, so 1 was removed. If I could find a mainspring somewhere between the 2 it would be quite nice.
    Apart from that, new pins had been put in the linkage but needed peening over as the holes were a bit worn. A set of wooden grips were made using a bit of a patio chair arm and a screw and nut were sorted to secure them. The nut is a bit of rounbar tapped to 3BA and the head of the screw was reduced in diameter and chamfered a bit by using a drill and an angle grinder.
    Pellets don't always seem to seat far enough in, so maybe a touch on the breech end of the barrel with a countersink?
    Anyhow--it looks like it is working and plinking now. maybe it is no longer original but if it works then that is not so bad?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Update.

I used a countersink to get the pellets to seat a bit better in the barrel. The gun is fitted with a very tired mainspring (probably a bit too tired) and I am trying to find a balance between ease of cocking and having a bit of power . A pretty new spring from another Junior was too hard to cock for the purpose intended.

Anyhow---a bit of swapping springs about and trying spacers and I've got something low powered that is (for a Junior) fairly easy to cock. I found a bit of old biro tube that had an ID or around 3/32 (most are smaller) and put that in the rubber breech seal, reckoning that the "powerhouse" isn't going to be producing plastic melting hot gases. It plinked well at that, bring the sights onto target at 7 1/2 yards. However I tried to make a leather breech seal and stuck a bit of aeriel tube down that. I think the washer will need a bit more oil to soak in it and hopefully settle (If not I'll try to make another or refit the rubber one).
    I've just ad a plink and it hit 8 soda water bottle caps on the trot-----which aint bad for a Sh-gged out 85 year old Wobbley
    Last edited by ggggr; 06-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

A "Thank you" to Mark (Mrto) who finding that the grips were a poor fit in his pistol, contacted me and posted the grips off to me. They arrived today and have been reunited with the rest of the pistol.
    So, the 85 year old wreck is back in working condition using most of the original bits.
    Last edited by ggggr; 06-07-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Congratulations,Guy on getting it all back together and in working condition.

A pic or two would be nice if poss'!

ATB,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Congratulations,Guy on getting it all back together and in working condition.

A pic or two would be nice if poss'!

ATB,
    Mark.
    Well I did put up pics but they have gone now. At least a few people saw them before the bbs reverted to the old style (which I like---but I hope we can get direct piccies up)