Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Straight Grip Webley Senior

The Straight Grip Webley Senior

This applies to the pre war Straight Grip Senior only with serial numbers under S7000.

Does anybody know of a straight grip Senior with a serial number under S500? A couple of well respected collectors have questioned whether any exist and wondered if these pistols were introduced at SN S500 as no lower numbers are presently known.

Also, straight grip Seniors with numbers in the S5000 - S6999 serial number range seem quite thin on the ground. Anybody have one?

Just to emphasise, I'm only asking about straight grip Seniors and not post war slant grip pistols with low batch numbers.

Many thanks,

John

sraight grip seniors.

Good morning John.
    Just looking through my list of seniors which happen to be my favourite Webley pistol, i do have straight grip model number S951. which if m
    emory serves me right is 1930 the first year of production of this model.It is .177 in very good condition and boxed. (repro. box).

Any body got a early number.
    Regards Roly.

Thanks Roly,

The earliest number I know of if S503 and I own S542. It would be interesting to learn of any under S500.

Kind regards,

John

pjbingham is online now My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Morning John, Interesting thread,I've personally never seen a Pre War Straight grip Senior below S500. Is there a list anywhere along the lines of the Webley batch number thread? I own S1922 and S2139.
    S2139 is sadly missing it's barrel though.
    I have recently cast a small number of grips for the Senior/Mk2 Target which has helped get afew of these oldies back into service,furthest so far is in Canada.

My serial number is S 4141
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Morning John, Interesting thread,I've personally never seen a Pre War Straight grip Senior below S500. Is there a list anywhere along the lines of the Webley batch number thread? I own S1922 and S2139.
    S2139 is sadly missing it's barrel though.
    I have recently cast a small number of grips for the Senior/Mk2 Target which has helped get afew of these oldies back into service,furthest so far is in Canada.
    Thanks for sharing. I don't think there is a list, although I know of 43 examples myself, including the two you have kindly added and the one mentioned by Lodmoor. Of those 43, only 3 pistols are in the S5000 - S6999 range.

Kind regards,

John

The lowest I have is 2550
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Straight grip senior's

Hi John
    I have 2 both .22'S S4063 and S5196

ATB Chris.

Thank you Mr Gen and Chris.

Chris, Does S5196 have full international patents stamped on either side of the cylinder or just three?

Kind regards,

John

pjbingham is online now My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I don't think there is a list, although I know of 43 examples myself, including the two you have kindly added and the one mentioned by Lodmoor. Of those 43, only 3 pistols are in the S5000 - S6999 range.

Kind regards,

John
    Your thread is starting to look like a list already

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    The lowest I have is 2550
    Your pistol must have been fished the same month as mine S2255 IN 177 + S3773 IN 22 & S20002 IN 177 RETAILER STAMPED PAP GUNS NEWCASTLE

Hi,
    I have s3977 in .177. Sold by Redmayne & Todd Nottingham for 45- according to the sticker on the box.

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    Your pistol must have been fished the same month as mine S2255 IN 177 + S3773 IN 22 & S20002 IN 177 RETAILER STAMPED PAP GUNS NEWCASTLE
    Thanks for sharing details all. This is certainly starting to look like a list. I have a passion for the straight grip Senior as they have that classic semi auto 1920s/30s profile, which I find very attractive. I also prefer shooting it over other pre war Webleys, including the more streamlined slant gripped Seniors.

Splosh, Is S2002 stamped with Pape's details along the backstrap? I'm assuming it is a 3 pin frame?

John

Quirky Number!

Hi All,

Interesting thread this John - for what its worth my Straight Grip senior is numbered S2892 and is a .177.

In terms of the numbering, however, it has a quirk. I believe (from Bruce’s book and what I have read elsewhere) that the three numbers stamped on the muzzle end of cylinder on these Webley’s are meant to correspond with the last three of the serial number (stamped above the grip). Hence, in my case the number on the end of the cylinder should be 892.

Yet, the three numbers are actually 368 (At first glance they don’t match).

However, when you look at the serial number of my pistol upside down it actually looks like 3683S. Hence, it appears that the first three numbers (when read upside down!) have then been stamped on the end of the pistol!

I wonder if other’s have come across any similar anomalies on these pistols (or indeed on the other pre-WW11 Webley pistols)?

Best

Olly

The Straight Grip Webley Senior

Hi John
    My two straight-grip Seniors are nos. 1376 and 1182

John