Thread: Garden plinking

Garden plinking

Trawling through some of the websites I noticed some targets that give some sort of effect when shot be it some sort of noise / smoke / flash or clear breaking effect.

This set me thinking as to whether anyone has any good ideas for home made targets to shoot at that would give a similar effect, basically biscuits would be ideal (but I don't want to get into an internal discussion as to whether I should be eating or shooting the biscuits).

So does anyone have any sort of "recipes" for something I could make that I can shoot to break?

Think the only caveats are cheap to make, environmentally friendly i.e. I can leave it in the garden afterwards and if its something that the wife can make for me then even better!!

Porridge Balls

When I can be bothered I make marble sized balls from some uncooked porridge oats and water, embedding a thin cord (tie a big knot in the end and form the ball around that).

Bake it in the oven until dry and hard - they will keep in an airtight container - bit like boileys for baiting carp.

Hang up at the end of the garden and plink away - when hit you get a lovely cloud of flakes. The oats then get eaten by the birds and other four legged creatures or disappear into the soil.

You can re-use the cords for the next set.

what about ice cubes? maybe frozen with food colouring? you could even buy them buy the bag in the super market if you just wanted plain.

or what about boiling some sugar and pouring it in spots onto a baking tray to make round discs?

In the pound shops you can buy 5 packs of extra strong mints, these make good targets or buy a bag of plaster powder and make your own targets.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

This has got me thinking near to where I live there is a little park some land that they could not build on for some reason with a footpath going through it anyway they planted some trees and bushes there and some small plum / cherry trees I do not mean that the trees was small just the fruit.

when they are in season they drop on to the footpath and tend to end up being crushed under foot so it would be simple to get some and tie string or cotton to the stems and hang them up and use them for target practice there is no reason that you could not use any unwanted fruit when we had apple trees there was loads of fallers that could have been used if only we had given it a thought.
    Last edited by beagle2; 05-02-2017 at 01:59 PM.

I find magpies most reactive -
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    In the pound shops you can buy 5 packs of extra strong mints, these make good targets or buy a bag of plaster powder and make your own targets.
    Pffft... real shooters use Parma violets 😂👍
    Donald

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    At 50 yards I can hit the hole in a polo mint every time
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    At 50 yards I can hit the hole in a polo mint every time
    Hit the hole or miss the hole???

thanks for the suggestions particularly like the porridge balls and the boiled sugar ideas!!

cheers

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    Hit the hole or miss the hole???
    Well that's where I am aiming and do not hit the polo so clearly........
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Well that's where I am aiming and do not hit the polo so clearly........
    I meant as in the glass half full/half empty expression.

And I just thought....... 177 or 22?

I use Mint Imperials, hit them dead centre they explode nicely into dust.

In the autumn I shoot windfall plums. Having a stone in the middle makes for a satifying splat, even with a .177 HW45.

Grapes on cocktail sticks are good. Hit them properly they let out a little wine