Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a collectible air rifle privately using paypal

Purchasing a collectible air rifle privately using paypal

If I purchase an air rifle from another forum user paying by PayPal and it gets lost would I be able to claim my money back from PayPal?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    As far as I am aware Paypal forbids the purchase of guns and as such you would not be able to make a claim under any circumstances. People who insist on Paypal for the purchase of air rifles are probably thinking they have some security if the item is not as described etc, in reality you have nothing where Paypal is concerned.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Following on from this does this also apply to Bows and crossbows as well or are they under PayPal goods and services banner.

Atb

Quote Originally Posted by norris View Post
    If I purchase an air rifle from another forum user paying by PayPal and it gets lost would I be able to claim my money back from PayPal?
    To be fair, you'd by asking Paypal to pull the funds back from the seller. Paypal themselves aren't going to cover anything.

And as said, buying or selling airguns is prohibited by Paypal, so attempting to start a dispute under these circumstance would likely result in the buyers and sellers accounts being suspended.

That being said, if you trust the seller/buyer, paypal is a convenient and quick method to transfer funds! I've done it hundreds of times. If something gets lost, it really should be parcelforce you are taking it up with... if you are worried about whether the buyer has posted it in the first place, ask for a pic of the parcel in the post office with the tracking receipt before the lass puts it with the other parcels. I always do that when selling as peace of mind for my buyer.
    Donald

Insurance

Hi
    I just get the sellers bank details, Account No, Bank Sort code, and the name on the account and pay the cash into any bank direct, that gives you proof you have paid, parcel force will insure the package.

Parcel force insurance will only pay out 100 quid so if they ask if you want to pay extra you say no
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Parcel force insurance will only pay out 100 quid so if they ask if you want to pay extra you say no
    Are you sure this is correct? When I posted an air pistol which I sold I got a higher level of cover for a relatively small outlay. The following is from their website and shows the cost of the extra level of compensation cover. Look on Parcel Force Website and search for "enhanced cover"

£1.80 including VAT for the first extra £100 cover and £4.50 including VAT for every subsequent £100

Hope this clears things up.

I just scoured the parcel force website there and it would seem you are absolutely correct. That's what I get for regurgitating bad info...
    It seems that they will pay out compo as long as relevant terms and conditions are adhered to for specific items... now if you could only find those I would be impressed!
    Donald

Paypal

Just do a bank transfer its free and if there is a problem you can walk into your bank and discuss any problem
    Try talking to Pay Pal ?

paypal wont refund you,also if the item is lost or damaged the seller,i believe has to do all the legwork with the carrier,i personally would pack it up extremely well and send via a reputable,if a bit more costly courier co,
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I just scoured the parcel force website there and it would seem you are absolutely correct. That's what I get for regurgitating bad info...
    It seems that they will pay out compo as long as relevant terms and conditions are adhered to for specific items... now if you could only find those I would be impressed!
    Arms and Ammunition - low powered air weapons Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:

These items must be sent on an express48 service only
    These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter
    Enhanced compensation cover is not available
    That's from here Donald.

Thanks RM... so it is correct... no compo over 100 quid
    Donald

and antiques are not allowed to be sent,lots of petty rules and regulations for something as simple as sending an airgun,no wonder the country is going down the pan.

Wots it all coming too

Quote Originally Posted by martin bingham View Post
    and antiques are not allowed to be sent,lots of petty rules and regulations for something as simple as sending an airgun,no wonder the country is going down the pan.
    Agreed my friend .
    Jimny's Simple Solutions :
    - Pack well - and I mean well .
    - Paypal ALWAYS . Its a financial platform - they cannot enforce anti airgun rules .
    My Bank Details to total strangers????? - do I look that dim .
    - Ban all members who state ' fact to face deals only ' - well in an ideal world on an ideal internet community lol .