Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you display your guns, and how do you do it?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Do you display your guns, and how do you do it?

On another thread there has been much discussion about cased pistols, where such guns are generally presented in a very appealing way. But what about those rare collectables that never came with cases? Do you just stash them away in a cupboard to be looked at when the mood takes you, or do you have some of way of having them on show, so that not only are they kept secure but also look their best? I suppose rifles present the greatest problem if you don't have much wall space.

I have my own preferences, but I would be interested to hear other collectors' takes on this (ideally with pictures).

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I don't but its not to say that IF I had something of, well lets say was particurlarly attrative, I may consider it !
    “An airgun or two”………

This is a great question especially as I have started to acquired quite a few nice guns. To me it's a shame to have these metal and wood works of art sit in boxes. I have not done it but I am probably going to empty a recessed built-in book, shelf area in my bedroom and make it my airgun "museum". There is room at the top for rifle racks and shelves for gun display. It's one of my next projects. When it's done I'll post a picture. Would be most interested in what others have done, I could use some ideas on how to best use this space.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Can't find it, but about four years ago, as many members may remember, there was a similar sort of thread to this, which an American chap called 'Frank' posted a link to some photos of his modest collection on (sorry, but can't remember Frank's BBS user name for the life of me).

Anyway, I sincerely hope 'Frank' happens across this here thread, too -- and that he does the same again -- as Frank's Airgun collection and aligned display is truly AWESOME, and I for one, would LOVE to see his photos of the same, again.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

frakor ?

ATB Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

frakor ?
    Now that rings a bell. Cheers Mick, I'll go have a nosey when reunited with my laptop, later, as am currently out and on an iPad mini, which I find impossible to cut and paste links on/with.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Now that rings a bell. Cheers Mick, I'll go have a nosey when reunited with my laptop, later, as am currently out and on an iPad mini, which I find impossible to cut and paste links on/with.
    Nope, not him, as frakor is a fine fellow from the Nederlands, and I'm certain the 'Frank' that I have in mind is from America. Good shout, Mick, anyway, as was worth a try (cheers). Any more suggestions ???

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    frakor ?

ATB Mick

No need for that

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post

No need for that

LOL.

I have a collection of 100 or so - mostly rifles - and do not have sufficient wall space to to display them and they are stored in converted wardrobes/cupboards in a spare bedroom.
    However a few years ago when visiting a fellow collector to make a purchase he showed me his collection displayed in a spare room and it was quite impressive. He had lined the walls with peg-board and all his rifles and most of his pistols were resting on pegs attached to the board all round the room.
    Against one wall was a large 'museum-style' sloping glass-topped display case (which he had bought at auction) where his boxed pistols were exhibited. The south facing window was permanently covered in a blind to prevent fading to the rifle stocks.
    According to him though the major downside to this arrangement was taking down each rifle every few weeks and dusting/cleaning them since dust will settle on any horizontal surface and they became quite dirty if not cleaned periodically.
    Although my own collection is not on display I do not have the problem of frequently cleaning them!

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Can't find it, but about four years ago, as many members may remember, there was a similar sort of thread to this, which an American chap called 'Frank' posted a link to some photos of his modest collection on (sorry, but can't remember Frank's BBS user name for the life of me).

Anyway, I sincerely hope 'Frank' happens across this here thread, too -- and that he does the same again -- as Frank's Airgun collection and aligned display is truly AWESOME, and I for one, would LOVE to see his photos of the same, again.
    It wouldn't be Frankie (21grains) you were thinking of mate? (He's American!)
    Lovely Guy!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

One of the things that we need to be wary of, the way I understand it, is that, even though there are very few restrictions on ownership here in (parts of) the U.K. a householder owning an airgun, automatically commits an offence the moment a person under the age of 18 years of age enters the property if the gun is not locked away.
    Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post

It wouldn't be Frankie (21grains) you were thinking of mate? (He's American!)
    Lovely Guy!

ASM
    Could be? And yes he is, isn't he. About to start the bed time routine for my three monsters, now, and after that it'll be time for a glass of cider and some telly, so will have a cyber-search tomorrow. Night all. zzzz

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Could be? And yes he is, isn't he. About to start the bed time routine for my three monsters, now, and after that it'll be time for a glass of cider and some telly, so will have a cyber-search tomorrow. Night all. zzzz
    Sounds like a plan!
    Goodnight!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

I made a unit set in to an alcove years ago with leaded glass doors but I let the wifw talk me out of keeping my guns in there!, It was so that she could put her thousands of Videos and DVD's in it

Pic

And with the doors open

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/