Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luger replica pistol - which one?

Luger replica pistol - which one?

I've always had a thing for the Luger and having recently seen two at Carlisle Military Museum (a WW1 version with wood grips and a WW2 version) I really fancy a co2 copy but which make?

Both the Umarex legend and the Gletchers look accurate copies but has anyone got one or even both??

Are the grips on the Gletcher P08 actually wood?

Is it worth paying extra for the blowback version of the Umarex legend?

So which is best and can either fire pellets or are they strictly BB?

Any info very welcome, I've seen neither of these guns in the flesh and will have to order one blind from my rfd.

cheers

Ed

PS I don't want anything with 'Made in China/Taiwan' on the side, that would totally ruin it for me!

Grips are plastic. BB only.

I too have been tempted, and gave in with a Mauser C96, even though I generally do not like BB firers.

I could probably not give in to temptation if they offered a 6" barrelled Navy or (please!) an 8" barrelled Artillery model with tangent sight, detachable stock and "trommel" magazine.

Why not buy a deactivated real Luger

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Well- been here myself.

I bought a really nice Airsoft Luger navy replica from Mike at Elite Shooting some years back before the stupid VCR rules were enforced. A very realistic replica but shoots 6mm airsoft shot.

Last year I bought a KWC BB blowback replica from my local dealer.

It's good- very good. The detail and construction is excellent. It strips just like the real steel (in fairness so did the airsoft pistol) The grips are plastic, but I've bought some wood grips from India of all places, these will need a bit work on the inside to make fit but it's doable. The pistol itself has a very brisk blowback action, so much so you are hardly aware of it- probably like the real thing considering a fairly substantial bit of engineering is doing its thing in front of your face. Impressively scary- let someone else shoot it and watch from the side.

Inho you have to buy a blowback Luger- nothing else captures the whole point of it.

Oh and before you ask- is it accurate? Sorry- not relevant, the pleasure is in the design and function. It MAY hit a can at 10yds- but frankly who cares
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Tony has nailed it here.

You only buy a blowback Luger, no point otherwise (unless you are a limp wristed lefty communist wierdo).

The KWC is the best model without doubt, it is sold under numerous brands though, Gletcher included. If you do buy a Gletcher make sure you buy the Gletcher Parabellum rather than the Gletcher P08.

The Parabellum is the KWC model and has a more realistic action, full sized magazine and stores the CO2 in the mag rather than in the pistol.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Wondering, is the Umarex 'Legends' Blowback a KWC, it's a little cheaper?
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

As above, my mates tell me the KWC is the best offering. I think the P08 Luger is the most ergonomic pistol to hold, thats why I love the Schimel CO2 pistol as well. Carried a 1913 Erfurt Luger for self defence in South Africa for a while until I swapped it for a Smith model 39.
    Baz.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by ejackyou View Post
    Wondering, is the Umarex 'Legends' Blowback a KWC, it's a little cheaper?
    Yes, it looks like it is.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Kwc!

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Yes, it looks like it is.
    Love my action pistols, and have bought the 'holy trinity' of Colt 1911/P08/C96 (M712 variant) made by KWC as they seem to offer the most realism for the best price.

Another vote for the KWC version. The action is superb and it is easy to weather the finish if you want which, as a bonus, more or less removes the obtrusive lettering. I have wooden grips bought separately which I am currently adjusting to fit (thank you Dremel!).

Umarex do a weathered version (probably made by KWC) at a frighteningly high price with "WW2" emblazoned on the side which totally spoils the look.

So - as others have said go for the branded KWC version

Be aware that in cold weather this pistol struggles to do many shots or blowback properly.
    It's a lot of work for one co2 capsule to move that action!

In summer it's fine but you still don't get many shots.

The cheap non blowback Luger rather shows it up in this respect and also has more power.
    So it's a poor replica but a better bb pistol.
    Last edited by gingernut; 12-02-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I do not get this deactivated thing many years ago I got a Welthar PPK it was a beautiful thing the bluing was really good but two things really bugged me one was to see the mess that they had made of the inside stopping it from working.

The second thing was after you have played with it and looked at it what good is it if they could have converted it to shoot bbs like the Markov that would be good in the end I got bored with it and sold it I am afraid that I like my toys to do something not just be an expensive ornament.

Paperweights in my view.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    'cos that's just several hundred quids worth of paperweight that you can't shoot with.
    Should have read gingernut's post before I wrote that
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    'cos that's just several hundred quids worth of paperweight that you can't shoot with.
    Should have read gingernut's post before I wrote that
    Yeah but look at the history behind the real Luger.Collectors that have live firing all matching numbers Lugers dont bother to fire them.

Oh Yes and mine is now worth today about five times what I bought it for (not that I want to sell it). That aint gonna happen with Your air gun Lugers
    Last edited by lew07; 11-02-2017 at 09:37 PM.