Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 .177 - Best Ammo?

HW45 .177 - Best Ammo?

Hi All

So I have narrowed my choice down to the hw45 in 177 and all things being equal will be getting one tomorrow!!

While I have pellets lying around that will tide me over for a weekend or two of plinking, what's the consensus (based on experience) for the best ammo for it?

My thoughts are to get the collective opinion and then try the top 2/3/4 to see what suits

Thanks in advance

Geoff

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    I'm using Hobby pellets with mine at the moment, they seem fine. I've bought some of my favourite Superdomes too for tests later on
    Mark

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I've only used Superdomes in mine so far and they seem to be ok BUT.... I haven't mastered the 45 yet and I also need to try a few different pellets so will be interested in replies also.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

I find flatheads best.
    Gecos Hobby etc

Don't have a 45, but I find Hobbys work well in most of my pistols. Also fond of Superfields.

Thing is, different individual guns of the same make will prefer different pellets.

In a .177" 45, I'd start with Hobbys, Gecos, maybe some R10s, and see what worked best. At pistol ranges, the differences won't usually be very great.

I'd go for a .22 and the common persecution seems to say that the HW45 is more suited to the larger pellet.
    Sorry to throw a spanner in the works.

.22 in sub 6 foot pound pistols is not a brilliant idea, .22 is too big and heavy for low power (hw 25's are usually around 4.5 foot pounds not 5.5) a relatively heavy .22 will not be going fast enough to spin to get the gyroscopic efect of the rifling.
    Get a .177 hw 45 then try to borrow a .22 barrel and try both.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

I have a 45 in .22 and it's a great pistol My ammo is Hobbys, which I also use for my Mercury rifle.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

thanks for all of the suggestions so far, anyhow Hobby's seem to be the way forward followed up by Geco's.

Well let plinking commence as I am now the proud owner of a 177 hw45 black star

Enjoy your new pistol.

Here's a tip for you: when cleaning the gun with an oily cloth, AVOID the fibre optic sights at all cost. If oil gets on to them, they become dulled.

Hobby pellets are my recommendation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Enjoy your new pistol.

Here's a tip for you: when cleaning the gun with an oily cloth, AVOID the fibre optic sights at all cost. If oil gets on to them, they become dulled.

Hobby pellets are my recommendation too.
    actually avoid the entire gun with an oily cloth.
    Aluminium alloy is attacked by the emoilents, especially silicones.
    Hence the patches of dulled finish on almost all secondhand 45s and 75s
    It dont need no oily cloth being mainly allow anyway......could just lightly wipe the steel of the cylinder below the outer casing if u really wanted.

Thanks for the tips gents

as to the pellets.....

Well I am equally inaccurate regardless

practise, practise, practise

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    After buying a .177 45 Silver Star last summer, I've amassed a small "arsenal" of pellets which as yet, I've not managed to try out !
    I currently have Hobby's, Econ's, R10's, Miestergulgeln's, Geko's all flatheads and AAFT's, Express, JSB's Exact's and Express. F&TT's, Falc. Acc Plus and Superdomes all domed pellets !
    I again, when eventually I get roung to it, need to trial an FWB 300S with this lot also !

Let you know which is best later !
    “An airgun or two”………

I've had my HW45 for 25 years and for me, H&N Field Target Trophy are the benchmark

One thing I would add is that spring piston design guns 'prefer' lighter ammo so the likes of Hobbies seems a good choice. I say 'prefer' insofar as they tend to produce more FPE with lower weight pellets to a point (the PBA 4 grain rubbish won't do much) and in fact a 6.9 grain hobby might make 30% more muzzle energy than, say, a 10.65 grain Bisley Magnum. Combine that with the naturally loopier trajectory of a heavier pellet and it's easy to see why you should always go for pellets on the light side. A good domed pellet to start with would therefore be a Falcon Accuracy Plus or JSB Exact RS (both 7.33 grain).

It's worth noting that this result is the opposite to what happens with PCP and especially co2 guns where increasing the pellet weight has the tendency to add FPE. This happens a bit with PCPs but a lot with co2 guns.